floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

It was 5 years ago today.....

by floyd__streete » 25 Mar 2011 13:20

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

Re: It was 5 years ago today.....

by ayjaydee » 25 Mar 2011 13:57

I've just come over all emotional thinking about that day.

One thing that really springs to mind was the way that all concerned at Leicester City FC allowed us to celebrate in style. The tannoy man, the stewards and the Leicester fans next to me in the ground and those outside were a credit to their club.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Mar 2011 14:09

ayjaydee I've just come over all emotional thinking about that day.

One thing that really springs to mind was the way that all concerned at Leicester City FC allowed us to celebrate in style. The tannoy man, the stewards and the Leicester fans next to me in the ground and those outside were a credit to their club.

^^ this. I was sure that in the past we'd had trouble with Leicester fans but equally sure that had it been the other way around that day, there's no way a crowd of Reading fans at their home ground would have been quite so happy as Leicester seemed to be for us!

It was a day that will always stick in my memory. I was sat up the back with my kids, near Dirk, and Schards and his brother were sat further down - after the final whistle Schards ran up to our seats and the look of pure joy on his face was one I'd never seen before. :evil: :wink:

We can never replicate that day - even if we went up in the same way, because we've already done it - not that I'd complain if we had another crack at it of course!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 25 Mar 2011 14:42

Excellent day all round, not much to add, other than when we make it again it will seem just as good, success always feels good. Beating Swansea at Wembley would be amazing.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 25 Mar 2011 15:46

Yep. They allowed any Reading fans who were sat in the home end to walk over and stand next to the Reading fans in the away end when they could have easily just kicked them out.

The thing that I remember most about that day was the confusion whether or not we had gone up after the final whistle. Me and my mate knew we were up from someone texting us the scores from elsewhere, so when the final whistle went we were jumping around celebrating but confused why no one else was, I remember thinking even the clubs first ever promotion to the first division can't get our fans excited. About 2 minutes later the tannoy man announced the scores (which I didn't hear) and a near mosh pit occured.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 25 Mar 2011 15:57

Yep - nothing but praise for them that day.

It summed it all up for me when we were walking back to the car when it was all over - through a dodgy housing estate the other side of the river. We were seen by a gang of about 8 or 9 Leicester wannabees aged about 16 or so, and they stopped ahead of us so we thought "Here it comes....." But when we got there they formed to ranks on either side of the path and applauded as we walked past.

Still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 25 Mar 2011 16:39

Brilliant day and I can only echo everyone's compliments to the people of Leicester on that day.

Also does anyone have the link to the site set up (by Stretton Royal I think) that had links to all the footage and fan made videos?

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 25 Mar 2011 16:45

Unfortunately I wasn't at Leicester, but I was at the game a week later against Derby :mrgreen: clearly remember running onto the pitch and having some guy come up to me and kiss me on the cheek :oops:

I do remember the day we got promoted very well! I was at a friends' birthday meal and needless to say I couldn't eat a thing as I was way too nervous/excited! As I was away from any TV and my phone at the time was like owning a brick, I relied on family to send me updates and when I recieved the text, 'Reading have been promoted to the Premiership!!!!!!!' I cheered so loudly that the whole restuarant literally stopped and turned their attention to me, at which point I shouted, 'Reading have promoted YEAAAH!!!' :mrgreen: I may have embarassed my friends :P but I'd do it all over again if we ever get promoted again 8)

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 25 Mar 2011 16:45

ruddy hell 5 years ago :shock:

I celebrated the equaliser with the kick of a cardboard dead filing box in my office, much like Curetons equaliser in 2002.

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 25 Mar 2011 17:27

The good feelings from Leicester started before the kickoff. I remember the PA announcer congratulating us on what we had achieved and wished us the best of luck in the Premiership next season at which a fair proportion of the Leicester fans applauded. We were so gobsmacked by this all we could do was to applaud back. We then got a rather lucky draw if memory serves me right.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 25 Mar 2011 17:33

Was a brilliant day and I can only agree with everyone who have already stated just how good the Leicester fans were. Like many I remember being in the stand after the game frantically texting people back home to find out the other scores...the text my Dad sent which read: "It's just been confirmed on Soccer Saturday - Reading have been promoted to the Premiership" stayed on my mobile until the day the phone finally broke.

Wished I could have gone out in Reading after but I was at university in Leeds at the time so had to go back there. Still remember the train conductor coming over to congratulate us on the train back to Leeds and the taxi driver doing the same when he picked us up from Horsforth train station. Felt like a celebrity walking into the Student Union that night as everyone came up to talk about the day.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Mar 2011 17:49

Happy, happy days. Brought a tear to my eye and made a lot of shite football totally worthwhile.

Sunday will be the anniversary of the Simod Cup win as well.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 25 Mar 2011 18:17

Trust this to have been the ONLY away game I missed that season :evil:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 25 Mar 2011 18:19

GIVE US THE RESULTS YOU BASTARDS

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Mar 2011 19:05

Can't recall if I mentioned it in my bLOLog, but my major memory at the end was reading a text from my dear old mum saying 'we are going up' which caused an emotional wobble, so I immediately rang home so that my dad - the man responsible for this obsession with this club - could soak up the atmosphere. I was so choked when they answered that I couldn't speak, I just held the phone up above my head for a full five minutes.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 25 Mar 2011 19:06

Row Z Royal GIVE US THE RESULTS YOU BASTARDS
I thought it was "Give us the results youw@nkers"?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 25 Mar 2011 19:08

We really should have stopped watching football then - things were never going to get any better.

Or if not then we should have done so at the end of the following season, when we finished 8th - that really was the zenith. Only idiots would carry on hoping things would ever get any better or even vaguely compare to those two seasons.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 25 Mar 2011 19:32

The amazing thing was how early promotion was settled.
Looking at the tables now apart from The Premiership where there is everything still to play for all the other divisions have a situation where it might still be 3 weeks or more before leaders by a long way,QPR,Brighton,Chesterfield and Crawley are sure to be promoted.
That season looks more and more special as time goes on whereas when it happened we kinda took promotion for granted as early as February.
It does feel longer ago than 5 years.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 25 Mar 2011 20:44

BR2 That season looks more and more special as time goes on whereas when it happened we kinda took promotion for granted as early as February.

The good thing is Coppell and the players didn't.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 25 Mar 2011 20:54