BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

185 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

by Millsy » 25 Apr 2011 18:14

Hopefully my track record shows that I'm not a player knocker and will generally rise to the defence of players and managers, and in a way this is no different because McCarthy is a great young keeper with a promising future, but we just HAVE to bring Feds back as keeper.

We have been on an incredible run and I can't fault BM for sticking with McCarthy, who to be fair has made a lot of top class saves, but it's time to revert to our tried and tested number one. I hate knocking players unduly but yet again today instead of catching a free kick or parrying it out he parries it right to the onrushing player, like he's done before, and once again he costs us a goal. Not to mention the monumental **** up of letting in another goal by kicking it into the back of their striker, which he was extremely lucky was not allowed anyway. And let's not even begin to talk about his mediocre distribution compared to Feds - one of the best distributors of the ball I've ever seen play in goal for Reading.

He is a good lad and will make a great keeper one day - in fact he's almost there already - but he's too young and inexperienced to be the main man between the sticks for us at such a crucial time.

Please BM think about bringing back Feds. If you don't then I'll accept there's a good reason as I'm beginning to repect you more every game, but surely we can't go risking it with McCarthy in the vital playoffs... can we?

(If anyone thinks this is a knee-jerk for losing, let me assure you I couldn't give a toss about the defeat today and if anything see it as a blessing in disguise: better to have a wakeup call now and focus on the playoffs than miss out on the last day and enter the playoffs with broken hearts.)

(And if anyone thinks I'm a Feds lover - I'm actually indifferent towards him. A top keeper who's made errors too but is a far safer option than the developing McCarthy.)

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

by paultheroyal » 25 Apr 2011 18:15

Yep, I would agree with all of that.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 25 Apr 2011 18:15

Thanks for putting the 'jerk' into 'knee-jerk'.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2011 18:16

What a ridiculous over-reaction, just typical of our idiot fans, to ask for a player to be dropped after one poor result.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 25 Apr 2011 18:17

TBH i prefer Alex over Fed, but i would prob bring back Fed now if i was manager.

dantheloyalroyal

by dantheloyalroyal » 25 Apr 2011 18:17

2 world wars, 1 world cup We have been on an incredible run and I can't fault BM for sticking with McCarthy, who to be fair has made a lot of top class saves, but it's time to revert to our tried and tested number one. I hate knocking players unduly but yet again today instead of catching a free kick or parrying it out he parries it right to the onrushing player, like he's done before, and once again he costs us a goal. Not to mention the monumental **** up of letting in another goal by kicking it into the back of their striker, which he was extremely lucky was not allowed anyway.
Shouldn't every outfield player be dropped for not getting to the ball before the onrushing player, then? And was it not Federici who kicked the ball against Karacan to allow Earnshaw to score?

Just saying :)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Apr 2011 18:19

Ian Royal What a ridiculous over-reaction, just typical of our idiot fans, to ask for a player to be dropped after one poor result.

Mate some respect please. You're a good lad. No reason to insult those with views you don't agree with.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 25 Apr 2011 18:19

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - and our goalkeeping position curently ain't broke.

The team's had it's best run of the season (by a mile) coinciding with McArthy being in the team. Why change?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2011 18:20

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Ian Royal What a ridiculous over-reaction, just typical of our idiot fans, to ask for a player to be dropped after one poor result.

Mate some respect please. You're a good lad. No reason to insult those with views you don't agree with.

Post knee-jerk over-reaction nonsense, get called on it. As most are pointing out to you.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Apr 2011 18:20

The fact it was a good save from the free-kick as well. Shocking defence to let the guy get there first ANDDDDDDD cut it back to someone with a free header. Not mccarthy's fault for the goal in the slightest.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2011 18:22

FiNeRaIn

The fact it was a good save from the free-kick as well. Shocking defence to let the guy get there first ANDDDDDDD cut it back to someone with a free header. Not mccarthy's fault for the goal in the slightest.

Totally agree, he palmed it out wide where it was too narrow an angle to score.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Apr 2011 18:23

Ian Royal

Post knee-jerk over-reaction nonsense, get called on it. As most are pointing out to you.

Fine, I'll take the hits. It's what a discussion board is for. But name-calling is embarrassingly immature. Especially as you know I have time and respect for you.

tink

by tink » 25 Apr 2011 18:23

I think the difficulty that McD faces is that if we were to get to an extremely high pressure game, i.e. the play off final, you would want your most experienced pros in the team, and it would have been a huge risk to keep mccarthy in when he has no 'big match' experience.

If we had kept on winning, then i think McD would have stuck with him, but now we've had a defeat, McD has a reason to get Feds back in goal for the play-offs and i honestly do think we will be better off with him in the team should we make it to wembley.

I don't think McC deserves to be dropped off the back of one performance, but if ever there was a time to bring Feds back in, then now would be it...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Apr 2011 18:25

tink I don't think McC deserves to be dropped off the back of one performance, but if ever there was a time to bring Feds back in, then now would be it...

Put my thoughts better than I did.

THis is n't abotu knocking McC or dropping him in a knee-jerk way. I fo one have pointed out his frailties a while back but wanted him to stay.

This is about just doing the safest thing.

It's not rocket science.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 25 Apr 2011 18:37

One dodgy performance and the knives are out. How many times has feds made errors and we've stuck by him? The whole team were at fault today, the defence in particular, not just mccarthy.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 25 Apr 2011 18:46

Reading fan in slating player after one dodgy game shocker.

Federici won't play for us again this season, and the way McCarthy's been playing he deserves to stay in the team.

Optimist

by Optimist » 25 Apr 2011 18:52

I think Feds and McCarthy are both top keepers, but for now keep Alex in the team. One bad result after such a good run is no reason to drop anyone. Also as its such a crucial stage in the season I'd consider bringing in anyone who hasn't played in a couple of months (particularly where GKs are concerned) to be very risky. McCarthy will be fine.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 25 Apr 2011 18:58

Plymouth_Royal One dodgy performance and the knives are out. How many times has feds made errors and we've stuck by him? The whole team were at fault today, the defence in particular, not just mccarthy.

Totally agree with this, we were the best team for the first 25 mins, but we were a bit fortunate with our goals. They then took over and by the time we realised the game had gone it was too late. We played well for the last ten minutes without really threatening. We were second to most balls and relied on the long ball too much.
Lets not forget we were due to get beat at some point, lets just hope we don't lose anymore.

Archies Left Foot
Location: Well it's something your mother can't abide, but it's something that I freely prescribe

by Archies Left Foot » 25 Apr 2011 19:15

I hate knocking players unduly but yet again today instead of catching a free kick or parrying it out he parries it right to the onrushing player, like he's done before, and once again he costs us a goal.

Crud! it was an excellent save from the free kick which he pushed wide of the post, the only people to react were SheffU players rushing back in, the gap was too narrow and ball played back out to someone else to score, how is that his fault, it's our defence that should be taking a look at themselves for that one?

Not to mention the monumental **** up of letting in another goal by kicking it into the back of their striker, which he was extremely lucky was not allowed anyway.

Another crud! The player kicked it from his hands just as he let it go to kick it, then passed to another player who was in an offside position. Two offences occurring of which either could have led to the free kick

And let's not even begin to talk about his mediocre distribution compared to Feds - one of the best distributors of the ball I've ever seen play in goal for Reading.

I wouldn't call it mediocre, his distribution isn't as good as he can't kick the ball in that arrow way that Feds does. However I can recall many a game when one of Feds kicks has gone straight out of play

superreadingfan

by superreadingfan » 25 Apr 2011 19:17

2 world wars, 1 world cup Hopefully my track record shows that I'm not a player knocker and will generally rise to the defence of players and managers, and in a way this is no different because McCarthy is a great young keeper with a promising future, but we just HAVE to bring Feds back as keeper.

We have been on an incredible run and I can't fault BM for sticking with McCarthy, who to be fair has made a lot of top class saves, but it's time to revert to our tried and tested number one. I hate knocking players unduly but yet again today instead of catching a free kick or parrying it out he parries it right to the onrushing player, like he's done before, and once again he costs us a goal. Not to mention the monumental **** up of letting in another goal by kicking it into the back of their striker, which he was extremely lucky was not allowed anyway. And let's not even begin to talk about his mediocre distribution compared to Feds - one of the best distributors of the ball I've ever seen play in goal for Reading.

He is a good lad and will make a great keeper one day - in fact he's almost there already - but he's too young and inexperienced to be the main man between the sticks for us at such a crucial time.

Please BM think about bringing back Feds. If you don't then I'll accept there's a good reason as I'm beginning to repect you more every game, but surely we can't go risking it with McCarthy in the vital playoffs... can we?

(If anyone thinks this is a knee-jerk for losing, let me assure you I couldn't give a toss about the defeat today and if anything see it as a blessing in disguise: better to have a wakeup call now and focus on the playoffs than miss out on the last day and enter the playoffs with broken hearts.)

(And if anyone thinks I'm a Feds lover - I'm actually indifferent towards him. A top keeper who's made errors too but is a far safer option than the developing McCarthy.)

i agree

185 posts