QPR - Back from watching on TV

282 posts
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: QPR - Back from watching on TV

by Mr Angry » 07 Feb 2011 09:54

Wimb
Kitson12 Well, then how come you're the ONLY one who doesn't think Harte should be dropped?

Crucially (as I'm loathed to defend the bloke) he's not the only person who thinks Harte should be dropped as our manager thinks otherwise.

Personally I'd give Armstrong a run but I've got a niggling suspicion he might be having injury problems again :(

I don't think Harte should be dropped; I also suspect that Stretch isn't near to be fully fit. Sadly, Williams isn't the answer so when you have 3 players, 1 unfit, 1 massively out of form and 1 who is slow but CAN offer other things, who do you go for??

Left back is a position to address in the Summer.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Feb 2011 09:57

Perhaps the club should get Bertrand in on loan again if we feel the playoffs are a serious possibility.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 07 Feb 2011 10:04

Wimb Perhaps the club should get Bertrand in on loan again if we feel the playoffs are a serious possibility.

Do you seriously believe after that performance that the play offs are possible?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Feb 2011 10:30

floyd__streete For a club which prides itself on bringing cheap, low risk young players through, the signing of Harte - and tbf, Griffin, although his performance level and dependency is of a much higher standard than Harte's - always seems rather short termist. With the likes of Pearce, Karacan (for all his shortcomings), McAnuff, Long, Church (yes, Church) we have the spine of a decent team for a few seasons to come at this level. Harte (and, again tbf, Griffin) doesn't really seem part of that long term plan to me and if he never played for us again from this moment on he'd be no loss whatsoever.

think these older signings are iun direct response to having so many yooves in the team.brought in to give leadership, experience and a bit of grit to an otherwise lightweight team.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Feb 2011 10:32

Jeffers217 How on earth is Mills still in that team after that performance? Hoofed everything, couldn't control his temper and completely took out that player to earn a yellow card. Why Zurab is not being considered is beyond me, at least he gets it on the ground and passes it out.

Putting Ian Harte on Routledge was a bit stupid as well!

Also, what does Simon Church contribute? Manset did more in 20 min than he has done in the last 5 matches!

think th ewhol eplan with arte is to have one of the other CBs cover when hes up against a flying winger. quite often see harte run to CB and CB come out to cover the wingman, this is obviously the plan to cope with his chronic lack of pace.most of the time it works

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Feb 2011 10:39

It does cause us problems having to cover for his weakness though. That's the essence of it being a team game though, and having players that combine to produce a strong team.

I think the cock up by Mills (?) was as a result of him having to cover for Harte as well by the way. A perfect example (if my memory of it is correct) where Harte isn't at fault for the goal but it's his presence in the back four that's created the issue.

As I said earlier though, I don't think Harte's positive contributions really justify the weaknesses he brings. He is still our best option at left back though (assuming that Armstrong is not really in contention for fitness reasons) so I can see why he's still in the team. That he's our best option there is the real problem though.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Feb 2011 10:45

Terminal Boardom
Wimb Perhaps the club should get Bertrand in on loan again if we feel the playoffs are a serious possibility.

Do you seriously believe after that performance that the play offs are possible?

Yes because I've seen enough in the performances in the other 30 or so games this season to suggest we've got just as much quality as any other side bar QPR. We probably won't make the playoffs this year because we haven't taken our chances but I can count on 1 hand the number of time's we've genuinely been outclassed and twice that was by the team almost certain to win the division.

Blackpool came to the Madejski last season and lost to a Brendan Rodgers Reading, now they've done the double over Liverpool, that's how quickly things can change. We've lost twice in 14 or so games and if you've avoiding defeat then you're always putting points on the board and at least keeping you in touch.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 07 Feb 2011 11:10

prostak
papereyes I saw the last 10 minutes of each half due to the 'joys' of Schalke vs Dortmund

Not as bad as "Doncaster away on an iPhone"

still.

Prostak 10
Prostak's Lass 10 - possibly more for the face she pulled over my "is that finnish?" comment. :|

Game - errr

end of 1st half ... we looked good, they were a man down, a couple of good chances (Mills, Church, someone went close off a volley).
end of 2nd half ... urgh. Proper urgh.

Manset looked lively. He's HUGE.

Aw, thanks. I think it was unfortunate that we managed to encounter south Manchester's entire Dortmunder population (3) on the night of the worst Revierderby in years. Got my HNA meet-up account off the mark though. I think H was more impressed that you almost identified her language rather than offended at the Finnish error, she pulls that face quite a lot...

It was deliberate. :|

oh, and the inevitability that you're an OR. :lol:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Feb 2011 12:10

Terminal Boardom

Or that we would actually contemplate making another signing involving having to pay ££££

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Feb 2011 12:38

because QPR managed to score with their only on target shot, in a game where we could have scored a number of goals.

LOL

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2011 12:40

Of course the play offs are possible after that performance.

That performance has in no way changed my opinion about whether we'll make them or not. Because I've thought we'll miss out for most of the season anyway.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Feb 2011 12:51

brendywendy

because QPR managed to score with their only on target shot, in a game where we could have scored a number of goals.

LOL

What about their chances that were off target? They missed a couple of very good chances, one you might call a sitter.

We did much the same, but only hit the target twice I think.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 07 Feb 2011 13:12

I'm not reading all 14 pages to see if this has been discussed, but did anyone else think the ref showed Eprhaim a yellow card when he went off?

Confused the hell out of us, but people in the West said they thought it was a straight red.

On reflection, I reckon he showed a red whilst holding the yellow card behind it just to make all our brains melt.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 07 Feb 2011 13:25

Maguire I'm not reading all 14 pages to see if this has been discussed, but did anyone else think the ref showed Eprhaim a yellow card when he went off?

Confused the hell out of us, but people in the West said they thought it was a straight red.

On reflection, I reckon he showed a red whilst holding the yellow card behind it just to make all our brains melt.

Watch the BBC highlights and you can see its a straight red, and a glimps of the yellow still in his pocket

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 07 Feb 2011 13:49

I'll just add this to the endless Harte debate:

The free kick he made a complete dogs-arse of in the 88th minute was completely unforgiveable.

That is all.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Feb 2011 14:06

I've just remembered what an embarrassing dive Mills put in when challenged by, I think, Routledge.

For a player who was so incensed by someone diving not so long ago it was shocking, but totally expected from him.

On a similar theme, I wonder if Long's previous for diving went against him when he went down in the box. I think that's a couple recently he's not been given when they were all going his way earlier in the season. Either it's just the rub of the green evening itself out or refs have got wind of how easily he goes down under the slightest touch.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 07 Feb 2011 15:15

Snowball (the other one being a very successful manager)

:lol:

Reserve team manager where Ian Harte should be at the moment.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Feb 2011 15:17

The Surgeon of Crowthorne I'll just add this to the endless Harte debate:

The free kick he made a complete dogs-arse of in the 88th minute was completely unforgiveable.

That is all.

as was continuing with the "2 players by the flag for every corner" routine for the whole game

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 07 Feb 2011 15:23

brendywendy
The Surgeon of Crowthorne I'll just add this to the endless Harte debate:

That is all.

as was continuing with the "2 players by the flag for every corner" routine for the whole game

Didn't work at Stevenage, didn't work against QPR, give it up.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2011 17:31

hate it. Short corners very very rarely work. Stick the ball in the box, where there are bodies attacking it. That's how you score at corners.

282 posts