Harte Signs

843 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Harte Signs

by Snowball » 01 Nov 2010 23:03

cmonurz He's not a thousand, he's 33. More bad stats.

Where in my post does it say Harte is a thousand years old?

I was just thinking, "If a man, any man, was a thousand years old, and scored 5 goals in 14 games, that'd be not bad."

I do believe, though, that a certain HNA gentelman alleged that Ian Harte was 1,000 years old and would get us relegated.

He might have been employing hyperbole, but I can't actually KNOW that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Nov 2010 21:15

It just keeps getting better for Ian Harte. Top Scorer and in the CCC Team of the Week AGAIN

He's only played seven Saturdays, and has had the honour twice already.

Whoever said it, still think he'll get us relegated?

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 21,00.html

Award for goalscoring defender Posted on: Wed 03 Nov 2010

Royals defender Ian Harte has been named in the official npower Championship team of the week after his key performance in our stunning 4-3 win at home to Doncaster.

Harte scored a fabulous free kick to make it 3-3, while he also took the set piece that resulted in our opening goal scored by skipper Matt Mills.

The Irishman now has three goals in ten games for the Royals since joining from Carlisle on transfer deadline day. All three have as a result of his quality from set plays; the first a penalty on his debut against Crystal Palace, and the second another excellent free kick at home to Barnsley.

He is now on five goals in a total of 15 appearances this season, having scored two in five games for Carlisle in League One before his move to Madejski Stadium.

He scored a total of 18 for the Cumbrians last season while lining up at centre half, so he is in fantastic scoring form.

The 33-year-old has 64 caps for Ireland and has played at the very highest levels of the game; lining up in the Champions League, World Cup, Premier League and La Liga in a glittering career.

He continues to show a real hunger and desire, and boss Brian McDermott said of his weekend goal, "If there's a better free kick I'd like to see it! He had to get it up and down so quickly, it was incredible. I asked him how he did it and he said he'll show me in training! From 20 yards out he had to get it up and down, with a person on the line as well, so the top corner was the only place he could put it. It's unbelievable skill, unbelievable."

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 03 Nov 2010 21:30

His freekick was stunning, and i'm a big fan since before he'd kicked a ball for us, BUT he didn't deserve to get in to the CCC team of the week after his last performance. It was an overall solid performance with one big mistake. Not worthy of a team of the week accolade.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Nov 2010 22:29

JUST RE-WATCHING THE GAME (oops caps lock) and have to say I disagree.

He put in some great crosses, one for the first goal but an even better one before that, and any number of good challenges and good passes. The commentators mentioned him in glowing terms many, many times.

I just wonder, if a QPR player, or Cardiff player, or a Watford player gets such an accolade, do you think their fans poo-hooh the selectors?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Nov 2010 22:34

Depends if they think it's deserved, I guess.

It's not generally the case that team of the week/month/millenium winners are pilliored, just in Harte's case many thought it wasn't a particularly strong performance.

I think with Harte there will always be a 'Beckham effect' to some extent with regards to his performances. Great free-kicks, and as you've highlighted so top quality crosses, and it's the technical stuff that Harte will do well, but the rest of his game can look a bit pedestrian, so for some he just doesn't quite cut it.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Nov 2010 22:34

Victor Meldrew Getting back to the original point of this topic-Harte.
In all my years of watching Reading I can only think of Paul Bodin and Stuart Gray as being worse left-backs than Ian Harte.
His superb free-kick only clouds the issue IMHO.
A left-back is in the side first and foremost to defend and in the last two home games he has been dreadful.
I really do hope that Brian gets a clearer vision of the left-back position as today Harte's contribution comes out at NIL.
He was totally at fault for their 3rd goal and then scored our 3rd so net he has effectively done nothing.

Irvin Gernon beats them all by a mile

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 03 Nov 2010 22:35

Snowball JUST RE-WATCHING THE GAME (oops caps lock) and have to say I disagree.

He put in some great crosses, one for the first goal but an even better one before that, and any number of good challenges and good passes. The commentators mentioned him in glowing terms many, many times.

I just wonder, if a QPR player, or Cardiff player, or a Watford player gets such an accolade, do you think their fans poo-hooh the selectors?

In answer to your last question, Yes.

I have ready many times, on BBC Sport, fans of various teams disagreeing with Garth Crooks on the selection of one of their players, based on the fact he scored a goal.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Nov 2010 22:45

cmonurz Depends if they think it's deserved, I guess.

It's not generally the case that team of the week/month/millenium winners are pilliored, just in Harte's case many thought it wasn't a particularly strong performance.

I think with Harte there will always be a 'Beckham effect' to some extent with regards to his performances. Great free-kicks, and as you've highlighted so top quality crosses, and it's the technical stuff that Harte will do well, but the rest of his game can look a bit pedestrian, so for some he just doesn't quite cut it.

Yet he is still only responsible for one goal and partly responsible for another, has scored three,
has provided the corners for at least two goals, and the free-kick for another.

What exactly does a guy have to do to please Reading fans? Scored 3, assists for 3, loads
of quite superb passes, plenty of crosses that were absolutely great but wasted by forwards
or midfielders...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Nov 2010 22:49

Surely the point in being picked for team of the week is this specific performance.

I thought he had a good game bar one calamity which should, but thankfully didn't, sew up the match for Donny. But to be honest even thinking he had a good game I don't see how you can justify putting a defender in the team of the week when they single handedly gifted the opposition a goal.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Nov 2010 22:55

Ian Royal Surely the point in being picked for team of the week is this specific performance.

I thought he had a good game bar one calamity which should, but thankfully didn't, sew up the match for Donny. But to be honest even thinking he had a good game I don't see how you can justify putting a defender in the team of the week when they single handedly gifted the opposition a goal.

Why ON EARTH not? So a player scores six goals after scoring in hos own net and making his side 0-1 down?

Harte made A mistake. He also scored a quite brilliant goal. He also had a few superb free kicks, one of which led to a goal.

So that's conceded one but scored or made TWO, plus we WON, didn't we?

He made plenty of interceptions, plenty of very good passes. Ap[art from the mistake, which was a mistake, he played very well indeed.

Do you think the pundits who chose him IGNORED his very clear, on-camera error?

BTW, why I do not deny his error, there was plenty of room and time for Mills to get in a block, and Feds might have done better also.

That doesn't excuse Harte one bit, but two other players didn't cover themselves with glory.

How many times does another player screw up only to be "saved" by a fellow-player?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Nov 2010 23:03

I don't think the pundits who chose him saw any of the game necessarily. I think they look at the stats, saw he scored and got an assist and picked him.

Defender's job is defending, so you put him in based on that and anything else is a bonus. You seem to think I'm attacking Harte in someway. I think he had a good game, I like him, but the rest of the left backs in the Championships must have not been very good if he got team of the week based on it. Or the person picking it did it on reputation and headline stats.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Nov 2010 23:13

Ian Royal I don't think the pundits who chose him saw any of the game necessarily. I think they look at the stats, saw he scored and got an assist and picked him.

Defender's job is defending, so you put him in based on that and anything else is a bonus. You seem to think I'm attacking Harte in someway. I think he had a good game, I like him, but the rest of the left backs in the Championships must have not been very good if he got team of the week based on it. Or the person picking it did it on reputation and headline stats.

"I don't think...

I think...

But what do you KNOW, or have EVIDENCE for?

1. He did NOT "get an assist". His excellent free-kick was headed down by Hal Robson-Kanu, then back-heeled by Long before Mills made sure. So that's one stats gone.

So are you REALLY saying, some anonymous journos, merely saw he'd scored a goal, and SOLELY on that picked him? Or maybe his
passes attempted and successfully completed was high? Maybe he got some 8s from assessors? (I don't know)

Personally I thought Griffin was MotM by a street. Not saying he didn't make a mistake, but I don't remember any.

You say "a defender's job is defending".

Well on Actim stats, all the back five will do badly this weekend because they conceded three goals

So "based on defending" Harte will be way at the back of the field.
Swansea, Leicester, Coventry had clean sheets.
Leeds, Portmouth, QPR, Bristol, Burnley, Portsmouth, Barnsley, Hiull only conceded 1 goal. Didn't their defenders play better than ours?

You see, you spout without thinking. And that's why I post.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 03 Nov 2010 23:15

How do you have so much time to write so much in each post?

Starry Blue Hooped Wonder

by Starry Blue Hooped Wonder » 03 Nov 2010 23:16

Ian Royal Surely the point in being picked for team of the week is this specific performance.

Have to disagree with your statement that Harte single handedly gifted Donny their third goal Ian.

Yes, he was guilty of letting their player get goal side of him and being able to cut in towards the goal, but that guy also had to make himself enough space to get the shot off when Mills and another of our plays (Zurab or one of the midfield?) where trying to close him down. In my view they were equally as culpable as one of them should have been able to recover the situation.

Anyway - just my opinion, which is what it's all about. Generally I think Harte is a capable defender who is very rarely caught out inspite of his deficiency in pace.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Nov 2010 23:19

West_Reading How do you have so much time to write so much in each post?

I'm a writer. And Speed...

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 03 Nov 2010 23:24

My only point was about Harte making the team of the week based on just Saturday's performance. I think he's been excellent since he came and i'm definetely a big fan. I just don't feel that on Saturday he would have done enough to be the best left back in the CCC.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Nov 2010 23:37

Just noticed Harte was in Team of the SEASON for last Season.

Just noticed Harte was in Team of the Week for Week ONE, this season. 09 August (Playing for Carlisle).
Just noticed Harte was in Team of the Week for Week TWO, this season. 16 August (Playing for Carlisle).

Harte was also in team of the Week for week 06, this season (Playing for Reading) (along with Kebe).
Harte was also in team of the Week for week 08, this season (Playing for Reading)
Harte was also in Team of the Week for Week 12, this season (Playing for Reading).

Harte has only been eligible 10 teams this season (two weekends when there were not Championship games) and yet has been in Team of the Week FIVE times.

He must be heading for Team of the Season at the moment.

Now, are you going to find excuses for each of those inclusions? He has scored 5 goals this season. Maybe his inclusions correspond with his goals...

This is a guy whop last year scored 18 goals and made team of the Season,
who this year has made Team of the Week 5/10 times.

Isn't it about time those who said he was shite, put their hands up and admitted they were wrong?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Nov 2010 23:40

West_Reading My only point was about Harte making the team of the week based on just Saturday's performance. I think he's been excellent since he came and i'm definetely a big fan. I just don't feel that on Saturday he would have done enough to be the best left back in the CCC.

Which is why I try to rise above subjective, incomplete opinions
based on being at a game. I watched the game, watched the highlights
3=4 times, watched the full game on the OS...

Of course I don't know, WE don't know, how all the other LBs performed on Saturday,
but the fact that Harte keeps getting these accolades, seems hardly likely to be coincidence

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Nov 2010 23:42

Starry Blue Hooped Wonder
Have to disagree with your statement (Ian) that Harte single handedly gifted Donny their third goal Ian.

Yes, he was guilty of letting their player get goal side of him and being able to cut in towards the goal, but that guy also had to make himself enough space to get the shot off when Mills and another of our plays (Zurab or one of the midfield?) where trying to close him down. In my view they were equally as culpable as one of them should have been able to recover the situation.

Anyway - just my opinion, which is what it's all about. Generally I think Harte is a capable defender who is very rarely caught out inspite of his deficiency in pace.

Agreed. I like Mills, but he was badly at fault for the middle goal, at fault for the first goal
and didn't do enough for the third goal after Harte's slip-up. But, unlike Harte he's not 1,000 years old.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 03 Nov 2010 23:57

To be honest I thought he was more at fault for their first goal. Seemed to aimlessly ignore the player on the ball when he should have been closing them down or showing them down the wing. Although to be fair all our oher defenders were caught napping there too. The third goal was actually really well played by shiels so I'm not as disappointed by it.

843 posts