MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

156 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7318
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Hound » 16 Sep 2018 20:10

Yeah that pretty much

Zip
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2136
Joined: 30 Dec 2017 17:39

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Zip » 16 Sep 2018 20:51

Central midfield has been our biggest weakness both in terms of creating and defending. For a change our midfielders were creative yesterday. I still don’t think Kelly and Swift can play in the same midfield especially as both are poor defensively. I suspect we will see them on Wednesday night though.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5074
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 12:25

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Nameless » 16 Sep 2018 21:09

Snowflake Royal wrote:
Nameless wrote:
windermereROYAL wrote:
I`m surprised they count blocked shots in those stats too, saw it in the paper this morning, had 5 blocked, it wasn`t plus it was included . 8 off target 10 on target, agree thats alot.



In a number of games we seemto have conceded a lot of shots however we have actually been defending reasonably well and a lot of the shots are hopeful long range efforts.
As with many football stats the numbers are fairly meaningless.
I’d say it is much more impressive to score a number of goals from a lowish number of shots than few goals from lots of shots.

If you look at the Championship Team Stats on Whoscored, we're 7th in terms of the teams with the highest percentage of shots conceded outside the box.

.


Like many modern stats I,m not really sure what that means !
Do you mean absolute numbers of shots rather than % ?
Or do you mean % outside the box compared to inside ?

User avatar
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 10597
Joined: 19 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: With grace we will suffer, with grace we shall recover

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Sep 2018 21:28

Lower West wrote:
From Despair To Where? wrote:It will be interesting to see where Ezatolahi fits into Clement's plans. It sounds like he could add a bit of steel and solidity to midfield which is what we need.


Will he make the grade? A player with potential. Unlikely to be a saviour.


Doesn't need to be a saviour, just needs to provide the bit of grit that we've been missing since Danny Williams left.

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18237
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by leon » 16 Sep 2018 21:57

From Despair To Where? wrote:
Lower West wrote:
From Despair To Where? wrote:It will be interesting to see where Ezatolahi fits into Clement's plans. It sounds like he could add a bit of steel and solidity to midfield which is what we need.


Will he make the grade? A player with potential. Unlikely to be a saviour.


Doesn't need to be a saviour, just needs to provide the bit of grit that we've been missing since Danny Williams left.


Williams?

We’ve missed a defensive midfielder since Leigterwood (sic) left.

He really was top quality.


User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4409
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2018 22:23

Nameless wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
Nameless wrote:

In a number of games we seemto have conceded a lot of shots however we have actually been defending reasonably well and a lot of the shots are hopeful long range efforts.
As with many football stats the numbers are fairly meaningless.
I’d say it is much more impressive to score a number of goals from a lowish number of shots than few goals from lots of shots.

If you look at the Championship Team Stats on Whoscored, we're 7th in terms of the teams with the highest percentage of shots conceded outside the box.

.


Like many modern stats I,m not really sure what that means !
Do you mean absolute numbers of shots rather than % ?
Or do you mean % outside the box compared to inside ?

It's percentage and it's broken down into:
Inside 6 yard box
Inside 18 yard box
Outside box

It's a niche and limited stat, but it does support that we restrict a lot of the shots against us to long distance ones.

User avatar
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 11271
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 12:42
Location: Propping up the bar in the Nags

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Stranded » 17 Sep 2018 08:53

If you put any stock in xG, shows we did a little bit of a smash and grab on Preston who xG suggests should have won 3-2 (2.5xG V 1.5) rather than lost. Will take that any day of the week though.

Important to get off the mark - and with 2 other teams who have struggled so far this season coming up at home, a chance to start to build a little bit of form before we have to go to Griffin Park.

Most impressive thing at the mo is we are starting to look very had to beat away from home. Arguably unlucky at Forest and then undefeated in 3 on the road, scoring 6 in the process. If we can keep being solid away and sort out home form, then we will be comfortable.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4576
Joined: 03 Sep 2013 15:56
Location: What are those arseholes doing on the porch?

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 17 Sep 2018 15:07

Stranded wrote:If you put any stock in xG, shows we did a little bit of a smash and grab on Preston who xG suggests should have won 3-2 (2.5xG V 1.5) rather than lost. Will take that any day of the week though.

Important to get off the mark - and with 2 other teams who have struggled so far this season coming up at home, a chance to start to build a little bit of form before we have to go to Griffin Park.

Most impressive thing at the mo is we are starting to look very had to beat away from home. Arguably unlucky at Forest and then undefeated in 3 on the road, scoring 6 in the process. If we can keep being solid away and sort out home form, then we will be comfortable.


Before we get carried away, I think we need to appreciate that Preston have their own problems at the moment, so this win is difficult to gauge. But with two home games against moderate opposition coming up, there seems to be an opportunity here to overturn our dismal form. But lets be honest, we've been seeing us miss these opportunities for a year now, the team actually have to start doing something for me to start to believe. Pure hope has got me nowhere for quite some time now. I cant see how we can be considered 'comfortable' with a grand tally of zero points at home.

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2951
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: We should never ponder on our thoughts today cos they hold sway over time

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by John Smith » 17 Sep 2018 15:29

Dr_Hfuhruhurr wrote:
Stranded wrote:If you put any stock in xG, shows we did a little bit of a smash and grab on Preston who xG suggests should have won 3-2 (2.5xG V 1.5) rather than lost. Will take that any day of the week though.

Important to get off the mark - and with 2 other teams who have struggled so far this season coming up at home, a chance to start to build a little bit of form before we have to go to Griffin Park.

Most impressive thing at the mo is we are starting to look very had to beat away from home. Arguably unlucky at Forest and then undefeated in 3 on the road, scoring 6 in the process. If we can keep being solid away and sort out home form, then we will be comfortable.


Before we get carried away, I think we need to appreciate that Preston have their own problems at the moment, so this win is difficult to gauge. But with two home games against moderate opposition coming up, there seems to be an opportunity here to overturn our dismal form. But lets be honest, we've been seeing us miss these opportunities for a year now, the team actually have to start doing something for me to start to believe. Pure hope has got me nowhere for quite some time now. I cant see how we can be considered 'comfortable' with a grand tally of zero points at home.

It's quite clear neither of you went to the game (unlike me) and therefore have no idea about what actually happened. Stats boy seems to think we should have lost - we were miles the better side and only rode our luck when they hit the woodwork. I thought the goalkeeper was immense, Leandro Bacuna was immense and showed his obvious Premier League class and there was a general sense of belief throughout the squad we haven't seen up until now, probably since the turn of the year.

I really think this will be a turning point and we can expect another three points on Wednesday when an equally poor [as Preston] side roll into town.


User avatar
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 11271
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 12:42
Location: Propping up the bar in the Nags

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Stranded » 17 Sep 2018 15:36

John Smith wrote:
Dr_Hfuhruhurr wrote:
Stranded wrote:If you put any stock in xG, shows we did a little bit of a smash and grab on Preston who xG suggests should have won 3-2 (2.5xG V 1.5) rather than lost. Will take that any day of the week though.

Important to get off the mark - and with 2 other teams who have struggled so far this season coming up at home, a chance to start to build a little bit of form before we have to go to Griffin Park.

Most impressive thing at the mo is we are starting to look very had to beat away from home. Arguably unlucky at Forest and then undefeated in 3 on the road, scoring 6 in the process. If we can keep being solid away and sort out home form, then we will be comfortable.


Before we get carried away, I think we need to appreciate that Preston have their own problems at the moment, so this win is difficult to gauge. But with two home games against moderate opposition coming up, there seems to be an opportunity here to overturn our dismal form. But lets be honest, we've been seeing us miss these opportunities for a year now, the team actually have to start doing something for me to start to believe. Pure hope has got me nowhere for quite some time now. I cant see how we can be considered 'comfortable' with a grand tally of zero points at home.

It's quite clear neither of you went to the game (unlike me) and therefore have no idea about what actually happened. Stats boy seems to think we should have lost - we were miles the better side and only rode our luck when they hit the woodwork. I thought the goalkeeper was immense, Leandro Bacuna was immense and showed his obvious Premier League class and there was a general sense of belief throughout the squad we haven't seen up until now, probably since the turn of the year.

I really think this will be a turning point and we can expect another three points on Wednesday when an equally poor [as Preston] side roll into town.


Well, I watched the game but there you go.

What I saw was a much improved performance in a game we could have easily lost - we took the only 3 real chances we created, which is great. Preston had a number of chances and we did ride our luck. This could be the start of a decent run but as Dr. H said we need to make it count now - 3 of the next 4 are at home against Norwich, Hull and QPR - 3 teams who have started nearly as badly as we have.

We need to capitalise on the belief that appears to have returned a bit on Saturday and see where we go but a target of 8 points from the next 12 would be a great recovery and push us toward mid-table.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1404
Joined: 18 Sep 2004 15:36
Location: Kent

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by KC Royal » 18 Sep 2018 08:17

Snowflake Royal wrote:
Zip wrote:
Hound wrote:Just from the highlights, couple of nice bits of play by Swift

I don’t mind him and Bacuna in the middle - have a bit of dynamism and creativity about them. Be interested to see how Kelly played

Lovely bit of play by Sims on the third - laid it on a plate.

That bit of play by their #12 on their first goal was comically inept. Kind of thing we are used to seeing tbh


Yes it was good to see Sims deciding to take the ball to the by line and cut it back for Bacuna. Decent through ball by Swift to Baldock who supplied a decent finish. Lovely backheel by Swift and good work by Aluko with Ilori quick off the mark for our second goal.


I thought our first goal looked a little suspect. Swift jumped all over the Preston player who stopped, and then a hint of possible offside for Baldock. I'm not complaining though.

I saw the second half and Kelly and Swift both showed more of what they're capable of, but still flashes of the things people don't like about them. Didn't see Bacuna do much wrong, which is a positive after what I've thought were some pretty lackluster displays from him recently. And all of them contributed to our goals.

Swift played to the whistle and won the ball, then played a good pass through to Baldock to finish.
Swift combined well with Aluko at a short corner for Sone to cross for Ilori to score.
Bacuna broke forward well with a good pass to Kelly, who played a good pass to Sims, who put in a good cross for Bacuna to finish.
Swift was also close to another goal from (I think) a peach of a Kelly cross.

I fear it wouldn't take much for that midfield to have another terrible day at home and get out fought and overrun. But it also ought to be a pretty top combination in this division if they all find some form and play to close to their potential.

I find it difficult to criticise Aluko too strongly for this game given he got an assist at a time when we could easily have folded and gone on to lose.

The balance with the front three / four isn't quite there yet, but that result will have done us the world of good. We just have to string it together with another good performance and result at home. I'm not sure another score draw is good enough but I'd take it, a 0-0 would be fine and a win would be excellent. If we can do the miraculous and get three wins on the bounce, or two and a draw - hopefully with a clean sheet somewhere, that would be amazing.


I saw the whole game and thought Bacuna was awful in the first half and was wondering what's happened to him. You definitely saw the best of him as I thought he was great 2nd half. I too thought it was a foul for the 1st goal, even more so after seeing the highlights. Hadn't considered offside but it was close. The best game I've seen from Swift for ages, but that isn't saying much! Aluko got the assist, but not surprisingly thought he was poor otherwise. Not sure what more Sims has to do to get a start, even if we have to play Aluko he could play on the other side instead of Meite. Only on for 15 mins or so but he did more than both of them even in that short space of time.

Also, was impressed with Walker, Mannone might struggle to get back in the team when fit. Even in a position that I didn't expect him to play pre-season I was impressed with Yiadom too. Ilori MOTM for me (and the Football League paper too).

I'm with Stranded, it was a smash and grab win and we rode our luck, couldn't believe we were level at HT.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4289
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 00:17
Location: I want to bathe with you in the sea.

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Sep 2018 08:34

John Smith wrote:
Dr_Hfuhruhurr wrote:
Stranded wrote:If you put any stock in xG, shows we did a little bit of a smash and grab on Preston who xG suggests should have won 3-2 (2.5xG V 1.5) rather than lost. Will take that any day of the week though.

Important to get off the mark - and with 2 other teams who have struggled so far this season coming up at home, a chance to start to build a little bit of form before we have to go to Griffin Park.

Most impressive thing at the mo is we are starting to look very had to beat away from home. Arguably unlucky at Forest and then undefeated in 3 on the road, scoring 6 in the process. If we can keep being solid away and sort out home form, then we will be comfortable.


Before we get carried away, I think we need to appreciate that Preston have their own problems at the moment, so this win is difficult to gauge. But with two home games against moderate opposition coming up, there seems to be an opportunity here to overturn our dismal form. But lets be honest, we've been seeing us miss these opportunities for a year now, the team actually have to start doing something for me to start to believe. Pure hope has got me nowhere for quite some time now. I cant see how we can be considered 'comfortable' with a grand tally of zero points at home.

It's quite clear neither of you went to the game (unlike me) and therefore have no idea about what actually happened. Stats boy seems to think we should have lost - we were miles the better side and only rode our luck when they hit the woodwork. I thought the goalkeeper was immense, Leandro Bacuna was immense and showed his obvious Premier League class and there was a general sense of belief throughout the squad we haven't seen up until now, probably since the turn of the year.

I really think this will be a turning point and we can expect another three points on Wednesday when an equally poor [as Preston] side roll into town.

Do you really think we were miles better?
Preston had more possession, more shots, more shots on target, higher pass accuracy, more aerial duels won and more successful tackles.

I get it if you don't care about the stats and prefer to focus on what you saw but what I saw were 2 more or less even teams. I think the goals we scored were well worked (well the first was a bit lucky but still took skill and alertness) and the goals we conceded were sloppy but despite that Preston never looked poor enough to concede 3 goals, they showed resilience and strength throughout rather than letting their heads drop as we so often have.

The only reason I thought a draw would be an unfair result was that the goals we conceded were pretty unlucky compared to the ones we had scored however they were caused, in some part, by poor play from certain players.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7318
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Hound » 18 Sep 2018 08:46

for the first goal, that was never a foul in a million years. Awful play from the #12, leaned into Swift, bent over and then stopped still looking at the ref.

Kind of thing I've come to expect of Aluko or Gunter on a particularly poor day


NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4289
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 00:17
Location: I want to bathe with you in the sea.

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Sep 2018 08:52

Hound wrote:for the first goal, that was never a foul in a million years. Awful play from the #12, leaned into Swift, bent over and then stopped still looking at the ref.

Kind of thing I've come to expect of Aluko or Gunter on a particularly poor day

File it under "seen em given" the ref could easiĺy have stopped play there.

Oh by the way nobody is talking about Yiadoms penalty shout? I only saw it once but it didn't look like a dive to me? Anyone have any opinions? (Lol)

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1404
Joined: 18 Sep 2004 15:36
Location: Kent

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by KC Royal » 18 Sep 2018 09:06

NewCorkSeth wrote:
Hound wrote:for the first goal, that was never a foul in a million years. Awful play from the #12, leaned into Swift, bent over and then stopped still looking at the ref.

Kind of thing I've come to expect of Aluko or Gunter on a particularly poor day

File it under "seen em given" the ref could easiĺy have stopped play there.

Oh by the way nobody is talking about Yiadoms penalty shout? I only saw it once but it didn't look like a dive to me? Anyone have any opinions? (Lol)


Had forgotten about that! Noticed he was booked but couldn't think why. IIRC thought it was harsh at the time.

User avatar
Don't Panic
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: 10 Sep 2018 10:37

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Don't Panic » 18 Sep 2018 11:37

Agree, thought it was harsh at the time, but not seen a replay, has anyone seen one?

156 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bluerinse, muirinho, Orion, Tilehurstsouthbank, WimborneRoyal and 48 guests

It is currently 21 Nov 2018 17:28