DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

934 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

by Hoop Blah » 02 Nov 2011 10:45

Svlad Cjelli Perhaps it was partly decided by insurance.

if we did the medical and couldn't get insurance on him then we'd probably not go ahead, just like you wouldn't with a car - wheras Charlton then bought an insurance write-off cheaply (and this is where the metaphor breaks down a little....)

I'm sure the cost of the insurance would've contributed to the assesment of the risk yes. I don't for a minute think we couldn't get insurance to cover him, afterall, you'd have to assume that both Plymouth and Charlton managed it. The cost we and they were willing to meet for that insurance may well have been different though.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Nov 2011 10:53

Alan Partridge Hunt has spent a lot more time on the treatment table in the last year than BWP who has pretty much played every game in that period. Anyone could get a serious injury anytime they go and play football so I dunno it's a bit of :| point. It was probably a back up deal to someone else (Austin maybe) and they probably weren't 100% sure he could step up for the money they were paying. Sometimes you need to take a gamble like they've done with ALF. The quality of BWP's goals the pace he has he clearly would have brought something else to the table. I'd be seriously amazed if folk genuinely would prefer Church and Hunt over BWP? ALF, BWP, Manset and Church for example as a 4 that would look as good as anything in the division.

not going to disagree with hunts injurys- although the calculation of risk would have been different for him when offering new contract as he is previously somewhat proven at this level when fit(lol), has already settled here, and fits in with the squad.

as for austin- hows he doing currently-ive not seen him/heard

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Nov 2011 10:54

melonhead
Alan Partridge Hunt has spent a lot more time on the treatment table in the last year than BWP who has pretty much played every game in that period. Anyone could get a serious injury anytime they go and play football so I dunno it's a bit of :| point. It was probably a back up deal to someone else (Austin maybe) and they probably weren't 100% sure he could step up for the money they were paying. Sometimes you need to take a gamble like they've done with ALF. The quality of BWP's goals the pace he has he clearly would have brought something else to the table. I'd be seriously amazed if folk genuinely would prefer Church and Hunt over BWP? ALF, BWP, Manset and Church for example as a 4 that would look as good as anything in the division.

not going to disagree with hunts injurys- although the calculation of risk would have been different for him when offering new contract as he is previously somewhat proven at this level when fit(lol), has already settled here, and fits in with the squad.

as for austin- hows he doing currently-ive not seen him/heard

Scored a few this season 5 or 6 i think.

Edit - BBC says he's got 9, 8 in the league.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Nov 2011 10:55

id say thats more of a mistake than BWP then
though many said he wouldnt come here cos he was peeved at being let go etc

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Nov 2011 10:57

melonhead id say thats more of a mistake than BWP then

Also Burnley paid a lot of money for him, BWP was under a million IIRC. Would have liked either tbh as well as ALF. Those 2 as a front line with Manset and 1 of the others as a backup would have been easily good enough. Reading's dilemma at the moment is who partner's ALF because tbh none of them at the moment are really good enough. I'd pick Church just because he seems to create space and chances for ALF.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Nov 2011 11:45

agreed- or if our wingers were playing well have alfie up front on his own

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 02 Nov 2011 11:47

Well lets just hope, come next season, he isnt as prolific as he's been so far , there's no doubt he'll be up for the Reading games and will welcome the opportunity to ram it down our throats .....

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 02 Nov 2011 11:59

melonhead id say thats more of a mistake than BWP then

....he wouldnt come to Reading because I doubt it ever was on the cards ... Reading dont do big transfer fees and he was a big transfer fee...

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Nov 2011 12:46

which would have been the main reason why our assessment of tany possible deal didnt come off.

reading dont do big tranfer fees(except for proven quality, experienced players such as leigertwood) because we cant afford to

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Nov 2011 13:04

melonhead which would have been the main reason why our assessment of tany possible deal didnt come off.

reading dont do big tranfer fees(except for proven quality, experienced players such as leigertwood) because we cant afford to

In today's game, I hardly think you can call the fee for Legs 'big', although possibly massive for the world of RFC.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Nov 2011 13:10

Alan Partridge ...Reading's dilemma at the moment is who partner's ALF because tbh none of them at the moment are really good enough. I'd pick Church just because he seems to create space and chances for ALF.

Should've signed Henderson during the summer....

Le Fondre has looked better and better the more he's played too. All the talk of him just being a poacher and a lazy box player seems well wide of the mark on his displays so far. He's done a lot more than I expected, and a lot more than I saw coming from him on the basis of his first performance.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Nov 2011 13:15

RoyalBlue
melonhead which would have been the main reason why our assessment of tany possible deal didnt come off.

In today's game, I hardly think you can call the fee for Legs 'big', although possibly massive for the world of RFC.

its up there with the likes of lita for us in the chamionship, though no way near our records in the prem. though that seems sensible to me, considering the income gap between the two leagues

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Nov 2011 13:16

Hoop Blah
Alan Partridge ...Reading's dilemma at the moment is who partner's ALF because tbh none of them at the moment are really good enough. I'd pick Church just because he seems to create space and chances for ALF.

Should've signed Henderson during the summer....

Le Fondre has looked better and better the more he's played too. All the talk of him just being a poacher and a lazy box player seems well wide of the mark on his displays so far. He's done a lot more than I expected, and a lot more than I saw coming from him on the basis of his first performance.

agreed

him and gorkss look like super signings tbf
maybe if we are still bottom half in jan we'll get another one or two of them :wink:

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 02 Nov 2011 13:57

i notice that northampton town are willing to send baz savage out on loan , due to his inability to score goals. would fit seamlessly into our team!! :lol:

934 posts