Anyone else think we will lose?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Anyone else think we will lose?

by Royalee » 24 May 2011 18:36

We'll probably lose but this time it won't hurt as much as before as we never expected to be in this position a few weeks ago...praying we win and it'd be awesome if we did.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 24 May 2011 18:44

Big Ern
floyd__streete Bloody hell, the 'gr8 day out' brigade - seriously, if you want a 'day out' go to Thorpe Park. It will be an absolutely horrible day, unless we somehow contrive to win the game.

Agreed. I remember the journeys back from Wembley in 95 and from Cardiff. I felt numb and sick and had to put up with thousands of joyous opposition fans goading us. Doubt we will be any different if we do pull it off, but was not very pleasant. Nothing positive to look forward to if we lose. All or best players will go, more cutting of the cloth and the usual Championship scrap.

Awwww!!! Come on Big Ern, chin up!

If we don't go up, we get to look forward to battling to go up instead of battling against relegation, we get to see the lads from the Academy coming through and some new faces, we get to go to Brighton in their new stadium, we get to stay in the most competitive league, we avoid all the plastics and the prima donnas from the Prem... there must be loads of things.

No point in concentrating on the bad stuff. As I see it, win or lose, it's a win-win situation for us anyway - and we get to go Wembley as a bonus!
Last edited by Sarah Star on 24 May 2011 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 24 May 2011 18:44

We our underdogs Swansea best team we have played this season. So I think we will lose. But you never know in football and as mentioned it would be just great to banish the memories of 95 and finally win a play off final.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 24 May 2011 18:45

What a bent post...
Felt numb and sick?

Try Quaaludes.

4-1 to Reading by the way.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 24 May 2011 18:49

readingbedding What a bent post...
Felt numb and sick?

Try Quaaludes.

I know, I should have found a news article and done a simple copy and paste.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 24 May 2011 19:17

Big Ern I personally think we will lose. Swansea have got the better of us twice this season, and think they will do it again as we bottle it in true Reading FC style

A remember at the Playoff Final against Bolton while Archie was preparing to take his Penalty, I turned to my mate and said, "He will miss and we are going to lose." At Cardiff when we went 2-1 up, I didn't even cheer as I knew we would lose. Can't help thinking the same here.

I so hope we can bury the 'Ghosts of Playoffs Past' but can't see it happening and fully expect to see Brenda prancing around with his massive watch at the final whistle. Anyone else feeling as negative as me?

Blimey, how do you live?

Hemenbruff Royal
Location: North Reading. Actually very north Reading. Okay, Yorkshire.

by Hemenbruff Royal » 24 May 2011 19:22

I think we have to win for the longer term future of the club.

There are some big (and rich) clubs coming into the Championship next season from both directions. It will be significantly harder to get promotion or a play-off spot next year and maybe several after that. The money to be had from even one season in the Premier League will set Reading up to survive as a solid Championship side (assuming we came straight back down) for a few more years to come.

If they don't then without significant investment in the team (which Sir JM has clearly stated is not coming from him) we can only survive by selling off the half decent players coming through the youth system. Then can see Reading falling away over the next few years back to League One.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 24 May 2011 19:23

floyd__streete
papereyes I want to banish ghosts of 1995 and 2001 (and minor gripes at 2003 and 2009) more than I want another season in the premiership.

plus one.

I also agree.

I'll add by saying that I believe Swansea are a better team than us, if we play our best we've got a chance and if we don't they'll win comfortably and good luck to them.

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 24 May 2011 19:31

Hemenbruff Royal I think we have to win for the longer term future of the club.

There are some big (and rich) clubs coming into the Championship next season from both directions. It will be significantly harder to get promotion or a play-off spot next year and maybe several after that.

I recall SSC saying just that at the start of the 2005/06 season. :D

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 24 May 2011 19:34

Elm Park Old Boy
Big Ern I personally think we will lose. Swansea have got the better of us twice this season, and think they will do it again as we bottle it in true Reading FC style

A remember at the Playoff Final against Bolton while Archie was preparing to take his Penalty, I turned to my mate and said, "He will miss and we are going to lose." At Cardiff when we went 2-1 up, I didn't even cheer as I knew we would lose. Can't help thinking the same here.

I so hope we can bury the 'Ghosts of Playoffs Past' but can't see it happening and fully expect to see Brenda prancing around with his massive watch at the final whistle. Anyone else feeling as negative as me?

Blimey, how do you live?

In the real world.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 May 2011 19:39

Going to go with the attitude of enjoying the day, build up etc and with the gut feeling that we lose I am hoping that this sort of attitude will soften the blow. Been hurt too many times before watching Reading play! Obviously if we win......

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 May 2011 19:47

Do we have more pussies as supporters than other clubs?

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 24 May 2011 19:48

It won't mean a thing on the day. Two seasons ago Shrewsbury thumped Gillingham 7-0 in a league match but when the two sides met in the Div 2 Play-off final Gillingham turned them over. I think the mental strength and composure Reading showed in the last match against Cardiff will give them the edge over Swansea.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 24 May 2011 19:50

I think the wemb
bobbybottler
floyd__streete
papereyes I want to banish ghosts of 1995 and 2001 (and minor gripes at 2003 and 2009) more than I want another season in the premiership.

plus one.

I also agree.

I'll add by saying that I believe Swansea are a better team than us, if we play our best we've got a chance and if we don't they'll win comfortably and good luck to them.

And i will add that i think the pitch will favour swansea and the way they play with pace on the wings through dyer and sinclair

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 May 2011 19:57

If we lose properly I have no problem but the manner we lost the last 2 was hard to take

Bolton - 2 up and miss a pen and they equalise 4 mins from end.

Walsall - home and dry in extra time as they were running on empty until a freak own goal turns it.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 24 May 2011 20:04

We have every chance of winning. One defeat in 17 games. Enough said.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 24 May 2011 20:05

I think with that level of negativity, you should not attend! Support or don't go!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 24 May 2011 20:17

I can't see how on earth losing this one will compare to Bolton or Walsall. Not even close.

We have gone on a storming run that no doubt has surprised those at the club just as much as the fans. They have done fantastically to get 5th place & yes I'll be gutted if we lose but it won't take me anywhere near as long to get over it.

A couple of hours later I'll be fine & able to celebrate a good season regardless.

Just hope it's not decided on a dodgy refereeing decision & the best team wins fairly on the day.

I'm more confident than I was a few weeks ago though - we seem to have turned a corner after a couple of crud performances. Winning away at Cardiff will have given them bags of confidence.

Yes Swansea beat us twice but that was a totally different team back then & before they had the meeting on what needed doing for the rest of the season.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 24 May 2011 20:40

Yep.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 24 May 2011 20:54

Big Ern
readingbedding What a bent post...
Felt numb and sick?

Try Quaaludes.

I know, I should have found a news article and done a simple copy and paste.

No one would have that in print, apart from geordies.