BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

185 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

by FiNeRaIn » 07 May 2011 18:02

I thought he was poor for their goal, but heard it may have a taken a deflection...so will need to see it again.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 May 2011 18:24

Unfair to blame Feds for the goal. The ball was moving all over the place.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 07 May 2011 18:54

andrew1957
Bandini
Andrew is famously wrong about most footballing judgements. Not for nothing did he gain the moniker, "the older Ian Royal".

The keeper in possession stays in goal until poor performances make it necessary to drop him.

I was not going to bother to respond but was a bit intrigued by your comments.

1/ Obviously Brian McD has little knowledge of football as far as you are concerned - as he did just as I thought he would and brought Fed back in for Coventry.

2/ I did think we would survive in the second PL season (and still think we should have done) but apart from that my footballing judgements are usually proved correct.

3/ I am intrigued about the older Ian Royal comment. I have never seen anyone call me that - could have missed it I suppose. Not sure if it is a slight on me or not.

Anyway better luck next time in your attempts at being critical – it must have been embarrassing for you when Fed was recalled.

Why would the recall have been embarrassing? I think it was the wrong decision both on current abilities and for the future of the club; the decision being made doesn't affect the merits of that view. I have, of course, made no criticism of McDermott's knowledge, my comments are a criticism of his judgement. As you will have seen if you read other posts on this thread (with rather more care than you have read mine), views on this are split.

In any event, I was of course winding you up and at the same time having a dig at Ian. I suggest that you both treat my comments as a slight.

That said, it is rather hard to take your comments seriously following your "cup finals" debacle.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 May 2011 19:53

sandman Unfair to blame Feds for the goal. The ball was moving all over the place.

Really? To me it looked like he was totally out of position, moved a step right after the ball was clearly struck to his left and failed his attempt at yet another camera save. It's amazing how he makes everything look ten times harder than it actually is.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 May 2011 20:01

It was swerving, dipping and took a deflection. Sat behind the goal and the general feeling was that McCarthy would've struggled to save it as well.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 May 2011 22:35

Ridiculous to be critical of Federici when he has only let in one in two matches. Hardly a disasterous recall so far. And his distribution is consistently very good.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 07 May 2011 22:38

andrew1957 Ridiculous to be critical of Federici when he has only let in one in two matches. Hardly a disasterous recall so far. And his distribution is consistently very good.

If he lets one soft goal in every two games he isn't going to be much use to us.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 May 2011 22:46

Handsome Man
andrew1957 Ridiculous to be critical of Federici when he has only let in one in two matches. Hardly a disasterous recall so far. And his distribution is consistently very good.

If he lets one soft goal in every two games he isn't going to be much use to us.

If he only lets in one goal in two games against Cardiff I will be delighted - as I am sure we can score at least two!!

Fed still has a better record than McCarthy this season in terms of goals conceded per game. McCarthy has been great while Federici was injured - but he really is no better than our number 1.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 07 May 2011 22:47

Svlad Cjelli One of the criticisms levelled at Federici is poor positioning and a tendency to lose concentration - both very much in evidence for the Derby goal.

I just always feel much, much, more confident and comfortable when McCarthy is in goal.

^^ this.

Two worries I have with the pressure of the play-offs are 1) No Kebe and 2) Federici in goal.

He might be more experienced but actually not by all that much, and he in my opinion shouldn't have been dropped.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 May 2011 22:51

This.

Federici is number 1 and rightly so.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 May 2011 23:01

andrew1957
Handsome Man

If he only lets in one goal in two games against Cardiff I will be delighted - as I am sure we can score at least two!!

Fed still has a better record than McCarthy this season in terms of goals conceded per game. McCarthy has been great while Federici was injured - but he really is no better than our number 1.

You need your eyes tested.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 May 2011 23:04

paultheroyal

This.

Federici is number 1 and rightly so.

He's cost us 1 more goal in 2 games than McCarthy did in 14 games...says it all really. No coincidence our record coincided with Federici not playing...as for distribution, you need to look at McCarthy's ball for our second against Sheffield United.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 08 May 2011 08:39

Feds always looks wobbly on those swerving long shots. Sometimes he gets to them and makes it look like he's made a great save ( and occasionally it is a great save ) . The crux of it is , I don't think he's that great at picking up the flight of the ball ( and he could lose a pound or two ). I'd have McCarthy back. Still don't know why he was dropped. Perhaps McDermott was thinking he wanted Feds in the play-offs for his experience and wanted to give him a few games leading in. I'd just pick the better keeper.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 May 2011 08:47

sandman Unfair to blame Feds for the goal. The ball was moving all over the place.

Was right in line with the trajectory. It didn't.

Feds moved to his right in anticipation, then got wrong-footed and couldn't get back.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 08 May 2011 10:11

Terrible fans' reaction afterwards: ironically cheering his next save. Who are these non-fans? We know that some people attend Reading matches in Man U shirts and others support whichever team Brendan Rodgered manages but, come on.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 08 May 2011 10:41

Platypuss

Feds moved to his right in anticipation, then got wrong-footed and couldn't get back.

From where I was, I thought that it should have been a routine save, but I do sit to the side of the North Stand goal. I haven't seen any replays yet so it will be interesting to see.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 May 2011 10:57

Platypuss

Well I was also right in line so we'll have agree to disagree.
Last edited by sandman on 08 May 2011 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 May 2011 10:58

Svlad Cjelli One of the criticisms levelled at Federici is poor positioning and a tendency to lose concentration - both very much in evidence for the Derby goal.

I just always feel much, much, more confident and comfortable when McCarthy is in goal.

+1

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 08 May 2011 11:26

sandman
Platypuss

Well I was also right in line so we'll have agree to disagree.

Gents, there's no argument here. I was sitting a few rows back on the west in 220, and believe me, the ball moved. I was right in line and followed the ball, it moved a good 2-3 feet away from Feds. Even my 9 yr old saw it.

Look at the replays and it's obvious.

And IMO, Feds did move to the right and misjudged the flight, and got wrong footed.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 May 2011 11:59

Massive swerve on the ball did for Federici, end of story.

185 posts