Official: Adam Le Fondre signs for Reading

484 posts
Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Official: Adam Le Fondre signs for Reading

by Rawlie19 » 01 Feb 2013 06:20

Libertine I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but Alfie is joint 6th for goals scored in the PL as of this post and joint 5th in scoring for forwards. Just wanted to make light of those factoids... 8)

Where is he for English goal scorers in the Premier League?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 Feb 2013 06:23

Joint 2nd overall and for forwards in goals scored. 8) 8)

Niko

by Niko » 01 Feb 2013 06:31

Rawlie19
Libertine I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but Alfie is joint 6th for goals scored in the PL as of this post and joint 5th in scoring for forwards. Just wanted to make light of those factoids... 8)

Where is he for English goal scorers in the Premier League?

Joint 2nd on 10 with Defoe and Lambert, only 1 behind Walcott.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 Feb 2013 06:41

People go on about how he is scoring most of them coming off the bench, like that somehow diminishes his contribution. But one behind Walcott for best English goal scorer in the PL this season is impressive no matter how you slice it. And his last 4 goals have been from open play, 3 of them being very classy strikes...and helping us get 7 out of the last 9 points. People should be taking notice...

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 01 Feb 2013 06:47

Libertine People go on about how he is scoring most of them coming off the bench, like that somehow diminishes his contribution. But one behind Walcott for best English goal scorer in the PL this season is impressive no matter how you slice it. And his last 4 goals have been from open play, 3 of them being very classy strikes...and helping us get 7 out of the last 9 points. People should be taking notice...

But... he didn't cost 20 million therefore does not count with most of the mongtards that follow the premiership or post on the team board

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 04 Feb 2013 10:03

72 bus
Libertine People go on about how he is scoring most of them coming off the bench, like that somehow diminishes his contribution. But one behind Walcott for best English goal scorer in the PL this season is impressive no matter how you slice it. And his last 4 goals have been from open play, 3 of them being very classy strikes...and helping us get 7 out of the last 9 points. People should be taking notice...

But... he didn't cost 20 million therefore does not count with most of the mongtards that follow the premiership or post on the team board

People that follow the 'Premiership' aren't interested in football. They like games with egg shaped balls. HTH.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 04 Feb 2013 15:15

Rawlie19
72 bus

People that follow the 'Premiership' aren't interested in football. They like games with egg shaped balls. HTH.

Really does it matter if its called the Premiership or Premier League? Surely you know what he means :roll:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 04 Feb 2013 15:16

Is there any point at all in trying 4-5-1 with Alfie up top?

RoyalTank

by RoyalTank » 04 Feb 2013 15:25

Extended-Phenotype Is there any point at all in trying 4-5-1 with Alfie up top?

Prsonally i think we should keep pog up top on his own, why change a winning formula?

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 04 Feb 2013 15:28

royal_ross
Rawlie19
72 bus People that follow the 'Premiership' aren't interested in football. They like games with egg shaped balls. HTH.

Really does it matter if its called the Premiership or Premier League? Surely you know what he means :roll:

Ironically, ALF was repeatedly calling it 'The Premiership' on Goals on Sunday.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 04 Feb 2013 15:30

True. But I can't help be tempted by the thought of changing a winning formula for the better.

For arguments sake, could Alfie play the position at all? It feels like the only way he would get a start, unless we use him wide. I can't see us begining a Prem match with 4-4-2 again.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 04 Feb 2013 15:55

There no way Alfie could do the hold up work that Pog does, the centre backs would have him for breakfast.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SPECULATION : ADAM LE FONDRE

by juanpablo » 04 Feb 2013 16:03

SouthDownsRoyal how many times?

WE ARE NOT BUYING A STRIKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha at the inside line

RoyalTank

by RoyalTank » 04 Feb 2013 16:15

Extended-Phenotype True. But I can't help be tempted by the thought of changing a winning formula for the better.

For arguments sake, could Alfie play the position at all? It feels like the only way he would get a start, unless we use him wide. I can't see us begining a Prem match with 4-4-2 again.

i feel that he would score more goals than pog does up top on his own, however he cant hold up the ball like pog and when we have pearce and harte lumping the ball into the other half every time they get a touch then a strong player like pog is what we need.

i do feel for alf because he is scoring goals but putting him up top on his simply wouldnt work.

obviously this is just my opinion no one really knows how he would do until he is given a chance but i dont think that brian needs to change it atm.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Feb 2013 17:19

Yes, absolutely. But not whilst Pog is fit and playing well.

We'd have to play differently (which would be for the better IMO) because we couldn't pump it up to his chest / head nearly as much as Pog. But he's stronger than he looks and he's very clever with how he controls a ball. Plus he's good at feeding others. So play it along the ground a bit more and make sure we have a couple of players a bit nearer him than they usually are to Pog when it's fed to him and I think it could work.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 04 Feb 2013 17:26

I think what people forget is we don't create many chances for 80 minutes. We've learnt from our naivety at the beginning of the season - teams like Fulham, Newcastle were getting points just from taking their chances.

Now we just cynically stay in the game. We fight every ball, we don't all rush forward to attack (until the end), the opponents attacks invariably have to go through all of our 11 men to score so invariably don't make it into a dangerous situation.

Only when we have won the mental and physical battle can we go hell for leather. And thats the period we need Alfie for.

But on Alfie himself - his touch and composure is neat and his vision is excellent. Its not at all just about finishing, hes no slouch either. Could he do a job at a bigger club or for England? Absolutely. Obviously few teams play 4-4-2 these days but I could see him fit in at teams like Arsenal and Liverpool where bulk isn't so important. Lets face it if he had played for Chelsea last week we'd have lost 4-0.

I think if we stay up we should try and go back to 4-4-2, 451 is being too scared of the oppostion and denies yourself opportunities up front. Its great for playing cagey international matches/ champions league games or relegation battles, but if you want to establish your way of playing and maximise our direct attacking play, we should have two up front. I appreciate we failed at that this season but the Champ 4-4-2 with box to box midfielders doesn't work in the PL.

Ideally we would have a classic holding centre midfielder who never gives the ball away and a more attacking midfielder comfortable on the ball sat next to them. Sadly I don't think we have either right now, and if our aim is to sign a Sigurddson, Ince or Aspas I can't see 4-5-1 going.

With Sturridge and Defoe out of Wednesdays England friendly, lets hope he gets the nod ahead of Lambert or Zaha. Imagine a Reading player, making their England debut, against Brazil at Wembley... oh!

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 04 Feb 2013 17:28

moo How often do we see players banging in goals at the lower leagues and never make it? Andy Morrell has a class above and never managed it. I'd love to take a wager that he would FLOP in this league.

:oops: :oops:

That was embarrasing

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 04 Feb 2013 17:28

Royal Bahamas
moo How often do we see players banging in goals at the lower leagues and never make it? Andy Morrell has a class above and never managed it. I'd love to take a wager that he would FLOP in this league.

Oh Mr. Moo ..... what do you say now?

I am glad to be proven wrong, and erm, he doesnt perform if he starts etc etc :wink:

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 05 Feb 2013 10:22

I'm just waiting for the inevitable call up of 2 goal strikers Welbeck & Carroll over 10-11 goal strikers Lambert & ALF, the typical English/FA way.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 05 Feb 2013 11:04

Haven't trawled through all 24 pages so apologies if this has been posted before.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... bters.html

Good write up.

Brought a little glow to my heart..................

How long can we keep him?

484 posts