BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

185 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

by SCIAG » 25 Apr 2011 19:20

I thought Federici was in excellent form when he got injured, and McCarthy has shown that he has excellent reflexes and deservedly kept his place when Feds got fit. However, Federici is a much more complete goalkeeper than McCarthy at the moment- he's better on crosses, his kicking (though not his throwing) is excellent, and he has better presence.

I don't think McCarthy could be faulted for any of today's goals, and he has made some excellent saves, but for me he's noticeably shakier than Feds in general, and that's why I'd like Federici in for the last few matches and playoffs.

It isn't knee-jerk at all, I've been slightly concerned (or rather excited with an asterisk) about McCarthy for a while. I just think Federici is the safer option, and I don't want us taking any risks. However, I will not panic by any means if McCarthy is stuck with by Federici.

(2WW1WC- probably not the best choice of thread titles)

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Apr 2011 19:20

Federici always leaves me expecting a mistake. He doesn't command his area nearly as well as the younger inexperienced McCarthy.

Dropping McCarthy after the form he has been in would be utterly ridiculous, and throwing in the wobbly Federici with two nervy semi's coming up just scares the shit out of me.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Apr 2011 19:21

FiNeRaIn
Ian Royal What a ridiculous over-reaction, just typical of our idiot fans, to ask for a player to be dropped after one poor result.

The fact it was a good save from the free-kick as well. Shocking defence to let the guy get there first ANDDDDDDD cut it back to someone with a free header. Not mccarthy's fault for the goal in the slightest.

Great save for my money. Poor wall and a complete rush of blood to the head and lack of discipline from McAnuff who should've known better than to concede a free kick there for a reckless challenge

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Apr 2011 19:25

Archie's Left Foot is right.

The save from the free-kick was EXCELLENT, full-length to
a difficult ball right in the corner. McCarthy diverted well wide and
almost out for a corner, but the defence stood still and allowed the wide player
ti get the chip back. IMO McCarthy was totally without blame.

The so-called give-away goal was NOT a goal, probably a foul
and the player who found the net was offside anyway

(Federici has done this twice and the goals WERE awarded)

McCarthy has made a string of fine saves, plenty of ordinary/solid ones.

He commands his area FAR better than Federici who mostly stays on his line.

I like Feds and he may one day be Australia's first keeper. McCarthy will be England's first keeper.

tink

by tink » 25 Apr 2011 19:29

Optimist I think Feds and McCarthy are both top keepers, but for now keep Alex in the team. One bad result after such a good run is no reason to drop anyone. Also as its such a crucial stage in the season I'd consider bringing in anyone who hasn't played in a couple of months (particularly where GKs are concerned) to be very risky. McCarthy will be fine.

But at such a crucial stage of the season, i'd rather have Feds back in, get him a couple of games to allow him to get back up to speed, so he's looking sharp again for the play-offs.

I will support whoever is in the team, and if we stick with McC, then i think it's credit to him for making the jersey his own. Not sure what will happen if we get promoted though - do we stick with McC in the prem? And what will Feds make of that? Will he want to sit on the bench next season as well?

If we change keepers and go for Feds, i will feel sorry for McC, but i will feel slightly more confident in Feds experience and ability between the sticks.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 25 Apr 2011 19:35

ALOL.AT.ANYONE.WHO.THINKS.MCC.SHOULD.BE.DROPPED

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Apr 2011 19:39

tink
Optimist Not sure what will happen if we get promoted though - do we stick with McC in the prem? And what will Feds make of that? Will he want to sit on the bench next season as well?

Possession is nine tenths of the law

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Apr 2011 19:42

Schards#2 If it ain't broke, don't fix it - and our goalkeeping position curently ain't broke.

The team's had it's best run of the season (by a mile) coinciding with McArthy being in the team. Why change?
because we are in a losing streak
1in1

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Apr 2011 19:44

Snowball I like Feds and he may one day be Australia's first keeper. McCarthy will be England's first keeper.

You don't half talk a lot of guff, do you? McCarthy is a very good goalkeeper, so is Federici, I don't think you'd find a Reading fan who thinks there is a big gulf between them, but Federici has far less competition for the Australia jersey than McCarthy has for England, so to say that Federici "may" be Australia's first choice goalie whilst McCarthy "will" be England's first choice is bizarre.

Federici's main long term competition for the spot is Liverpool's second choice goalkeeper. McCarthy's main competitor is Man City's first, has 118 PL appearances and 10 England caps already.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 25 Apr 2011 19:45

Sell Federici and bring in some money.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 25 Apr 2011 19:47

2 world wars, 1 world cup Hopefully my track record shows that I'm not a player knocker

Well it doesn't. Do you want me to dig up the dozens of posts you made slagging off Shane Long? Do you recall entitling a thread "Number 13 the only player more embarrassing than Long"? Indeed your constant attacks reduced Snowball to the rambling wreck he is now, you should be ashamed.

2 world wars, 1 world cup Mate some respect please. You're a good lad. No reason to insult those with views you don't agree with.

And that is priceless from someone who called everyone that disagreed with him "thick" a referred to them over and over as "the rectum crew". I don't think I've seen such a lack of respect for the point of view of others, from any other poster than I have from you.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 25 Apr 2011 19:49

Not knee-jerk. He was lucky against Leeds on a couple of occasions.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Apr 2011 19:51

2 world wars, 1 world cup Hopefully my track record shows that I'm not a player knocker and will generally rise to the defence of players and managers, and in a way this is no different because McCarthy is a great young keeper with a promising future, but we just HAVE to bring Feds back as keeper.

We have been on an incredible run and I can't fault BM for sticking with McCarthy, who to be fair has made a lot of top class saves, but it's time to revert to our tried and tested number one. I hate knocking players unduly but yet again today instead of catching a free kick or parrying it out he parries it right to the onrushing player, like he's done before, and once again he costs us a goal. Not to mention the monumental **** up of letting in another goal by kicking it into the back of their striker, which he was extremely lucky was not allowed anyway. And let's not even begin to talk about his mediocre distribution compared to Feds - one of the best distributors of the ball I've ever seen play in goal for Reading.

He is a good lad and will make a great keeper one day - in fact he's almost there already - but he's too young and inexperienced to be the main man between the sticks for us at such a crucial time.

Please BM think about bringing back Feds. If you don't then I'll accept there's a good reason as I'm beginning to repect you more every game, but surely we can't go risking it with McCarthy in the vital playoffs... can we?

(If anyone thinks this is a knee-jerk for losing, let me assure you I couldn't give a toss about the defeat today and if anything see it as a blessing in disguise: better to have a wakeup call now and focus on the playoffs than miss out on the last day and enter the playoffs with broken hearts.)

(And if anyone thinks I'm a Feds lover - I'm actually indifferent towards him. A top keeper who's made errors too but is a far safer option than the developing McCarthy.)

:roll: :roll: :roll:

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 25 Apr 2011 20:08

2 world wars, 1 world cup Hopefully my track record shows that I'm not a player knocker and will generally rise to the defence of players and managers, and in a way this is no different because McCarthy is a great young keeper with a promising future, but we just HAVE to bring Feds back as keeper.

We have been on an incredible run and I can't fault BM for sticking with McCarthy, who to be fair has made a lot of top class saves, but it's time to revert to our tried and tested number one. I hate knocking players unduly but yet again today instead of catching a free kick or parrying it out he parries it right to the onrushing player, like he's done before, and once again he costs us a goal. Not to mention the monumental **** up of letting in another goal by kicking it into the back of their striker, which he was extremely lucky was not allowed anyway. And let's not even begin to talk about his mediocre distribution compared to Feds - one of the best distributors of the ball I've ever seen play in goal for Reading.

He is a good lad and will make a great keeper one day - in fact he's almost there already - but he's too young and inexperienced to be the main man between the sticks for us at such a crucial time.

Please BM think about bringing back Feds. If you don't then I'll accept there's a good reason as I'm beginning to repect you more every game, but surely we can't go risking it with McCarthy in the vital playoffs... can we?

(If anyone thinks this is a knee-jerk for losing, let me assure you I couldn't give a toss about the defeat today and if anything see it as a blessing in disguise: better to have a wakeup call now and focus on the playoffs than miss out on the last day and enter the playoffs with broken hearts.)

(And if anyone thinks I'm a Feds lover - I'm actually indifferent towards him. A top keeper who's made errors too but is a far safer option than the developing McCarthy.)

oxf*rd off Newbie :D

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 25 Apr 2011 20:12

2 world wars, 1 world cup I hate knocking players unduly but yet again today instead of catching a free kick or parrying it out he parries it right to the onrushing player, like he's done before, and once again he costs us a goal. Not to mention the monumental **** up of letting in another goal by kicking it into the back of their striker, which he was extremely lucky was not allowed anyway.

McCarthy made a good save from the freekick, but the defense were like statues and didn't react. Can't blame McCarthy for that. And kicking the ball at an opponent, where have I seen that before.... McCarthys distribution is poor but but he is a better keeper.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 25 Apr 2011 20:13

i had to do a double take when i first read this thread, what a load of mindless drivel.

The thread title should read:

CASH.IN.ON.FEDERICI.NOW.AS.WE.HAVE.2.OTHER.KEEPERS.BETTER.THAN.HIM.IN.MCCARTHY.AND.ANDERSEN.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 25 Apr 2011 20:26

Brian McD has a tricky call to make on this one. it is not as black and white as various posters seem to think. On balance I would stick with McCarthy for the next game at least. He has done well overall and I am told he saved us at Leeds.
I don't know McCarthy personally but if he is to reach the very top, as some on here are suggesting he might, he needs to be a perfectionist, highly self - critical, and not satisfied with today's performance. No really bad clangers but a few could - do - betters.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Apr 2011 20:29

Agree with the earlier poster who said that McC is much more in command of his area and I like the fact that he comes and tries to make the ball his.
In some ways he reminds me of Grobelaar and if he ends up having a career achieving one-tenth of what Bruce achieved he will have done well.
I would stick with him.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Apr 2011 20:32

He was a busy boy against Leeds and yet was by far and away the man of the match for a string of outstanding saves that earned us a point! Previous to that he was getting rave reviews. Today he, according to some made a couple of poor judgements, but you have to look at the defending as well. McCarthy wasn't the reason we lost today!

He has done nothing to warrant being dropped.
Last edited by roadrunner on 25 Apr 2011 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Apr 2011 20:33

Archies Left Foot
2 world wars, 1 world cup

Not to mention the monumental **** up of letting in another goal by kicking it into the back of their striker, which he was extremely lucky was not allowed anyway.

Another crud! The player kicked it from his hands just as he let it go to kick it, then passed to another player who was in an offside position. Two offences occurring of which either could have led to the free kick

You what??!!! McCarthy attempted to throw the ball out to Griffin and the player stopped the ball with his foot after McCarthy had released it! McCarthy wasn't attempting to kick the ball and, even if he had been, the forward did not cut across him and/or track his run so no offence committed in any shape or form. The player was perfectly entitled to stop the throw after the ball left McCarthy's hand. Furthermore, there is no way that the player he passed to was offside at the time he passed to him. I think the linesman wrongly flagged for the player blocking McCarthy's throw and we were very lucky to get let off in that manner.

Unfortunately I also think McCarthy has to take a lot of responsibility for conceding their winning goal. His set up of the wall was appalling. You do not let an opponent stand right in the middle of your wall only to move as the kick is taken! Yes, McCarthy made the initial save but that would not have been necessary had he not, in effect, left a hole in the middle of his wall in the first place!

A few minutes later we had a freekick on the edge of their area. One of our players stood in the middle of their wall and one of theirs immediately stood right in front on him. Needless to say their wall held firm and Harte's freekick was deflected away from goal.

185 posts