Back from the game - Burnley Away

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Back from the game - Burnley Away

by Alan Partridge » 23 Oct 2010 23:29

Royal Rother I notice from many reports on here that when Reading win it seems to be due to the complete ineptitude of the opposition and whenever Reading lose it because of their own ineptitiude.

Must be a really crap league this year for us to be on the fringe of the play-offs again.

Reading will win some, lose some, be shit and be good this season.

I thought they'd do similar to last season in terms of final placing, between 8th-12th and I still think that's where they'll end up this year.

anyone that's gone today has surely got value for money, 4-0 away from home at a side unbeaten at home this season? Stuff dreams are made of surely?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 23 Oct 2010 23:30

Shame we couldn't do that in the playoff semi's :cry:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Oct 2010 00:37

My ratings

Feds 45.7
Griffin 3
Mills 69009
Kish qf564555
Harte onion.turnip
Tabb 8.97sqired
HRK 45frefret345
McAnuff )%**%*%*%)*(
Howard :!: :?: :oops: :cry: :arrow:
Long hallo wie geht's dir?
Karacan zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Based on the standard Outer Mongolian Pearson coefficient paired Wilcoxon sine wave coefficient rating system of 1934.

HTH

Aeroguide

by Aeroguide » 24 Oct 2010 00:50

2 world wars, 1 world cup My ratings

Feds 45.7
Griffin 3
Mills 69009
Kish qf564555
Harte onion.turnip
Tabb 8.97sqired
HRK 45frefret345
McAnuff )%**%*%*%)*(
Karacan zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Based on the standard Outer Mongolian Pearson coefficient paired Wilcoxon sine wave coefficient rating system of 1934.

HTH

Don't think I would have gone as far as giving Mills 69009.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 24 Oct 2010 01:01

Hilarious ratings, great post!

Perspective is that we just lost two on the spin and beat a team unbeaten at home with 5 wins 1 draw 4-0! Even if they had me in goal that would be an achievement.

Long won us the game, tabbs been missed, clean sheet ,church found the net. I'm not bothered about a miscontrol here or poor first touch there. If Messi gets a goal and assist you don't slag him for one miss.

Obviously we're a long way from perfect, have a few issues up front but we are only 10 behind QPR and frankly 2 maybe 3 of our 4 defeats were undeserved. We're 8th and we will get better. Optimism I feel!

Ryn

by Ryn » 24 Oct 2010 01:26

Aeroguide
2 world wars, 1 world cup My ratings

Feds 45.7
Griffin 3
Mills 69009
Kish qf564555
Harte onion.turnip
Tabb 8.97sqired
HRK 45frefret345
McAnuff )%**%*%*%)*(
Karacan zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

HTH

Don't think I would have gone as far as giving Mills 69009.

69008?

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 24 Oct 2010 05:22

So it's not possible to enjoy the result while pointing out faults in the performance? Obviously I enjoyed the game, I normally seem to pick horrible performances for my irregular attendances so that's the best scoreline I've seen for a while. Not having to watch the 'dross' regularly probably helps in seeing each game individually, however.

If people weren't at the game, I'm sure they can still be happy with a win without reading the celebratory words of those who did attend. Four goals without reply at Turf Moor is of course a great score, even before considering the context of our preceding results.

Forgive me, I normally hesitate to venture out of General Football, but is there any point to having these threads if the point is merely to post who we think ought to be sacked/sold next?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 24 Oct 2010 05:41

Great win but don't let it gloss over the obvious shortcomings in the squad.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 24 Oct 2010 08:42

As I said yesterday on the other Back from the Game thread, which was started by some idiot after this one was created........................

Tabb was awesome today! He drove our midfield on and supported Long really well. Long still can't shoot, but his link up play was superb. Howard is still too lightweight in midfield and has a habit of grabbing hold of players to pull them back and then falling over. He is a walking yellow card. Readings fans were good today, despite the small number and the random seating plan all around the stand! Also how did Brian Laws not get sent to the stands? At one point he was running up the touchline chasing the Lino. I haven't heard his post match interview but I'll guess it'll be blah blah ref, blah blah Lino, shocking and all that ox**rd. Feds only had 2 saves to make and for all their good midfield play, I don't think Burnley truly threatened our flimsy defence!!

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 24 Oct 2010 10:47

Excellent result. Had a good day out.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Oct 2010 11:05

RG30 Long was outstanding up-front, .... he probably deserved one from open play such was the effort.

***criiiiingeeee***

Long-apologists scraping bottom of the barrel now! Got to be embarrassing for the lad :oops:

Although I understnd next season the FA will be bringing in the rule that it's not just goals that count, it's strikers' effort too. They'll have a panel of RTGs at every game who'll score players on effort and if they hit certain threshold (yet to be decided) that team will be awarded a goal. :P

Seriously though your post is a good one. I just cut out the good bits and thought I'd be facetious. Long is yet to score from open play and no matter how it's dressed up it's extremely embarrassing. I don't dislike him - he works his socks off and has won us now three penalties IIRC, scoring two himself. But nothing changes the fact that when it comes to open play he can't score in a brothel.

Are you watching Madejski?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 24 Oct 2010 11:18

Playing the system we did yesterday when's the last time Long actually had a chance to shoot from open play? The last time I saw was at the Madjeski, he was clear through on goal, he was scythed down and we got a penalty. Same can be said yesterday.

I don't think it's a lack of ability, it's a lack of opportunity, due to how he carries out his other duties.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 24 Oct 2010 11:32

2 world wars, 1 world cup
RG30 Long was outstanding up-front, .... he probably deserved one from open play such was the effort.

***criiiiingeeee***

Long-apologists scraping bottom of the barrel now! Got to be embarrassing for the lad :oops:

Although I understnd next season the FA will be bringing in the rule that it's not just goals that count, it's strikers' effort too. They'll have a panel of RTGs at every game who'll score players on effort and if they hit certain threshold (yet to be decided) that team will be awarded a goal. :P

Seriously though your post is a good one. I just cut out the good bits and thought I'd be facetious. Long is yet to score from open play and no matter how it's dressed up it's extremely embarrassing. I don't dislike him - he works his socks off and has won us now three penalties IIRC, scoring two himself. But nothing changes the fact that when it comes to open play he can't score in a brothel.

We just won 4-0 btw.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Oct 2010 11:37

prostak So it's not possible to enjoy the result while pointing out faults in the performance? Obviously I enjoyed the game, I normally seem to pick horrible performances for my irregular attendances so that's the best scoreline I've seen for a while. Not having to watch the 'dross' regularly probably helps in seeing each game individually, however. // If people weren't at the game, I'm sure they can still be happy with a win without reading the celebratory words of those who did attend. Four goals without reply at Turf Moor is of course a great score, even before considering the context of our preceding results. // Forgive me, I normally hesitate to venture out of General Football, but is there any point to having these threads if the point is merely to post who we think ought to be sacked/sold next?

I remember seeing Blackpool beat Carlisle (the season Carlisle made it to the top division)
and Carl;isle were the better side and lost 4-0.

BUT, not only did Reading win 4-0 away, they had 10 shots on target, the BURNLEY site
says their keeper kept the score down...

I can accept "realism" but can't accept this

"I don't think I've seen such a clueless performance by a team who won so heavily. "

IMO that is dumb. We appeared to control the game for almost all the 90 minutes

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 24 Oct 2010 11:41

2 world wars, 1 world cup

***criiiiingeeee***

You are quite right, Long was magnificent everywhere apart from in front of goal. We would not have won if he had not battered Bikey all the way through the game and given Cort the run around, which resulted in his sending off.

However he had two decent chances and wasted them both, it is a worry because in some games those two chances he had may be the only two we get. Long NEEDS to start scoring goals from open play. Hunt can do the same job as him but seems to score more often from open play (although he is not exactly prolific!!!!!!!!) Despite the 4-0 scoreline, it was plainly evident yesterday we need another striker who does nothing but scores goals........Owen ain't getting many games for Utd (when fit!)........I also hear Fowler wants to come back to England.......also Boro have this lad called Lita who can't get in the team!! :roll:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 24 Oct 2010 11:53

Far from a fluent display but in the end 4-0 flattered Burnley. It got to the point where it was embarrassing watching them try to play with 10 men at home, asolutely acres of space for McAnuff, Long, Antonio, Tabb etc to exploit. Burnley were utter tripe, I can only remember two or three cohesive attacks all game. Federici had very little to dom particularly first half, one save to make where he actually dived too early as the shot was slightly mishit. Second half we had a couple of scares, at 3-0 a free shot from 10 yards straight at Federici after good work down the right and at 2-0 a loose ball smacked back which whistled just wide. Other than that, a remarkably comfortable afternoon.

Mills and Khizanishvili were pretty solid and dealt with Iwelumo all day. Harte got roasted by Eagles** once after about three minutes and then was as comfortable and reliable as I've seen him thus far, Griffin was decent if unspectacular. In midfield, what a welcome return to action for Tabb. With him in midfield we were so much better than in recent weeks. No disrespect for Armstrong there, but he is a left back after all really. Karacan and Tabb harrying and closing down worked a treat, Howard just behind Long worked better than previously, Long up front was very good and actually got into goalscoring positions for once, and won the penalty. He would have gotten a shot away if it wasn't for the challenge, and was borderline red card territory if you ask me. McAnuff looked much more potent on the rightm HRK on the left was ok if a little lacking in quality at times.

** What is it with all the raving over this bloke? I have seen this guy play against Reading for Watford once, Sheffield Wednesday once as a substitute, and Burnley on at least five occasions and he has looked distinctly mediocre every time.

windjammer
Location: Now living down in Cornwall, but missing the Royals

by windjammer » 24 Oct 2010 11:55

My ratings:
Burnley 212-7 43.2 overs Reading 157-2 30 overs Reading win Duckworth Lewis

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 24 Oct 2010 12:02

handbags_harris Far from a fluent display but in the end 4-0 flattered Burnley. It got to the point where it was embarrassing watching them try to play with 10 men at home, asolutely acres of space for McAnuff, Long, Antonio, Tabb etc to exploit. Burnley were utter tripe, I can only remember two or three cohesive attacks all game. Federici had very little to dom particularly first half, one save to make where he actually dived too early as the shot was slightly mishit. Second half we had a couple of scares, at 3-0 a free shot from 10 yards straight at Federici after good work down the right and at 2-0 a loose ball smacked back which whistled just wide. Other than that, a remarkably comfortable afternoon.

Mills and Khizanishvili were pretty solid and dealt with Iwelumo all day. Harte got roasted by Eagles** once after about three minutes and then was as comfortable and reliable as I've seen him thus far, Griffin was decent if unspectacular. In midfield, what a welcome return to action for Tabb. With him in midfield we were so much better than in recent weeks. No disrespect for Armstrong there, but he is a left back after all really. Karacan and Tabb harrying and closing down worked a treat, Howard just behind Long worked better than previously, Long up front was very good and actually got into goalscoring positions for once, and won the penalty. He would have gotten a shot away if it wasn't for the challenge, and was borderline red card territory if you ask me. McAnuff looked much more potent on the rightm HRK on the left was ok if a little lacking in quality at times.

** What is it with all the raving over this bloke? I have seen this guy play against Reading for Watford once, Sheffield Wednesday once as a substitute, and Burnley on at least five occasions and he has looked distinctly mediocre every time.

Howard was sitting deeper than Tabb, who was playing just off Long for most of the game. Howard was holding things in midfield with Karacan. When one went, the other stayed....(see Frank and Stevie, it IS possible)....Tabb was always pushing forward and quite often was the only support for Long.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 24 Oct 2010 12:10

SHORT AND CURLY
prostak
Kicker-style ratings, 1-6 -
Fed 4 (couple of fumbles, tipped an easy ball away when a clean save would've been fairly easy)
Griffin 3
Mills 2
Khizanishvili 2,5
Harte 3
Karacan 3
Howard 3.5
McAnuff 2,5
Tabb 2
HRK 3
Long 2
(Church 3,5; Antonio 4)

Kicker ratings WTF are they?

Week in, week out, there is always someone on this site that wants to say 'look at me, i've been to the game', or 'look at my knowledge of the game, i am very tactically aware', or 'look at me, i am so on the wavelength of the present manager, if i wasn't so busy with my job as a street cleaner i could spare some time to help and advise him on team tactics,etc.'. These sort of people are also seen on the touchlines Sunday mornings at under 10's football games imitating Barry Fry, Neil Warnock, and worst of all, Alan Pardew, with the latest 'inn' slang such as 'Kicker Ratings' to impress unsuspecting normal folk.
Beleive me, there will be another 'HNA Super Pundit' again next week, the week after, and so on.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 24 Oct 2010 12:40

Tabb in the pocket sounds like an interesting move.

I thought Church took his goal well, bizarre considering he cant score from 2 yards