News and Views

Reading Face West Brom In Round Five

10 February 2016
By Hob Nob Anyone?

Reaading will face Premier League side West Bromwich Albion in the fifth round of the FA Cup after they narrowly defeated League One Peterborough United on penalties in their fourth round replay this evening. The away side were 4-3 winners in the penalty shoot out. The two sides drew 2-2 in their first meeting to force the replay which finished 1-1 at full time and after extra time tonight.

Tickets are already on sale for the fifth round fixture, which will take place at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday 20 February (3pm kick-off). Season ticket holders have until Friday morning (12 February) to claim their reserved seat for the game before remaining seats are released on general sale. Once again the club have priced the fixutre at low prices to try and attract a crowd. Adults are priced at 10 pounds in advance and all other concession tickets are five pounds.

Discussion On This Story:

Sutekh

» 11 Feb 2016 11:23

Now that WBA have successfully negotiated their way through two replays (Bristol City, Peterborough United) to set up yet another meeting with the mighty RFC, Brian can finally start drawing up his plans for a possible giant killing.

While the game is winnable (presuming a proper team and attitude turns up rather than the dreadfully disjointed rubbish we get in the league) it won't be easy but at least it's game where the players shouldn't need to be "wound up" as if they can't get themselves together for a PL team they may as well all give up the game now (what's that voice at the back there "you thought they all ready had"?).

Yes WBA struggled a bit v Peterborough but they had a bit of an injury crisis plus players also missing as they were signed too late to be eligible. Expectation is that they will largely be at full strength when they turn up.

I always recall games with WBA as being a bit along the lines of "oh no not again" but at least we have reasonably good record against them in recent years and the games do tend to be fairly entertaining which is something that is sadly lacking in league games generally.

This will be the 7th FA Cup game against them and we've only lost 1 of the previous 6 (back in 1948) while knocking them out of the competition thrice (2006, 2010 and 2011) so there is something to live up to here.

The last time we played them in the FA Cup was in the third round in 2011 when Shane Long (who?) hit home after 40 minutes and Jonas Olsson came on as a second half substitute for them at half time and managed to collect two yellow cards within the first 15 minutes of the restart.

Since we moved to the Mad Stad we've played 11 games in total against them and won 5 and drawn another 4 (so we've obviously lost 2).

Unbelievably we've won 4 and drawn 2 of the 6 games played in Reading in that time. WBA's last win in Reading came along in Division 2 back in January 1995 (0-2).

Stick your memories and thoughts on West Brom below.

No Fixed Abode

» 11 Feb 2016 11:55

I remember going to WBA v Reading once where nice Reading fans got fellow Reading fans thrown out of the Hawthorns. :lol:

*Also happened at a Sunderland away game where some Reading fans thought there were a couple of Sunderland fans in the away end. Only he was a bloke who lives in Sunderland who likes Reading fc. :lol:

Kuhl_Runnings

» 11 Feb 2016 11:55

This -

Particularly the last goal.

Ian Royal

» 11 Feb 2016 13:30

I remember that tunc Paul Pescisolido getting Bernal sent off for nothing one Boxing Day at Elm Park.

The Cap

» 11 Feb 2016 14:10

Ian Royal wrote:

Remember that one as well Ian. For different reasons, I hasten to add. I was wearing my lad's beanie hat and, after the match, a coach load of Baggies started giving me the 'v' signs and shouting obscenities. I'm thinking what's that all about, given that I wasn't even being lairy towards our Midlands brethren. And then I suddenly reminded myself that my lad follows Villa, and said beanie was displaying that fact a treat :lol:

Sutekh

» 11 Feb 2016 14:39

Luckily he didn't follow Wolves.....

Nameless

» 11 Feb 2016 15:18

Didn't Jobi get sent off after a game at the Hawthorns once because he had a go at a steward who was stopping him getting over to our fans to celebrate ?

Kuhl_Runnings

» 11 Feb 2016 15:58

Yes, the Round 5 replay in 2010.

Baggie192

» 13 Feb 2016 20:31

That made me laugh :lol: You'll knock us out because we've had our Bi-monthly win today :wink:

Ian Royal

» 13 Feb 2016 20:45

would you have taken being one point behind Chelsea in mid Feb at the start of the season?

Feel free to concentrate on the league and finish above those arsehats.

Baggie192

» 14 Feb 2016 11:40

Feel free to concentrate on the league and finish above those arsehats.

I would of done, but, unfortunately they're 4pts ahead of us :lol:

The Royal Forester

» 14 Feb 2016 21:50

The BBC stats for Everton v West Brom.

Everton / WBA
Possession 76% / 24%
Shots 33 / 5 (33 is not a typo)
On target 6 / 1
Corners 14 / 1
Result 0 / 1
If the West Brom. goal has such a charmed life, how the hell are we going to score? I just hope that the big bus they must have parked in front of goal breaks down before it reaches the stadium.