Have you ever missed some or all of a game...

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Have you ever missed some or all of a game...

by Maguire » 01 Nov 2010 10:00

...because you didn't know the day or time of the match?

I ask because I only just found out by accident that Cardiff is on Wed 10th and not Tues like it says in my diary.

I've never missed a whole game but recall a few seasons ago realising we had an early kick-off when I was sat at home less than an hour before the game :|

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Have you ever missed some or all of a game...

by Snowball » 01 Nov 2010 10:26

Maguire ...because you didn't know the day or time of the match?

I ask because I only just found out by accident that Cardiff is on Wed 10th and not Tues like it says in my diary.

I've never missed a whole game but recall a few seasons ago realising we had an early kick-off when I was sat at home less than an hour before the game :|

I turned up at Brentford on time but a day early once. Couldn't go the next day.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 01 Nov 2010 10:33

I turned up at The Valley way too early as the time had been shifted for Sky. I blagged a tour of the ground, had a few pints and went up town. Turned back up all casual at the right time.

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 01 Nov 2010 10:46

I seem to recall something like this happening to me at Elm Park, but I might have dreamt it.

I did miss a game against Man City as was desperate for a pooh and couldn't bring myself to pooh in the Southbank. Why I didn't nip into a pub I don't know.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 01 Nov 2010 13:28

I had the Cardiff game down as being away instead of at home, good job I didn't book train tickets!

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 01 Nov 2010 13:32

Not missed, but if anyone rang up the ticket office last Friday, like me, they would have been offered tickets for SUNDAYs game, which was the rugger!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 01 Nov 2010 14:01

I once made arrangements to do something else one evening as I assumed a match v Norwich would be a Tuesday, not a Wednesday. Luckily we lost 0-2 to two early goals, so I didn't miss anything.

There have been a few times when I've nearly gone to a game, only to realise I've got the date wrong.

I did once turn up for a Legia Warsaw match when I was in Poland once, only to find the UEFA Cup tie they were playing was actually the away leg on that day.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 01 Nov 2010 14:05

Missed the cup game against Liverpool in September 07 because I got back from holiday the day of the game, and thought it had been played the night before.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 01 Nov 2010 14:13

I don't think I would have missed the game but I still had it in my diary for the Tuesday-thanks for the reminder Mags.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 01 Nov 2010 14:17

Not because he forgot or anything but, it seems we like to score when my brother goes to the bog. During our 106 season he went to the loo at 5 consecutive (home) games, and we scored during the period he was in the bog. This trend reared it's head again during Saturdays match, he missed Karacan's goal.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 01 Nov 2010 15:22

I missed Gilkesy's testimonial for no other reason than i completely forgot. Never went to Elm Park again.

I remember back in the early 90's, 2 Ten FM did an April Fools wind up saying our home game kicked off at 7am, then went down to the ground and 1 person fell for it!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Nov 2010 15:28

It's only because I saw the coming soon sign on our turnstile that I thought to check this myself. I've somehow not managed to even jot it down on my calendar for the 9th so it would have come as a pleasant surprise either way.

Incidnetally this was obviously moved from Tuesday as a result of the FAW derby on Sunday, in Spacey's absence who's going to suggest we should have refused to move the date?

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 01 Nov 2010 20:08

Dont forget the Norwich game in a few weeks is a 1720 kick off.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 01 Nov 2010 21:01

Best I can do is turning up on the day for an 'all-ticket' home game against Millwall, and trying to pretend RFC had fcuked up my credit card booking in a vain attempt to purchase a ticket at the ticket office. Just completely forgot the match was all-ticket.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 01 Nov 2010 21:15

In the late 80s, I forced my family to drive back early from Cornwall for a boxing or new years day fixture against swindon IIRC, and ran up to elm park at 2.30 pm thinking I was cutting it fine, only to find a blow dried Colin Gordon in club blazer leaving the stadium... Apparently it had been a 11.00 am kick off...I later discoverered we won 1-0... Beavon pen possibly...
Last edited by Linden Jones' Tash on 01 Nov 2010 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 01 Nov 2010 21:35

Someone on here definitely turned up at Palace the day before last season...

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 01 Nov 2010 22:36

I walked out of the Mad Stad after Mills' nth attempt at a 60 yard cross field hoof to Jimmy Kebe. during the QPR game last season.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 01 Nov 2010 22:43

Found out we had a game at about 7:45 on a tuesday night once. Got a lift from my brother and got their just as we were kicking off.

Lucky we kick off at 8 midweek really.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 01 Nov 2010 22:57

When i was about 7 or 8, the Biscuitmen were home to Torquay, but due to heavy snow the game had been cancelled on the morning of the fixture. I had seen this on TV, but being football mad, i refused to beleive it and made my way to the ground, hoping that Grandstand had got it wrong,...... only to find that for some reason, the game was not on and i was the only person at the ground.
Last edited by oldebiscuit on 02 Nov 2010 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 02 Nov 2010 09:37

I remember waking up on new years day a few years back. Was about 11am. Dad burst into room saying "aren't you supposed to be going to football today?" before it dawned on me it was an early kick off. Living in Bracknell with no bus or train I furiously rang around trying to blag a lift. Eventually got one, arrived 10 minutes late to the game. That game happened to be Reading v Leicester (i think) which then was abandoned at half time :evil: