HRK vs Antonio

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: HRK vs Antonio

by Sarah Star » 07 May 2011 19:38

Antonio trying too hard to impress, I thought. Felt more sorry for Church though.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 May 2011 20:05

Hoop Blah Forty, McAnuff isn't as spectacular as the other wingers but his workrate and end product (he was poor the other day but still created our two goals) are more consistent. You can't have both wingers being hot and cold players. McAnuff is consistantly a 7/10 performer and never let's down his fullback by over committing up front, being poor positionally or through pure laziness.

Robson-Kanu had a very good game today and he has been putting in some better performances as he's played more (Kebe's absence helping him there) but he's still inconsistent and looks to outmuscle defenders instead of using his brain or skills too much for my liking. Half decent backup but not good enough at the moment to hold down a first team place.

Pretty much agree with that Hoops.
Whereas HRK has improved (which he needed to) unfortunately Antonio has gone backwards and he does look like a player still fresh from non-league and in desperate need of more professional coaching in so many areas.
If we were to get promoted I can't see HRK,Church,Antonio or Pearce being part of the set-up whereas Cummings clearly has the scope and might be able to step up and I can see why the new Sammy Igoe (Jake Taylor) is seen as a good prospect.
Whether we get promoted or not we may have seen the last of Antonio.
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 08 May 2011 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 07 May 2011 20:27

The Surgeon of Crowthorne You could tell by the Antonio trudged off when he was subbed that he felt he'd blown his chance to impress. I'm sure he would have been disappointed with his performance today

He certainly failed in a few basics today, the miscontrol by the touchline being one example.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 May 2011 20:39

Optimist I hope BM gives Antonio a game up front during pre-season, as thats where he played (and played well) at Southampton.

No it wasn't. I asked a Southampton supporting mate if he thought Antonio might be able to play on the left here and there, he laughed and said he didn't have the technical ability to cut inside or play in the centre of the pitch. He did, however, play up front for Tooting and Mitcham (sp) on occasion iirc.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 May 2011 09:44

glass half full
The Surgeon of Crowthorne You could tell by the Antonio trudged off when he was subbed that he felt he'd blown his chance to impress. I'm sure he would have been disappointed with his performance today

He certainly failed in a few basics today, the miscontrol by the touchline being one example.

Which one?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 May 2011 10:57

Bas savage >>>>>>>>>>> antonio

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 May 2011 11:00

HRK was my MOTM yesterday but the one thing I've noticed about him is that he tends to do naff all in away games. Think he's one who needs a lot of encouragement to fulfill his potential.

Antonio was very poor yesterday and I am generally an Antonio fan - he doesn't look anywhere near as fast as he was at the start of the season but doesn't appear to have bulked up either? Perhaps not at full fitness.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 May 2011 22:23

Platypuss
glass half full

Which one?

Might that be ball control by any chance?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 May 2011 00:41

I think we've seen at Coventry and yesterday why Antonio has a fraction of the starts of HRK. He doesn't really know what he's doing and defensively he's non-existent.

HRK may be utter crap sometimes, but he's a player on the park getting involved. And he showed what he's got in his locker. Still have hopes for Antonio, but he needs to improve.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 09 May 2011 09:31

Not sure I've seen a professional footballer with such a bad first touch as Antonio, sadly.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 09 May 2011 09:32

The Goat was fed Not sure I've seen a professional footballer with such a bad first touch as Antonio, sadly.

Lita?
2009-era Shane Long?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 09 May 2011 10:05

Royalee
rhroyal Where did Taylor play when he came on? Could he feasibly overtake Antonio next season?

He played on the right and looked comfortable...good footballer - a bit disappointed he hasn't featured more this year (although he's been injured a bit) give his pre-season.

I think he's the new Henry.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 May 2011 10:29

new sigurrdson.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 09 May 2011 11:17

Svlad Cjelli Massively impressed by Shaun Cummings today - looked good and strong at the back and confident going forward.

+1

I for one, didn't expect to see him in a Reading 1st team again after the torrid time he had in the team last season, but he is looking like a genuine contender for the 1st team right back slot now.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 May 2011 11:24

hes been spot on this season, what a top bloke too. nailed on as our premiere league RB next season :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 May 2011 11:31

So that's Kebe, Long, Harte, Pearce, Leigertwood, Cummings and now HRK who have all stepped up after receiving irrational "abuse" on here.

Time to pick on someone else this week before the play offs start - so make it quick, vitriolic and the more ignorant the better. Church, Hunt and McAnuff could probably do with a lift right now, so I recommend them as the new targets.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2011 12:12

If players play poorly then they're likely to get a bit of stick, that's hardly surprising is it? It wasn't just on here that he was derided for being so poor too, remember that McDermott didn't even take him on tour and basically pushed him aside.

Fair play to him for bouncing back, he's done a great job of turning round his Reading career.

I think he might've been one who should've closed down their number 10 before he had a chance to line up his shot (that Federici should've saved) though.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 09 May 2011 12:21

Hoop Blah I think he might've been one who should've closed down their number 10 before he had a chance to line up his shot (that Federici should've saved) though.

No that was definately Mills. Cummings was out wide on the player who played the ball into Ward, and then Mills gave him 5 yards of space in which to control, turn and fire his shot into the goal....(Mills did make a token gesture of waving his leg around a bit though).

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 May 2011 12:30

...Before having a go at Cummings for covering the wide man

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 May 2011 12:30

ayjaydee On the other hand Antonio was awful. I have still yet to see a footballer in him.
I think the problem with Antonio is that he's trying too hard to prove himself, when he makes a mistake it seems to affect him. I just hope he never visits this board.

Food for thought though - Shane Long player of the season, it wasn't long ago that people were saying the same about him (in fact one or two are still saying it).

Simon Church, he's another one - make a mistake and he's waving his arms about looking at the ground going all dramatic when he should keep his head up and his eyes on the ball - happened again versus Derby, he messed up and the ball was heading out but whilst he was busy doing the theatrical moves one of our players got to it before it went out.