BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

185 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2011 18:02

loyalroyal4life
Svlad Cjelli
West Stand Man Anyone who seriously believes that captaincy is unimportant clearly hasn't played football or any other sport at a decent level.

It's important - but not important enough to make you choose an inferior player who is a good captain ahead of a superior player.

What like Alex Pearce? :roll:

The same Alex Pearce who's been excellent this season compared to Mills who's been all over teh place in most his games? Hell freaking yeah.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 27 Apr 2011 18:11

Slightly going off on a tangent...but I was a massive hater of Alex Pearce, but he had pretty much won me around by the time he got injured. In all honesty, I think I was guilty of being overly harsh because he looks like a slow motion robot when he plays. He has zero tekkers.

Individually, my two favourite centre-backs at the club now are Zurab and Pearce, but that is a frightfully slow back line.

Mills is brilliant on his day, but so gash off his day it's impossible to like him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2011 18:13

The Goat was fed Slightly going off on a tangent...but I was a massive hater of Alex Pearce, but he had pretty much won me around by the time he got injured. In all honesty, I think I was guilty of being overly harsh because he looks like a slow motion robot when he plays. He has zero tekkers.

Individually, my two favourite centre-backs at the club now are Zurab and Pearce, but that is a frightfully slow back line.

Mills is brilliant on his day, but so gash off his day it's impossible to like him.

This apart from the hater bit. I don't think Pearce will ever play successfully at a higher level, but he's a much safer choice than Mills and his brain's wired right for football. Mills strikes as a player who's always been really good and never had to work very hard at it, so isn't really up to it mentally and is too cocky.

On McCarthy I see no reason to drop him. If he has a less than great game against Coventry, then bring Feds back in. Otherwise stick with him. He's looking like he could be our No. 1 for a very long time assuming we can hold onto him.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 27 Apr 2011 19:07

Ian Royal Mills strikes as a player who's always been really good and never had to work very hard at it, so isn't really up to it mentally and is too cocky.

Interesting idea, but surely there must be quite a few players who've always been really good and never had to work very hard and have still risen to the challenge (the Champions League must be full of them), so what's their secret? Can't we get Mills to overcome this supposed deficit in his character like they have?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Apr 2011 19:36

They're the players who, despite being better than their peers, are still willing to listen, learn and work hard to make the most of their ability.

Alternatively they're head and shoulders above the majority of players on the planet and not just better than those in a suburb of Swindon!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2011 22:09

Sarah Star
Ian Royal Mills strikes as a player who's always been really good and never had to work very hard at it, so isn't really up to it mentally and is too cocky.

Interesting idea, but surely there must be quite a few players who've always been really good and never had to work very hard and have still risen to the challenge (the Champions League must be full of them), so what's their secret? Can't we get Mills to overcome this supposed deficit in his character like they have?

Can you change someone's personality? Not very easily at all.

I'm torn between whether being captain has just failed to help or actually hindered him. A very good player on his day, but not someone I'd be sorry to see move on. Don't feel he's in the "Reading" mold.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but when you add up his tendency towards hollywood crossfield balls (hoofs), the finger to the fans, the seemingly angry attitude and mouthing off to refs, the cynical blocks on players who've gone past him like he isn't there, the weak positioning and the kick at Taarabt for showing him up and also diving.... It all says to me Mills is arrogant, complacent and (mentally) lazy.

If he wasn't I've little doubt he'd be playing in the Prem.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 27 Apr 2011 23:03

I haven't seen Mills yelling into anyone's faces lately, neither has he been close to giving even a metaphorical finger to the fans... it's a start.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2011 23:20

True we've been cardless for three games now. Maybe that's a sign we aren't getting stuck in enough in the middle. Who knows..

Paul Cowin

by Paul Cowin » 28 Apr 2011 01:44

I don't remember anyone calling for McCarthy's head after we conceded 3 against Forest , but won!

Personally I have nothing against Feds, we are blessed with 2 great keepers and it has to be a big headache for McD as to which one to play as the season reaches its climax.

But better than having to choose between 2 dodgy keepers, all in all its a pleasant headache I would imagine.

We don't know what McD is thinking, but I for one have blind faith that he will do whats right for Reading Football Club

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Apr 2011 08:50

Drop McCarthy, we dont want other clubs realising we might have a gem in the squad. :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2011 09:14

All this talk of 2 good keepers at the club is also overlooking Andersen who it seems has come on leaps and bounds over the last couple of seasons.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 Apr 2011 10:50

Having reflected on this I think I would bring back Fed for the Coventry game and the play offs.

He has let in slightly less frequently than McCarthy (see below) but the overriding issue is that Fed's distribution is miles ahead and that could be key in a tight match against Swansea.

Fed 31.67 games and 35 goals conceded at 1.105 per match against McCarthy 12.33 games and 15 conceded at 1.216 per match.

McCarthy has done brilliantly and I am sure he will go on to be a great keeper, but I do expect to see Fed in goal on Saturday.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Apr 2011 12:04

andrew1957 Having reflected on this I think I would bring back Fed for the Coventry game and the play offs.
He has let in slightly less frequently than McCarthy (see below) but the overriding issue is that Fed's distribution is miles ahead and that could be key in a tight match against Swansea.
Fed 31.67 games and 35 goals conceded at 1.105 per match against McCarthy 12.33 games and 15 conceded at 1.216 per match.
McCarthy has done brilliantly and I am sure he will go on to be a great keeper, but I do expect to see Fed in goal on Saturday.

I don't think it's fair to only look at goals-conceded, You need to look at results.

Or look at shots on target/goals/saves. The lad's figures are very good.

H 2-1 Millwall
A 3-3 Crystal Palace
A 1-0 Everton FA CUP (Very solid, one brilliant save)
H 5-2 Middlesbrough
A 3-1 Ipswich Town
A 0-1 Manchester City FA CUP
A 1-0 Barnsley
H 2-0 Portsmouth
H 2-1 Preston (Good save onto post, rebound off him. Unlucky)
A 4-3 Forest (Two of the goals were penalties)
A 2-0 Scunthorpe
H 3-1 Leicester
A 0-0 Leeds (Man of the Match with a string of saves)
H 2-3 Sheffield (Defence went AWOL)

30-16 P14 W10 D2 L2

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Apr 2011 12:08

He's let in 16 goals, but the opposition has had 89 shots on target

5 Clean sheets in 14 games, 5 games conceding 1.

Add up Everton, Man City, Ipswich, Scunthorpe, Leeds = 52 Shots on Target, 2 Goals conceded!

04 1 Millwall
03 3 Palace
09 0 Everton
03 2 Boro
10 1 Ipswich
11 1 Man C
06 0 Barnsley
04 0 Portsmouth
00 1 Preston
03 3 Forest
12 0 Scunthorpe
06 1 Leicester
10 0 Leeds
08 3 Shefield

89 16 5.5625

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Apr 2011 12:29

Shot Stopping. League & Cup

190 Shots on Target 35 Goals A goal every 5.43 shots Federici
089 Shots on Target 16 Goals A goal every 5.56 shots McCarthy

McCarthy just edges it.

WBA (Prem) had one shot on target, no goals

Everton & Man City (Prem) had TWENTY shots on target, one goal

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 Apr 2011 12:29

Hi Snowball

I don't disagree that McCarthy's stats are as good. I was really making the point that they are similar to Federici's.

The key points to me are Fed's greater experience and better distribution.

In any case it is Brian's call. I think he will either bring back Federici on Saturday as he has an excuse to do so after the defeat or else stick with McCarthy throughout.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2011 12:34

Two points,

1) Their stats are so similar it's not worth comparing them with a mind to picking one over the other.

2) You can't use those kind of stats to suggest one is better than the other as the stats don't tell you enough about the games and the difficulty of the saves their making or, perhaps more importantly, the ones they aren't.

Please don't turn this into another statfest!

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 28 Apr 2011 12:36

andrew1957 Hi Snowball

I don't disagree that McCarthy's stats are as good. I was really making the point that they are similar to Federici's.

In any case it is Brian's call. I think he will either bring back Federici on Saturday as he has an excuse to do so after the defeat or else stick with McCarthy throughout.

I'd counter the "greater experience" with the fact that someone who'd been playing continuouslyy is bound to be in better form and confidence than someone coming in cold after not playing for the best part of 3 months.

I'd also argue with the claim of "better distribution" - I just don't buy it at all.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Apr 2011 13:02

Hoop Blah Two points,

1) Their stats are so similar it's not worth comparing them with a mind to picking one over the other.

2) You can't use those kind of stats to suggest one is better than the other as the stats don't tell you enough about the games and the difficulty of the saves their making or, perhaps more importantly, the ones they aren't.

Please don't turn this into another statfest!

You would expect shots by Premiership players to be harder to stop than those of Championship players
and McCarthy has faced 20 of those, failing to stop just one.

I don't recall anyone saying McCarthy has let in a "bad" goal yet.

And as for distribution, I prefer McCarthy's throws to Fed's bombs.

Which have given us the best possession/goals?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Apr 2011 13:04

Svlad Cjelli
andrew1957 Hi Snowball

I'd counter the "greater experience" with the fact that someone who'd been playing continuouslyy is bound to be in better form and confidence than someone coming in cold after not playing for the best part of 3 months.

I'd also argue with the claim of "better distribution" - I just don't buy it at all.

Agreed. When we first started seeing Fed's low-flying kicks (which, generally, I like)
it was exciting, but they very rarely produce a goal these days and they have twice
COST us a goal.

185 posts