Back from the game - Scunthorpe

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Back from the game - Scunthorpe

by WoodleyRoyal » 12 Apr 2011 23:03

On the M1 cursing home, very much a game of two halfs scunny looked impressive first half we looked tired and flat on a dodgy pitch, hoof ball is all we could manage. O'conner went off at half time for them and we started to dominate midfield kebe was awesome mom IMO not Andy Hughes as the P.A. told us. Defo penalty all day long unlike the scunny fans texting BBC humberside saying it wasn't, you couldn't get more stone wall . Shane worked and played well not so much in the first half mind you same with leigetwood really. Jem had a good game in the middle, mills up to his usuall gets booked then flies in with a tackle very lucky to not get a second yellow Mcarthy very little to do one dodgy kick but his kicking is getting better. Good turn out from the fans loud and piss taking as the norm. But I am practically deaf from some old prick with a oxf*rd air horn thing right in my ear. I really don't mind a bit of it but constantly blowing the oxf*rd thing for an hour and a half oxf*rd off

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: On way back from the game

by Avon Royal » 12 Apr 2011 23:06

WoodleyRoyal On the M1 cursing home

Yeah, Woodley is a shithole......... :wink:

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 12 Apr 2011 23:07

WoodleyRoyal But I am practically deaf from some old prick with a oxf*rd air horn thing right in my ear. I really don't mind a bit of it but constantly blowing the oxf*rd thing for an hour and a half oxf*rd off

Why didn;t you tell him to stop or move then :|

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Apr 2011 23:08

Saw the goals on SKY.

Superb run to the near post by Long for the first, completely caught the keeper and defence by surprise and a great finish. No WAY would Long have scored that this season before December.

Good run and a clear penalty for the second. Well taken pen from Harte as you would expect.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 12 Apr 2011 23:12

SLAMMED
WoodleyRoyal But I am practically deaf from some old prick with a oxf*rd air horn thing right in my ear. I really don't mind a bit of it but constantly blowing the oxf*rd thing for an hour and a half oxf*rd off

Why didn;t you tell him to stop or move then :|

Who am I to tell another fan to shut up! If he wants to be a bell end that's up to him

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 12 Apr 2011 23:13

WoodleyRoyal On the M1 cursing home, very much a game of two halfs scunny looked impressive first half we looked tired and flat on a dodgy pitch, hoof ball is all we could manage. O'conner went off at half time for them and we started to dominate midfield kebe was awesome mom IMO not Andy Hughes as the P.A. told us. Defo penalty all day long unlike the scunny fans texting BBC humberside saying it wasn't, you couldn't get more stone wall . Shane worked and played well not so much in the first half mind you same with leigetwood really. Jem had a good game in the middle, mills up to his usuall gets booked then flies in with a tackle very lucky to not get a second yellow Mcarthy very little to do one dodgy kick but his kicking is getting better. Good turn out from the fans loud and piss taking as the norm. But I am practically deaf from some old prick with a oxf*rd air horn thing right in my ear. I really don't mind a bit of it but constantly blowing the oxf*rd thing for an hour and a half oxf*rd off

I haven't aged that much have I?

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 12 Apr 2011 23:17

In the end a great night out and a deserved win.

Less said about the first half the better. The teams cancelled each other out and Scunny had one really good chance while we managed a couple of tame shots. All very predictable as we pumped the ball in the air to the Beast and Shane who was having a half to forget.

So something had to change in the second half and for the first ten minutes we were on the defensive continuing to look lethargic. We needed a spark and at long last Leigertwood finally woke up, started winning the midfield battle and set up the goal. Kebe got down the right and crossed to Long who finished superbly in front of an ecstatic Reading crowd. Legs is so important to this team and once we scored he was his usual self dominating the midfield. Cracking penalty from Harte - no chance of the keeper saving that. Last half hour we called all the shots and played some nice football.

I hope Karacan's injury is not serious as he will be a big loss. Apart from Long and Kebe I thought Kitz was excellent at the back -never really in any trouble and always seemed to have enough tine to find a decent pass.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 12 Apr 2011 23:27

Avon Royal
WoodleyRoyal On the M1 cursing home

Yeah, Woodley is a shithole......... :wink:

:lol:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 12 Apr 2011 23:35

Just got home...

We was not great in first half but dug in second half and the class showed, on the counter attack mainly. Shane Long is a legend, another goal and lovely tumble in the box, ian harte should definatly be peno taker, Karacan was awesome again

my ratings

alex- 7
griffin- 7
harte- 7
mills- 7
zurab- 7
Kebe- 8
Jobi- 7
Ledge- 7
Karacan- 8
Long- 8
Manset -6

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 12 Apr 2011 23:40

Just back from the match.

Dreadful first half, just a real scrappy affair on a dodgy pitch. Mind you the pitch shouldn't have made much difference as the ball spent most of the time 50 foot up in the air!

Start of the second half followed a similar pattern to the first half but all of a sudden we kicked into gear for 10 minutes and that was all that was needed. Well taken goal from Long running across the front post to neatly tuck away and a very well taken penalty from Harte.

Good turnout in fine voice, plenty of banter a good portion of which aimed at Joe Murphy in the Scunthorpe goal.

Not the prettiest of wins but we seem to have learnt every which way to get a result.

bigshaka'away'

Back from the game - Scunny

by bigshaka'away' » 13 Apr 2011 00:57

Just got back, no thanks to the closed M1. Very even first half, second we showed why we are (touch wood) going to make at least the playoffs, and why they are going down....

Legs was fantastic, Long dived for the penalty - not that im complaining, he may have tripped himself up, but im sure the 'keeper didnt touch him - and Kebe provided some good crosses. Mills lucky not to be sent off when he went through the back of a player, mind you his first booking was a joke.

'Keeper baiting was fantastic, unlike the Murphys, im sure he is actually bitter. We can see your bald patch was most amusing. Good atmos in the second, and good turn out, friendly home fans, compact ground, three points...great night out...

MOM - probably legs, although Mills, Karacan and Kebe also get mentions...also Mcarthy needs to learn how to kick, but im just being picky.

bigshaka'away'

Re: Back from the game - Scunny

by bigshaka'away' » 13 Apr 2011 00:58

Oh, also the ref and both linos were shocking. For both sides. All four corners hated them. Takes some doing to piss everybody off.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 Apr 2011 01:06

Yep - first half hoof ball mostly instigated by Mills which left the likes of Kebe chasing shadows or attempting to chase down a ball destined for a free kick. Scunthorpe were industrious enough in the first half to cause a few scares and opened us up nicely down the middle where we seemed to open it up for them, back off and invite the shots!!. Frustrating knowing this team were certainly good enough to hurt us. Clearly word is out concerning Manset as he was closed off, clattered and i could sense the frustration of the man clearing up and bossing the midfield. He felt someone had to take the game by the scruff of the neck as no-one else was.

Second half - started much the same until it started opening up for us, we started playing football, passes were being completed and it was almost palpable that the team were growing in confidence. Despite the support from us all, we started to will the team forward, and finally - a nice snatched goal from Long from 2 yards out. Instant pandemonium from the supporters with Shane being surrounded by the happy mod down the front.

The penalty was nailed on. Shane clattered and looking like he was in agony until taken off and somehow fully recovered. :lol: Harte took that well, and though Murphy went the correct was to his left the ball was exquisitely placed tight to the upright.

LOL at Murphy moaning at Shane afterwards and the taunting he received after.

The result was justified, another three points and happy days.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 Apr 2011 01:45

Just back now - Karacan and Zurab my MoTMs

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 Apr 2011 01:53

Spotted your arm on the O/S m8. Distinctive.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 Apr 2011 02:03

royalexile Spotted your arm on the O/S m8. Distinctive.

Domination

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game - Scunny

by Silver Fox » 13 Apr 2011 08:53

bigshaka'away' Long dived for the penalty - not that im complaining, he may have tripped himself up, but im sure the 'keeper didnt touch him.

Having seen it on SSN you're right the keeper was nowhere near him. But I'm fairly sure the defender taking his legs away might have influenced the ref

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 13 Apr 2011 08:55

royalexile The penalty was nailed on. Shane clattered and looking like he was in agony until taken off and somehow fully recovered. :lol:

I don't feel so worried now, seeing that. Was surprised he continued the rest of the game after hearing Dellor & Gooding on the radio.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Scunthorpe

by Schards#2 » 13 Apr 2011 09:26

Two completely different games before and after the goal, before it was very tight with Scunny having the edge, after, we looked a class above them and created chances at will whilst the barely threatened.

Huge cliche, but it's the sort of game you have to win.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Scunthorpe

by tomrfcurz » 13 Apr 2011 09:40

Quite odd this, isnt it. BBCRB didn't seem particularly impressed with Leigertwood but you guys haven't really put his performance under too much insult.

Anyway, nice to see a fair few fans there last night - around about 500 from us which is good for a long away game like that. Didn't go myself but a good run and finish from Long, clear pen from the SSN highlights angle and well put away by Ian Harte - he should be taking them all, i know it's easy to say after Saturday and now last night but the way he takes em, smashes them right in the net; even the keeper going the right way didn't stop it, and he was never going to.