Who would you sell to fund buying a new center back?

specialjon

Who would you sell to fund buying a new center back?

by specialjon » 19 Aug 2010 12:00

Clearly everyone knows that we need another center back (or for mills or Ivar to be injured/suspended all the time) so out of our real saleable assests McAnuff, Kebe and the sig who would you sell?

I would go with McAnuff and try and squeeze every penny out QPR as I could.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who would you sell to fund buying a new center back?

by NR_Royal » 19 Aug 2010 12:04

Federici. Without a doubt.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Aug 2010 12:05

You shouldn't sell a player that you need.

You should sell a player that you don't need i.e. Federici or one of the other goalkeepers.

If we sell McAnuff then we're gonna need another winger.

specialjon

by specialjon » 19 Aug 2010 12:14

specialjon so out of our real saleable assests McAnuff, Kebe and the sig who would you sell?

I put this in because at the end of the day these 3 are the players people will want to buy where as discussed else where federici probably isn't in demand along with alot of the rest of the squad.

under the tin

by under the tin » 19 Aug 2010 12:20

Federici and Long

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 19 Aug 2010 12:26

Federici and Long

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 19 Aug 2010 12:29

Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long Shane Long

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 19 Aug 2010 12:35

On the grounds that Alex Pearce is still commanding a first team place - I would sell my sister to buy a replacement.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 19 Aug 2010 12:38

specialjon Clearly everyone knows that we need another center back (or for mills or Ivar to be injured/suspended all the time) so out of our real saleable assests McAnuff, Kebe and the sig who would you sell?

I would go with McAnuff and try and squeeze every penny out QPR as I could.

Out of the three you list, it would have to be Kebe if the general view that he is seeing out his contract is accurate. If not, McAnuff because he is after all approaching 30. Gylfi's value is going to go through the stratosphere this season, so we either he will take us up or we'll cash in next summer.

Out of those you haven't mentioned, I agree that Long would seem to be the most obvious choice.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 19 Aug 2010 12:51

But you are discussing selling a key first team player to fund a squad acquistion!

I'd keep the players who fired us from 23rd to 8th and take my chances with Pearce filling in.
Ivar and Mills could yet play 40 games! Anyway Championship defences leak goals galore - our differential is the best wingers in the league. If we tighten up at their expense we're lacking ambition and aiming to just be a solid mid table outfit!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 Aug 2010 12:58

personally id get rid of mcanuff,as he just doesnt produce as much as kebe or sig.plus hes older.
and also fed.

then id get kish in, but only if hell play within our wage structure.
and fill whats left of our financial black hole, saving whats left as a "war chest" for january.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 19 Aug 2010 13:04

Selling any of the following in exchange for a centre-back of, say, Khizanishvilli's quality would improve our first 11:

Kebe, McAnuff, Long, Antonio, Federici.

While I don't want to see us lose anyone, it would be a price worth paying. Having HRK, Sigurdsson or Antonio on one of the wings this year would be a lesser evil than continuing undermanned at centre-back.

I'm still mildly hopeful we'll move for a loan signing without losing anyone - afterall the wage bill must have been cut considerably from last season, what with losing Cisse and Matejovsky (possibly we're paying Williams less than we were paying Bertrand as well, but I don't know the details of that loan arrangement).

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 Aug 2010 13:13

the key problem is whether we want to pay over and above our current top wage, for an "ageing" "back up" centre back

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 19 Aug 2010 13:18

brendywendy the key problem is whether we want to pay over and above our current top wage, for an "ageing" "back up" centre back

I cannot see that happening, in fact I can't see us paying over our current top wage for a non-ageing, first-team centre-back (unless it was an Upson-esque coup).

A loanee from the Premiership might be of the required calibre and within our means if their wages were part-paid by the owning club.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Aug 2010 13:20

Sigurdson.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 19 Aug 2010 13:22

Fed or Long for any decent CB - doesn't have to be Zurab. Or Scott Davies and Hamer to fund a back up CB from Div 1

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 19 Aug 2010 13:25

brendywendy the key problem is whether we want to pay over and above our current top wage, for an "ageing" "back up" centre back

I thought we were talking about an injection of experience, like that which kept us up last season. Take your point on wages though, and so long as we don't get in the mire again and don't expect to get promoted, then better to stick than twist.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 19 Aug 2010 13:57

The Goat was fed On the grounds that Alex Pearce is still commanding a first team place - I would sell my sister to buy a replacement.

lol

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Aug 2010 15:14

Cummings, Long and Hamer

Realistically though only Hamer would attract a bid!

Ryn

by Ryn » 19 Aug 2010 15:37

NR_Royal Federici. Without a doubt.

This