Rival Watch

17149 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Dec 2021 08:51

Snowflake Royal Without checking my gut reaction is Preston have a better record at this level and are certainly more established.

Plymouth often struggle to get / stay here. And their manager is ideally placed to judge his chances of getting them up then doing anything with them once here.

Seems a fairly solid step up to me. Obviously their fans would never accept that.

Plymouth is a big city with no other serious teams beyond them in Cornwall, so you'd think the potential to be at least as big as Reading is there, but for whatever reason they've never been close to achieving that. I can see why Preston would appeal with their better track record

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Dec 2021 13:58

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Without checking my gut reaction is Preston have a better record at this level and are certainly more established.

Plymouth often struggle to get / stay here. And their manager is ideally placed to judge his chances of getting them up then doing anything with them once here.

Seems a fairly solid step up to me. Obviously their fans would never accept that.

Plymouth is a big city with no other serious teams beyond them in Cornwall, so you'd think the potential to be at least as big as Reading is there, but for whatever reason they've never been close to achieving that. I can see why Preston would appeal with their better track record

Plymouth played 27 seasons at tier 2 and just 5 seasons at tier 3 between their first FL promotion in 1930 and their relegation to tier 3 in 1968. Their best ever league position is 4th on two occasions (1932 and 1953).

In the 53 seasons since 1968 Plymouth have only managed a further 14 seasons at tier 2 (best finish of 7th in 1987) with nearly all of that time being spent at tier 3. It wasn’t until 1995/96 that they experienced a season at tier 4 (and they were promoted at the end of it).

Their average attendance during their last run at tier 2 (6 seasons 2004-2010) was 13,009 (average finish was approx 16th in that time).

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Dec 2021 23:56

Sutekh
WestYorksRoyal

Plymouth played 27 seasons at tier 2 and just 5 seasons at tier 3 between their first FL promotion in 1930 and their relegation to tier 3 in 1968. Their best ever league position is 4th on two occasions (1932 and 1953).

In the 53 seasons since 1968 Plymouth have only managed a further 14 seasons at tier 2 (best finish of 7th in 1987) with nearly all of that time being spent at tier 3. It wasn’t until 1995/96 that they experienced a season at tier 4 (and they were promoted at the end of it).

Their average attendance during their last run at tier 2 (6 seasons 2004-2010) was 13,009 (average finish was approx 16th in that time).

And they have terrific away support. Whoever can get it right down there could really build a decent club.

I’d love to see it. It would be very interesting.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 10 Dec 2021 14:53

Luton trolling boris :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Dec 2021 15:11

anything poking fun at that useless hunchbacked entitled tosser is good by me

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Dec 2021 15:31

WestYorksRoyal

Plymouth is in Devon.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Dec 2021 16:03

SCIAG
WestYorksRoyal

Plymouth is in Devon.

But beyond them, in Cornwall, there are no significant teams.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 10 Dec 2021 17:35

Nameless
SCIAG
WestYorksRoyal Plymouth is a big city with no other serious teams beyond them in Cornwall, so you'd think the potential to be at least as big as Reading is there, but for whatever reason they've never been close to achieving that. I can see why Preston would appeal with their better track record

Plymouth is in Devon.

But beyond them, in Cornwall, there are no significant teams.

He’s also a scouser so like all good scousers that have made a bit of cash he can buy a nice place in Crosby and live among the other footballers, send the kids to Merchant Taylors School and commute to Preston up the road.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 10 Dec 2021 17:37

Apologies to Stranded and FDTW, didn’t read the earlier page, but I agree with you, all about family location for a scouser.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 11 Dec 2021 12:19

Useless stat of the day.

Since the 2002-2003 season (so this season being the 20th since then) only 20 clubs have played every season within the top two divisions.

MAN U FULHAM
ARSENAL A.VILLA
NEWCASTLE WEST HAM
CHELSEA WEST BROM
LIVERPOOL WATFORD
EVERTON PALACE
MAN C BURNLEY
SPURS STOKE
MIDDLESBORO DERBY
BIRMINGHAM READING

If, hopefully, Derby crash out this season....just leaves 19.

I'll get my coat.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 11 Dec 2021 12:28

Barney Useless stat of the day.

Since the 2002-2003 season (so this season being the 20th since then) only 20 clubs have played every season within the top two divisions.

MAN U FULHAM
ARSENAL A.VILLA
NEWCASTLE WEST HAM
CHELSEA WEST BROM
LIVERPOOL WATFORD
EVERTON PALACE
MAN C BURNLEY
SPURS STOKE
MIDDLESBORO DERBY
BIRMINGHAM READING

I'll get my coat.

I’m very proud of the fact that little old third division Reading will not have played in the lower leagues for 20 years. Something a lot of bigger clubs can’t match, Forest, Sheffield clubs, Ipswich, Norwich, Sunderland, Leeds, Wolves, Coventry, Blackburn, Derby soon!?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Dec 2021 12:30

Barney Useless stat of the day.

MAN U FULHAM
ARSENAL A.VILLA
NEWCASTLE WEST HAM
CHELSEA WEST BROM
LIVERPOOL WATFORD
EVERTON PALACE
MAN C BURNLEY
SPURS STOKE
MIDDLESBORO DERBY
BIRMINGHAM READING

I'll get my coat.

And take out ManC plus the sides that have never dropped as low as division 3 (ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea and Everton) and that leaves 11 - if Derby do fall out this season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Dec 2021 18:22

Millwall game now also off due to Covid.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Dec 2021 15:40

Cardiff v Derby becomes the 4th Championship game to be called off due to Covid this weekend.

Sheff Weds game in L1 also gone.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Dec 2021 15:54

Stranded Cardiff v Derby becomes the 4th Championship game to be called off due to Covid this weekend.

the way the bloody thing is spreading, not sure there will be a lot of football over xmas...

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Dec 2021 15:57

Remember when this wasn't about cases or infections? How many footballers are in hospital seriously ill with Omicron currently? Get on with it ffs, there will always be another variant. You just have to accept that this is life now and work with it, you can't go into hiding every 6 months.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Dec 2021 16:55

NathStPaul Remember when this wasn't about cases or infections? How many footballers are in hospital seriously ill with Omicron currently? Get on with it ffs, there will always be another variant. You just have to accept that this is life now and work with it, you can't go into hiding every 6 months.

Not sure there is much choice atm with not knowing how serious the new strain might be. Come the new year we'll have a better idea

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Dec 2021 17:19

Stranded Cardiff v Derby becomes the 4th Championship game to be called off due to Covid this weekend.

Coventry vs Stoke the 5th

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Dec 2021 18:08

NathStPaul Remember when this wasn't about cases or infections? How many footballers are in hospital seriously ill with Omicron currently? Get on with it ffs, there will always be another variant. You just have to accept that this is life now and work with it, you can't go into hiding every 6 months.

Ask someone who has had Covid, got over it and now has LONG Covid.

Even very mild, even asymptomatic Covid can produce Long Covid

I had Covid Mar 4-18 2021.

I used to walk ten miles every other day, run 3/4/5 on the day in between.

I STILL cannot run and my daily steps are between a quarter and a third of what they were at the start of 2021.

Long Covid is a horrible, serious, long, long-term illness. `many sufferers are finding they have what looks like being permanent disability

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Dec 2021 18:21

Snowball

Ask someone who has had Covid, got over it and now has LONG Covid.

Even very mild, even asymptomatic Covid can produce Long Covid

I had Covid Mar 4-18 2021.

I used to walk ten miles every other day, run 3/4/5 on the day in between.

I STILL cannot run and my daily steps are between a quarter and a third of what they were at the start of 2021.

Long Covid is a horrible, serious, long, long-term illness. `many sufferers are finding they have what looks like being permanent disability

All of that is horrible and you have my genuine sympathies. The world doesn't stop turning though, some of us just want to get on with things best we can and I'd saying the same thing if I was personally affected by it.
If it was announced that COVID could be eradicated in a months time if we all stop what we are doing and isolate then sign me up for it. Fact is that isn't true and we are stuck with it in some form for the rest of our lives. We are in a far better position than we were with vaccines and improved knowledge of the virus. We have to start living as normal a life as possible for the sake of the younger generations more than anything.

17149 posts