BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

185 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2011 13:47

Svlad Cjelli I'd counter the "greater experience" with the fact that someone who'd been playing continuouslyy is bound to be in better form and confidence than someone coming in cold after not playing for the best part of 3 months.

That's why, IF, McDermott is tempted to bring Federici back in (as he's supposedly been his first choice previously) he should do it now with a couple of games to sharpen up and not leave it any later.

If he doesn't do it for this weekend I'd say only an injury to McCarthy should provide Federici with a look-in.

Svlad Cjelli I'd also argue with the claim of "better distribution" - I just don't buy it at all.

Federici's kicking is certainly more of a weapon as he can release Long and Kebe on the counter in a way that McCarthy can't (his kicks don't penetrate in the same way and are much easier to defend).

McCarthy's recent confidence in rolling the ball out to Griffin and Harte is very noticable and in general better than Federici's but it's not really the way we've played whilst winning 8 on the bounce. The more considered roll out to the fullback only really came in with the recent poorer performances so not sure it's that much of a benefit in this team.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2011 13:53

Snowball You would expect shots by Premiership players to be harder to stop than those of Championship players
and McCarthy has faced 20 of those, failing to stop just one.

You might expect or assume it, but isn't that something you're basically against without some kind of statistics to back it up?

I'd be inclined to argue that against City and Everton we defended in greater numbers and so the number of shots they put in included a lot more from distance than your average Championship game where we're a bit more expansive and open to attack.

You could also argue that because the Premier League players are that bit better at shooting they'll hit the target more often from distance (which should be easier to save) whereas Championship players will miss the target more, result in less easy long distance shots to save.

Snowball I don't recall anyone saying McCarthy has let in a "bad" goal yet.

You don't recall? Have you read this thread?

Snowball And as for distribution, I prefer McCarthy's throws to Fed's bombs.

Which have given us the best possession/goals?

I'd prefer us to build from the back with McCarthy giving the ball to the back four a bit more. I'm not convinced that actually suits this team though. I'd agree McCarthy is much better at distributing like this (as long as he keeps an eye out for the likes of Henderson standing in the way that is!).

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 28 Apr 2011 14:12

Hoop Blah
Svlad Cjelli I'd counter the "greater experience" with the fact that someone who'd been playing continuouslyy is bound to be in better form and confidence than someone coming in cold after not playing for the best part of 3 months.

That's why, IF, McDermott is tempted to bring Federici back in (as he's supposedly been his first choice previously) he should do it now with a couple of games to sharpen up and not leave it any later.

If he doesn't do it for this weekend I'd say only an injury to McCarthy should provide Federici with a look-in.

Svlad Cjelli I'd also argue with the claim of "better distribution" - I just don't buy it at all.

Federici's kicking is certainly more of a weapon as he can release Long and Kebe on the counter in a way that McCarthy can't (his kicks don't penetrate in the same way and are much easier to defend).

McCarthy's recent confidence in rolling the ball out to Griffin and Harte is very noticable and in general better than Federici's but it's not really the way we've played whilst winning 8 on the bounce. The more considered roll out to the fullback only really came in with the recent poorer performances so not sure it's that much of a benefit in this team.

Isn't the recent poorer distribution more down to the return of Mills in favour of Ivar? In my eyes Mills is the real cuplrit when it comes to aimless hoofball.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2011 14:26

Mills certainly compounds the issue yes.

If the keeper doesn't give the back four the ball, or even takes it off them to kick off the deck, then Mills aimless launches up the park wouldn't be as much of an issue.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 29 Apr 2011 19:29

Schards#2 If it ain't broke, don't fix it - and our goalkeeping position curently ain't broke.

The team's had it's best run of the season (by a mile) coinciding with McArthy being in the team. Why change?

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 29 Apr 2011 19:43

Svlad Cjelli
andrew1957 Hi Snowball

I don't disagree that McCarthy's stats are as good. I was really making the point that they are similar to Federici's.

The key points to me are Fed's greater experience and better distribution.

In any case it is Brian's call. I think he will either bring back Federici on Saturday as he has an excuse to do so after the defeat or else stick with McCarthy throughout.

I'd counter the "greater experience" with the fact that someone who'd been playing continuouslyy is bound to be in better form and confidence than someone coming in cold after not playing for the best part of 3 months.

I'd also argue with the claim of "better distribution" - I just don't buy it at all.

Andrew is famously wrong about most footballing judgements. Not for nothing did he gain the moniker, "the older Ian Royal".

The keeper in possession stays in goal until poor performances make it necessary to drop him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Apr 2011 19:46

Breaking News: - Federici back in the starting 11 tomorrow.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 29 Apr 2011 20:02

paultheroyal Breaking News: - Federici back in the starting 11 tomorrow.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Apr 2011 20:17

Tweet Tweet.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 29 Apr 2011 20:34

whose?

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 30 Apr 2011 12:25

JonnyFordhamJonny Fordham 's twitter;

Adam Federici STARTS for #readingfc today

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 30 Apr 2011 12:33

Hmm i'm actually surprised by that although maybe it is the right decision - we don't know what the defence think of AMc compared to Feds etc. Main team news is RE Jimmy Kebe though!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Apr 2011 13:18

Awful decision if true.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 30 Apr 2011 13:27

Feds will likely do a decent job, but this seems as much of a backward step as it would have been to take Shorey out of the first team when Robinson regained fitness.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 30 Apr 2011 13:32

Feds is the senior player so he comes in i guess. Manset was playing ok in the games he started but Hunt is the senior player so came back in. The same happened with Cummings and Griffin.

Both are able keepers so whoever plays doesn't really bother me too much, unless they have a bad game of course. :wink:

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 30 Apr 2011 14:07

Thought McD was better than that, don't agree with this at all!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Apr 2011 14:47

Drew_3
paultheroyal Breaking News: - Federici back in the starting 11 tomorrow.

As it's reliable one I will keep that to myself for now.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 30 Apr 2011 14:49

Fair enough paul, can't complain at that one, you called it right, well done.

So by McD actions, if we loose today is McCarthy back in the team?!!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Apr 2011 17:30

Bit gutting for McCarthy, as the decision to reinstate Feds gives the impression (at least) that McDermott doesn't trust him for the playoffs.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 30 Apr 2011 18:08

I have a feeling we will be wishing McCarthy was between the sticks for the playoffs.

185 posts