Robbie Savage......

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Even Robbie Savage Loves Us

by Ian Royal » 09 May 2011 12:20

That's what I like about our fans. You can trust us to give someone stick, but we damn well know a good player and once the game is over, or before it starts, we give the recognition people deserve.

Good honest, hardworking player, and a character as well. Never ever hid from responsibility. And he did stroke the ball around nicely for Derby in his last game.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 May 2011 12:25

Always comes accross as a good natured bloke off the pitch, but a real irritation on it - unless he's playing for your side.

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 09 May 2011 12:31

Agent Balti http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/derbycounty/fb_news.php?storyid=12469

Robbie Savage was blown away by the Reading fans reaction to him in his final match:

“Reading are my second team after today. I think they gave me the respect that I deserve, it was a big send-off.”

“The team that finishes in sixth place, in this case Nottingham Forest, normally do well in the play-offs. But imagine a Cardiff v Swansea final – wow! The way I was treated today I’d like to see Reading to get that final place.”

“They’re my second team now. I would like to see a Welsh club in the Premier League but I’ll be looking out for Reading from now on. I’ve had stick off both Cardiff and Swansea fans over the years, but after that reaction I would like Reading to go up.”

That crowd showed some respect to a player that has played at the top for so long.

“In the past I have thrown my toys out of the pram with Wales and Birmingham, but that is the way I am – all or nothing. I have always given my best and I feel I’m too good to play in League One or League Two.”

“I could have had at least another year, but I don’t want to be a player that has 20 minutes here or 25 minutes there. I don’t want to play next season with people saying he’s finished.”

“I don’t want to be a player that goes on for one too many season, so that’s it for me. There is no coaching or management for me. I have got a lot of things going on and it’s the start of another career where I intend to be the best I can.”

Gotta love how much he thinks of himself. Top bloke though, from what I have seen/read..

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Robbie Savage......

by Muskrat » 09 May 2011 12:49

royalexile Pretty humorous display from the man after the match. Nice vest and pants. Top drawers stuff.

Corrected for you.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 May 2011 12:50

I think tonight I will have to listen to the BBC podcast of saturday's 606 to hear what he has to say for himself. And fair play to everyone who gave him a rousing send off. Sometimes our particular set of mongs know how to behave :wink:

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 May 2011 12:52

Always feels good when we gain a new fan. To think I can now boast that I support Robbie Savage's second team... :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 May 2011 17:58

Sarah Star Always feels good when we gain a new fan. To think I can now boast that I support Robbie Savage's second team... :lol:

That's not likely to win you a lot of respect though.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 09 May 2011 21:41

Sarah Star Always feels good when we gain a new fan. To think I can now boast that I support Robbie Savage's second team... :lol:

What - Crewe Alexandra?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 May 2011 22:16

Ian Royal

That's not likely to win you a lot of respect though.

Would give me a laugh though... especially when people ask if I mean Crewe Alexandra - and that's the main thing.

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 10 May 2011 07:57

facaldaqui I'm proud he said that. We are always being told we are crap fans, even by our own, but we are not crap fans. We know the difference between a pantomime villain and an arsehole (we wouldn't have given that reception to someone like Lothar Matthäus, for example). Savage wouldn't have got that reception at Swansea or Cardiff, to say the least.

He's generally over-critical of us and I don't think this tackle from last season helped:

He gave his all at international level, although still not quite sure what happened with Toshack, but I think most would've given him a round of applause.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 10 May 2011 08:04

I'll be happy to say that I'm now Robbie Savage's second fan....

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 10 May 2011 21:07

At the risk of sounding like a twat ..... I've met Robbie Savage and had a few beers with him, and he's one of the nicest blokes you could meet.

Anyone with a kid on holiday will know that it can be a nightmare if they start playing with other kids. You never know if their parent's going to want to be your new best friend, or your next nightmare. So imagine my surprise when my little boy starts playing with this other kid, and his old man comes over and starts talking. Cue Robbie Savage.....

Nice bloke,interested in what I did for a living, what team I supported and why. It was around the time when he was getting mauled for wanting out of Birmingham and joining Blackburn. He was honest about doing it for money, said he had a short shelf life, had to setup his family now because he could spend the last 50 years of his life without earning a penny. Fair point I thought.

Still a horrible bastard on the pitch though. :)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 May 2011 09:31

CayeneMatt He was honest about doing it for money, said he had a short shelf life, had to setup his family now because he could spend the last 50 years of his life without earning a penny. Fair point I thought.
That's the kind of reasonable argument that football fans sickened by players high wages can understand and appreciate.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 May 2011 10:05

I find him pretty irritating on the radio, but, as with his on-field career, there's plenty to like about him as well.

I suspect wherever his new career takes him he WILL speak his mind, and imo that is the minimum requirement of an ex-player pundit. They don't have to court controversy but if they are only semi-articulate (Savage is actually better than many) then we have to feel there is an honesty and integrity about them for it to be worthwhile tuning in to hear them.

Oh and as a player, yes he was irritating much of the time but imo never ever dirty like say Paul Scholes, with whom he presumably learned the game at ManU.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 11 May 2011 14:23

Forbury Lion
CayeneMatt He was honest about doing it for money, said he had a short shelf life, had to setup his family now because he could spend the last 50 years of his life without earning a penny. Fair point I thought.
That's the kind of reasonable argument that football fans sickened by players high wages can understand and appreciate.

I don't think thats as bad as the boy assou ekotto who says it is just a job

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 11 May 2011 14:33

Savage is one of those players that everyone hates, unless he plays for your team. You knew what you were going to get from Sav, heart on his sleeve and would run through brick walls for his team. Not many other players would do that these days

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 11 May 2011 15:37

Royal Rother
Oh and as a player, yes he was irritating much of the time but imo never ever dirty like say Paul Scholes, with whom he presumably learned the game at ManU.

Don't think Scholes is dirty. He just can't tackle - period!!! All the cards are for poor timing rather than intent, then he always has that "oops! got another wrong" dopey look on his face as the card comes out.

Savage = top bloke. We all know a good panto villain when we see one, and I like his honesty. Too many diplomats around now.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 11 May 2011 19:02

Forbury Lion

Agreed. Saw a documentary on him a few years ago, showed his home life and all that - came across well, decent family guy.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 12 May 2011 11:20

Z175 I don't think thats as bad as the boy assou ekotto who says it is just a job

Why is that in any way bad? It is just his job. He turns up, does his job and goes home. I'd rather a team of players with his attitude and level of consistency than a team of badge kissing love of the game merchants who pick and chose which games they'll try 100% in.

As for Savage, you can't but admire someone that's made the most of his talents. He's played on the pantomime villan bit as it worked for him and more importantly the teams he played for. I'd rather he toned down the arrogance a bit but if I'd had his career I'd be justifably proud of myself.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 May 2011 12:00

Didn't like his criticism of Toshak. The man achieved far, far more in his (playing) career than Robbie Savage and deserved more respect from him.