by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Apr 2020 11:58

Full match footage of the Simod Cup Semi Final v Coventry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4lu9J5rsks

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Old Reading Footage on VHS/film/Youtube

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Apr 2020 12:07

Only one Trevor Morley
Tony Le Mesmer Got lots of snippets lined up from the 1992/93 season. An 8th place finish but for me the season that Reading really turned the corner, leading to an upswing that lasted 20 years. Rather painstaking trawling through VHS, but no better time to do this I guess! Watch this space.

Have been loving these uploads. Would be forever grateful if you dug out the goals from reading 1 Bradford 1 in 92/93 season (October) as that was my first ever home game live. Gilkes and Jewell scored... thanks!

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRXzFcgNgXc

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 22 Apr 2020 13:23

Tony Le Mesmer
Only one Trevor Morley
Tony Le Mesmer Got lots of snippets lined up from the 1992/93 season. An 8th place finish but for me the season that Reading really turned the corner, leading to an upswing that lasted 20 years. Rather painstaking trawling through VHS, but no better time to do this I guess! Watch this space.

Have been loving these uploads. Would be forever grateful if you dug out the goals from reading 1 Bradford 1 in 92/93 season (October) as that was my first ever home game live. Gilkes and Jewell scored... thanks!

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRXzFcgNgXc

Many thanks. For 28 years I thought Paul Jewell got their goal and it turns out to be Sean McCarthy! Gilkes goal is how I remember it though!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Apr 2020 14:13

Tony Le Mesmer Full match footage of the Simod Cup Semi Final v Coventry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4lu9J5rsks

I temember getting to the ground with three of my mates and seeing really long queues to get into the ground. I thought we were stuffed. As it happened we had a delayed kick off due to “crowd congestion”. One of my favourite Reading games. EVER.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Apr 2020 15:56

....cost me a fukkin expensive engagement ring....such was the ‘arrangement’ with my lovely wife-to- be, that evening, :|

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Apr 2020 16:50

AthleticoSpizz ....cost me a fukkin expensive engagement ring....such was the ‘arrangement’ with my lovely wife-to- be, that evening, :|

Great result all round then Spizz.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Apr 2020 18:02

South Coast Royal
AthleticoSpizz ....cost me a fukkin expensive engagement ring....such was the ‘arrangement’ with my lovely wife-to- be, that evening, :|

Great result all round then Spizz.
yeah, the inaugural Wembley trip was immense! :wink:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Apr 2020 10:39

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Apr 2020 10:48

Jerry St Clair
Tony Le Mesmer Southbank in full voice throughout with many chants you don't here often these days!

Younger viewers will be perplexed by non-Liverpool fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone.

It was a standard song for all teams once but, somehow, Liverpool took ownership of it.

Maybe because Gerry Marsden is from Liverpool and is a Liverpool fan! That probably gives them rightful ownership!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Apr 2020 13:02

RoyalBlue
Jerry St Clair
Tony Le Mesmer Southbank in full voice throughout with many chants you don't here often these days!

Younger viewers will be perplexed by non-Liverpool fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone.

It was a standard song for all teams once but, somehow, Liverpool took ownership of it.

Maybe because Gerry Marsden is from Liverpool and is a Liverpool fan! That probably gives them rightful ownership!

There is a reason Liverpool fans claim ownership which is simply I believe they were the first to sing it.

Think it goes back to 1963. The story is that back in October 1963 You’ll Never Walk Alone (written in 1945 by Rodgers and Hammerstein for the broadway musical Carousel) was at no 1 in the charts (most famous version by Gerry and the Pacemakers) and at Anfield before kick off the club used to have a top 10 run down. For whatever reason the Kop started singing it and just never stopped singing it long after the song had left the charts.

The song is sung at other clubs eg Celtic (who picked up after a game at Anfield in 1966 and now sing it before European games), FC Twente Enschede, Borussia Dortmund, FC Cambuur and Feyenoord, Mainz, 1860 Munich and as far afield as Bali United in Indonesia.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 24 Apr 2020 01:58

Zip We used to sing “ C’mon you Royals” when we got a corner. Rarely hear it now.

A simple chant but it used to be epic when the ground was full especially midweek games.
What happened to “your so loud you sound like Aldershot?”

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Apr 2020 07:39

Jackson Corner
Zip We used to sing “ C’mon you Royals” when we got a corner. Rarely hear it now.

A simple chant but it used to be epic when the ground was full especially midweek games.
What happened to “your so loud you sound like Aldershot?”

No visitors know who Aldershot are nowadays

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Apr 2020 11:58

There is a thread about Robin Friday on a Cardiff City messageboard I post on. They have always known I support Reading. There is a dispute about whether Friday did crap in Lawrenson’s kit bag. Does anyone know if it was true?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Apr 2020 14:19

Zip There is a thread about Robin Friday on a Cardiff City messageboard I post on. They have always known I support Reading. There is a dispute about whether Friday did crap in Lawrenson’s kit bag. Does anyone know if it was true?

That's been a rumour for years, I think it was his last ever league game for Cardiff at the Goldstone, Friday was sent off during the game and the incident supposedly happened then, and he disappeared after the game, never to return to Cardiff.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 24 Apr 2020 16:28

Mid Sussex Royal
Zip There is a thread about Robin Friday on a Cardiff City messageboard I post on. They have always known I support Reading. There is a dispute about whether Friday did crap in Lawrenson’s kit bag. Does anyone know if it was true?

That's been a rumour for years, I think it was his last ever league game for Cardiff at the Goldstone, Friday was sent off during the game and the incident supposedly happened then, and he disappeared after the game, never to return to Cardiff.

Only he played another game for Cardiff a few months later .... and the crap bag thing never happened according to the legend of robin friday book.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Apr 2020 18:46

Pity

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 25 Apr 2020 17:44

Royals Gems 1991/92

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... R0MHiyoMsn

I have been building up an archive on the channel, putting together playlists for each season in the later Elm Park era. You can visit for a browse here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9QVvY ... 9S72ZIxwQ/

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Apr 2020 12:21

Thanks Tony, this is just brilliant. So good to be able to have one place where Royals highlights are available.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Apr 2020 20:28

Yep, great stuff

Muchly appreciated

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 May 2020 18:05

Was there ever any footage of Gilkes' last minute "equaliser" at Bournemouth of the last day of the 93/94 season?

The game was shown on Meridian, but they didn't include it in their highlights. Being stood in the end behind the goal, with its terrible view, I think it was months before I found out why the goal wasn't allowed.

610 posts