Mooney set for exit

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Mooney set for exit

by winchester_royal » 07 Jan 2011 12:02

Sometimes Snowball I think you argue just for arguing's sake....

Mooney is simply not a very good footballer. Coppell saw it, McD sees it, and TBH presumably most other managers in the championship think the same, as the best club willing to take him is Colcester United.

1 goal every 2.5 games in League 1 is not a particularly good record, and given that he offers very little else apart from poaching, I would suggest he is not that big a loss.

Earlier in the season your main defence of Long was that McDermott was better qualified to make judgements than the rest of us, does that not still apply here?

Given we only have 3 fit strikers atm, if we thought he could have any impact at all in this league, we'd have kept him.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 07 Jan 2011 12:17

The way I see it, is Mooney was never really good enough to get in our first team. He's League 1 at best to be honest, and though he's not setting that division alight, he's still scoring a few here and there. For him this move is perfect, and it releases wages at this end too. However, I can only see that he's been let go because we've someone (a striker) on the verge (or if not on the verge then lined up) of signing for us.

Just a thought.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 07 Jan 2011 12:19

My take on it is that we've never really considered him part of the potential playing staff so his transfer out does not have any implications for any future transfers in.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 07 Jan 2011 12:20

It would be a big risk to go into the 2nd half of the season with only 3 strikers...

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 07 Jan 2011 12:23

but we effectively only had 3 strikers beforehand. He wasn't going to play.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 07 Jan 2011 12:25

I realise that, but still, we might have kept him just in case there's an injury....especially now it seems that 4-4-2 is our favoured system.

I'm reasonably confident we will bring in someone.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 07 Jan 2011 12:39

winchester_royal I realise that, but still, we might have kept him just in case there's an injury....especially now it seems that 4-4-2 is our favoured system.

I'm reasonably confident we will bring in someone.

I think he would have played or at least featured on the bench at some point in the last few years had they wanted to keep him.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 07 Jan 2011 12:40

In the last few years we've had more than 3 other strikers.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 07 Jan 2011 14:45

Interesting, according to the OS Mooney is having his loan extended rather than being released. I assume his contract is up in the summer?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Jan 2011 15:25

winchester_royal Sometimes Snowball I think you argue just for arguing's sake....

No. I seriously do not understand this particular signing or the fact he didn't get a chance competitively. The one time he did he did very well.

There was a rumour a while back that he was on very high wages. Maybe they were appearance/goal related (as might have been the so-called 260,000 Euro transfer.

That would make sense. Mooney doesn't sign elsewhere cos his money with us is quite high, so he drags out a loan for as long as possible, then eventually gets a wage-cut.

Mooney is simply not a very good footballer. Coppell saw it, AND SIGNED HIM AFTER HAVING HIM SCOUTED

McD sees it, THIS THE McD WHO SCOUTED HIM?

and TBH presumably most other managers in the championship think the same, OR CAN'T/WON'T AFFORD HIM

as the best club willing to take him is Colchester United. THEY ARE THRILLED, APPARENTLY, AND THE FANS RATE HIM HIGHLY

1 goal every 2.5 games in League 1 is not a particularly good record, 9 IN 20.33 is closer to 1 in 2 games

and given that he offers very little else apart from poaching, I would suggest he is not that big a loss.

ACCORDING TO FANS HE IS BRILLIANT IN HIS LINK-UP PLAY AND NOT AN OUT AND OUT GOAL-SCORER

Earlier in the season your main defence of Long was that McDermott was better qualified to make judgements than the rest of us, does that not still apply here?
Given we only have 3 fit strikers atm, if we thought he could have any impact at all in this league, we'd have kept him.

What makes you think it's McDermott's choice?

Did Mac want Siggy to go?
Did Mac want Rasiak to go?

Personally I think it's a money issue, or a mooney-money issue to be precise

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 07 Jan 2011 19:10

LOL. We were NOT under financial pressure to let David Mooney go to Colchester United on loan.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 07 Jan 2011 19:18

winchester_royal LOL. We were NOT under financial pressure to let David Mooney go to Colchester United on loan.

...we're ALWAYS under financial pressure - its the auspice Ebeneezer works under, so that he doesnt have to shell out a reasonable figure for a reasonable player....

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 07 Jan 2011 19:53

YAWN

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 07 Jan 2011 20:01

TalkSport has a piece about Brett Williams of Eastleigh and Reading being favourites to sign him.

He is 24 years old and appears to be building quite a reputation. Could this be another 'nugget' ready to be polished?

yappy

by yappy » 08 Jan 2011 12:07

Snowball and TBH presumably most other managers in the championship think the same, OR CAN'T/WON'T AFFORD HIM

as the best club willing to take him is Colchester United. THEY ARE THRILLED, APPARENTLY, AND THE FANS RATE HIM HIGHLY

So teams in the Championship can't afford Mooney, but Colchester can?

Look at Mooney's stats in the league, for the last couple of seasons.

This season 18 starts, 2 sub appearances and only 4 goals. Worse than one goal every four starts.
Last season 20 starts, 8 sub appearances and only 5 goals. One goal every four starts.

In regards to 'Colchester fans really rating him,' not really sure where you have derived that from, Charlton fans definitely had mixed opinions on him. Besides it wouldn't be the first time where we'd loan players to league one where they've shone, and made no impact on our first team.

How people can't see the only reason Mooney isn't in our team, is because he isn't good enough, is beyond me.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Jan 2011 12:38

yappy

No, Colchester have him on LOAN, maybe half or third wages (with his contract running down...)

Yeah, let's because you seem to have them wrong.

This season 18 starts, 2 sub appearances and only 4 goals. Worse than one goal every four starts.

He has 9 goals in 20 (2). Of course you can be selective and ignore his cup goals, but you wouldn't do that...

In regards to 'Colchester fans really rating him,' not really sure where you have derived that from, Charlton fans definitely had mixed opinions on him. Besides it wouldn't be the first time where we'd loan players to league one where they've shone, and made no impact on our first team.

Not sure where I read it right now, and off to the game so no time to look.

MANAGER: "There was plenty of interest from other clubs, but his family are very settled here so he was keen to stay. We are thrilled to bits to extend his loan."

THRILLED TO BITS is a bit more than the usual comment on a loanee. That suggests that to Colchester/The Manager keeping Mooney is a BIG DEAL

How people can't see the only reason Mooney isn't in our team, is because he isn't good enough, is beyond me.

And we have NEVER made a mistake of letting a player go who then came good, have we?

Cox, Austin, Tyson 33 appearances 1 goal for RFC, better than 1 in 2 at Wycombe, now 34 in 172 apps at Forest. Who else? Is HRK next?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Jan 2011 12:56

Didn't Mooney bang in a few goals whilst on loan to Norwich? :| They weren't League One.

yappy

by yappy » 08 Jan 2011 15:45

Snowball
yappy

No, Colchester have him on LOAN, maybe half or third wages (with his contract running down...)

Yeah, let's because you seem to have them wrong.

He has 9 goals in 20 (2). Of course you can be selective and ignore his cup goals, but you wouldn't do that...

Not sure where I read it right now, and off to the game so no time to look.

MANAGER: "There was plenty of interest from other clubs, but his family are very settled here so he was keen to stay. We are thrilled to bits to extend his loan."

THRILLED TO BITS is a bit more than the usual comment on a loanee. That suggests that to Colchester/The Manager keeping Mooney is a BIG DEAL

And we have NEVER made a mistake of letting a player go who then came good, have we?

Cox, Austin, Tyson 33 appearances 1 goal for RFC, better than 1 in 2 at Wycombe, now 34 in 172 apps at Forest. Who else? Is HRK next?

Oh so could not all the Championship admirers manage to get Mooney on loan?

The reason I ignored Mooney's goal in the cups is because look at who he scored against:

2 v Hereford (League Two)
2 v Bradford (League Two)
1 v Swindon Supermarine (Non-League)

Not exactly that impressive is it? 4 goals in 18 starts against League One opposition isn't very impressive either.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Jan 2011 16:32

4 league goals says it all.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 08 Jan 2011 16:49

Royal Lady Didn't Mooney bang in a few goals whilst on loan to Norwich? :| They weren't League One.

He scored a few yes, without ever really appearing convincing. Saw one of the games he played in and his goal was a bit of a steal. Agree with League One poacher assessment.