DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

934 posts
UpNorth

Re: Bradley Wright Phillips

by UpNorth » 08 Jan 2011 15:55

Been withdrawn from the Argyle squad today.

Top Npower League 1 goascorer in good form. Had some bad injuries and a couple of high profile 'bad boy' incidents that might have put us off in the past.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 08 Jan 2011 15:58

Smacks of a done deal to me. Not sure how to feel about this. Initailly I though no, then I have looked at his current form which ain't too shabby.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2011 16:00

Personally think this is the best potential signing we could make this Jan (stiker wise) given that I think Austin is unrealistic given the asking price.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 08 Jan 2011 16:00

If this and Josh Wright come off, I reckon we've been priced out of both Austin and Leigertwood.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Jan 2011 16:01

LOL if this is true.

Not saying he is a bad player but we need a big 6 foot plus striker like Austin not another midget striker no different to what we have already.

But probably true as he will be a cheap option. LOL ambitious club.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 08 Jan 2011 16:03

Presumably we are prepared tp pay more than the £500k that Plymouth turned down from Blackpool recently. Plymouth have an outstanding tax bill of £1m so they need to find some cash soon.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 08 Jan 2011 16:05

UpNorth Presumably we are prepared tp pay more than the £500k that Plymouth turned down from Blackpool recently. Plymouth have an outstanding tax bill of £1m so they need to find some cash soon.

Their tax bill is 500k and Blackpool only offered £20-30k according to the BBC article.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 08 Jan 2011 16:13

The Sun today says Blackpool will bid £500k for him - presumably they haven't or he would not be in talks with us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2011 16:15

andrew1957 LOL if this is true.

Not saying he is a bad player but we need a big 6 foot plus striker like Austin not another midget striker no different to what we have already.

The cheap option would be to not sign anyone, we certainly wouldn't spend £500k if the manager didn't think he offers us a different option would we?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Jan 2011 16:31

Stranded

The cheap option would be to not sign anyone, we certainly wouldn't spend £500k if the manager didn't think he offers us a different option would we?

I think they know how p**ed off many of the fans are so probably feel they have to buy someone to appease the fans - but whereas Austin has a genuine chance of being a PL player longer term - I don't think there is any chance that W-P will be. This would be a complete waste of money IMO and I would prefer that we bought no one.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 08 Jan 2011 16:33

I'd be furious if we signed him. He is a decent golascorer, could even go on a run of scoring goals here, but he is NOT the type of person I want at the club.

I was SO PROUD of the way we played under coppell and the way he tried where possible to sign good honest players with half a brain, the way we rarely dived, the way Coppell never blamed the referee. BW-P is just not the kind of guy that I want wearing the Blue and White and sums up the changes since Sir Steve left :(

On 9 March 2008, Wright-Phillips, along with team-mate Nathan Dyer, was accused of stealing money, mobile phones and other items from bar staff at Bar Bluu in Southsea in the early hours of 28 February 2008. CCTV footage taken at the time appeared to show a theft taking place.[4]
On 25 March 2008, Dyer and Wright-Phillips were both arrested over the theft and were questioned at a Portsmouth police station.[5] They were formally charged with burglary on 17 June. They appeared before Portsmouth magistrates on 8 July 2008.[6] Dyer was convicted of burglary and sentenced to community service and made to pay compensation and costs. Wright-Phillips pleaded not guilty, and opted to be tried at Crown Court. He was due to appear before Portsmouth magistrates again on 2 September 2008.[7] However the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence.

A year later he and team-mate David McGoldrick were arrested on suspicion of assaulting a Southampton supporter while on a night out. The 21-year-old Saints fan told police that he was attacked by the two footballers in a Southampton street as he made his way home from a night out. The incident is alleged to have happened on Saturday, 7 February after players went drinking in the city.[8] On 13 March, the club announced: "After a thorough police investigation the Crown Prosecution Service has decided not to press any charges against either Bradley Wright-Phillips or David McGoldrick, and no further action will be taken against them."[9]

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: SPECULATION - Bradley Wright Phillips

by paultheroyal » 08 Jan 2011 16:35

I think we should go back to the original thread lol!!!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 08 Jan 2011 16:46

Tbf both cases were dropped against him, he might have grown up now, give him a chance.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2011 16:50

andrew1957
Stranded

I think they know how p**ed off many of the fans are so probably feel they have to buy someone to appease the fans - but whereas Austin has a genuine chance of being a PL player longer term - I don't think there is any chance that W-P will be. This would be a complete waste of money IMO and I would prefer that we bought no one.

Riiiiiight! So we're jsut going to spend money on a random who isn't good enough just to appease some unhappy fans - makes perfect sense that.

So at one moment you're pissed off we're not spending money or signing someone and then when it looks like the top scorer of League 1 could be on his way then there's obviously some nefarious reason behind it and he's not good enough anyway. He has scored goals at this level too, and in the Premier League - would be a snip at £500k.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Jan 2011 16:58

Stranded
Riiiiiight! So we're jsut going to spend money on a random who isn't good enough just to appease some unhappy fans - makes perfect sense that.

So at one moment you're pissed off we're not spending money or signing someone and then when it looks like the top scorer of League 1 could be on his way then there's obviously some nefarious reason behind it and he's not good enough anyway. He has scored goals at this level too, and in the Premier League - would be a snip at £500k.

Believe what you like. The rumours on the Plymouth fansite is 300k and yes if the club can get away with wasting 300k rather than investing 1.5m for Austin then i think they would. If we cannot have the type of player we obvious need I would rather the money was kept in the Chairman's pocket.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2011 17:05

andrew1957
Stranded

Believe what you like. The rumours on the Plymouth fansite is 300k and yes if the club can get away with wasting 300k rather than investing 1.5m for Austin then i think they would. If we cannot have the type of player we obvious need I would rather the money was kept in the Chairman's pocket.

I believe that the manager rates the player and are moving for him as a result. At the moment, you seem to be coming across as just not being happy as we're not moving for the player you want us too.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 08 Jan 2011 17:07

Norfolk Royal Tbf both cases were dropped against him, he might have grown up now, give him a chance.

The first case should not have been dropped, CCTV shows BW-P laughing as Dyer steals:

Thats our man in the doorway laughing, would you do that? Would you want one of your staff to do that in their spare time?...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... glary.html

I would honestly prefer to have Hunt, Church, or Antonio with Long than Wright Phillips up front for us. I can see that I may be overreacting and that perhaps I ought to give the bloke a second (third?) chance, but i just don't want to...

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 08 Jan 2011 17:16

Not sure you can be prosecuted for laughing.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 08 Jan 2011 17:18

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SPECULATION - Bradley Wright Phillips

by andrew1957 » 08 Jan 2011 17:22

brendywendy
Big Foot
brendywendy can we have his dad

Better than Shane Long

statin the bleedin obvious!

Brendy showing off his great knowledge of football again!

934 posts