The next crop of youngsters

The Doctor

The next crop of youngsters

by The Doctor » 01 Jun 2011 18:23

so who are the next crop of youngsters breaking through?

Jake taylor looks very promising and mcdermott has been involving him where possible.
Jacob walcott? he went abroad on loan didn't he? pacey, tricky, a future kebe with work.
Mccarthy should, i hope, start the season as no.1. he's certainly good enough, and it makes sense to cash in on federici.
Lawson d'ath has scored for fun this season. attack minded midfielder, could be a similar prospect to sigurdsson. i would love to see this boy get a run in the team in pre-season.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The next crop of youngsters

by Agent Balti » 01 Jun 2011 18:32

There's the Obita lad also. He's highly rated to push thru, not sure if next season is too soon or not. May depend how successful we are at luring whomever our targets are as to whether we'll see some of these being blooded. Pre-season friendly squads will be interesting to see...

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 01 Jun 2011 19:46

An endless amount of goalkeepers

Boyle the Royal

by Boyle the Royal » 01 Jun 2011 20:17

Craig Tanner is still at school and has been given a 6 year deal. Supposedly one of the highest rated youngsters in the country.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 01 Jun 2011 20:50

An interesting point was made the other day about the youngsters. In previous years most of them have gone out on loan and developed there. Players like D'Ath and Obita haven't done that, is that a sign that they're ready now?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 01 Jun 2011 20:54

Y21_Royal An interesting point was made the other day about the youngsters. In previous years most of them have gone out on loan and developed there. Players like D'Ath and Obita haven't done that, is that a sign that they're ready now?

Either that or a sign that nobody wants to take them on loan.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 01 Jun 2011 21:08

Y21_Royal wrote:An interesting point was made the other day about the youngsters. In previous years most of them have gone out on loan and developed there. Players like D'Ath and Obita haven't done that, is that a sign that they're ready now?

Either that or a sign that nobody wants to take them on loan.

Probably be at Bournemouth or Brentford by the start of the season

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jun 2011 00:01

Y21_Royal An interesting point was made the other day about the youngsters. In previous years most of them have gone out on loan and developed there. Players like D'Ath and Obita haven't done that, is that a sign that they're ready now?

No.

Obita only turned 17 this season, it is very rare for us to loan out a player of his age. Traditionally we loan out players in their first whole season as a professional to Conference sides, maybe League Two.

ABB is a better player than D'Ath (moved to the reserves much earlier) and he was loaned out this season. I think there might be concerns about D'Ath's physicality, so they're protecting him, much like with Sigurdsson.

I think Taylor will lead the charge of this lot, with ABB and D'Ath playing smaller roles. Taylor isn't as talented as them, but he's still pretty gifted, and he has loads of energy. I think the likes of Obita, Tshibola and Tanner will get loan deals, or kept in the u18s for another season if there are physical concerns.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 02 Jun 2011 08:40

Looks like ABB is being released...

"Youngsters James Rowe, Danny Joyce and Abdulai Bell-Baggie are on the move, as is American midfielder Erik Opsahl. Earlier in the month it was also confirmed that Scott Davies and Julian Kelly were moving on, and they have signed for Crawley and Notts County respectively."

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jun 2011 09:14

Boyle the Royal Craig Tanner is still at school and has been given a 6 year deal. Supposedly one of the highest rated youngsters in the country.

It seems someone else should still be at school if they think 2015 is 6 years away....

Not seen anything of the lad but to get a 4 year deal at his age must mean he's got something about him. I can't see him being involved this year though, not at that young age.

As someelse said in another thread this is likely to be a big season for Jake Taylor. McDermott has had him around the squad for the last year and given him a taste of the first team, and with plenty of movement expected in the squad this year Taylor will be at the front of the queue to stake a claim.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 02 Jun 2011 09:37

I dont know why people are getting excited about our youth players - as soon as they make it into the first team, Madejski will be getting his calculator out and seeing how much he can get for them

Boyle the Royal

by Boyle the Royal » 02 Jun 2011 10:43

Hoop Blah
Boyle the Royal Craig Tanner is still at school and has been given a 6 year deal. Supposedly one of the highest rated youngsters in the country.

It seems someone else should still be at school if they think 2015 is 6 years away....

Didn't realise it was only until 2015, just got told by a friend that it was a 6 year deal. Obviously not.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jun 2011 10:59

TBM I dont know why people are getting excited about our youth players - as soon as they make it into the first team, Madejski will be getting his calculator out and seeing how much he can get for them

Which is fine really isn't it? It's part of being a club at this level.

Losing Sigurdsson was a real shame but him coming through the ranks, along with Tyson, Henderson, Ashdown, Henry and Cox, has earnt the club a very tidy sum and helped to get and keep us where we are today.

The Academy is now producing a decent supply of players into the team (don't forget that without Karacan, Church, Pearce and McCarthy we'd have needed to find those important players in the team elsewhere) and also unearthing the odd valuable asset to help make us a sustainable going concern.

If we could get another 18 months of watching a talent like Sigurdsson then I'd be very happy with the youngsters coming through.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 02 Jun 2011 11:08

i understand but the problem is.........we sell these youngsters before they hit their full potential - then all we do is go out and buy someone not as good, as their replacement.

I would like to see some actually stay and turn us into a promotion contending side (a 3-5 year plan), which can then compete in the Premiership.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jun 2011 11:20

That's pretty much the case for any club in the country though TBM.

As much as I'd much rather have a team full of Reading lads, brought up through th Academy, playing their whole careers at the club and leading us out at places like Old Trafford, the Nou Camp the San Siro it just aint going to happen like that!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 02 Jun 2011 11:23

:cry: i know but its nice to dream/hope

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 02 Jun 2011 11:36

with the new premier league rules that a certain amount of players in 25 man squads must be home grown, it will only drive up prices of academy players, but alos means we won't have them for as long.

I remember an article in the sun with Trevor Brooking about England's top 7 or 8 youngsters and Obita was one of them. We fended off a lot of premier league interest for him, and he's the one we really want to progress

There is a young lad who plays in goal, who goes to Bearwood who is meant to be amazing. There are a lot of good youngsters in the academy, they just need to kick on.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 02 Jun 2011 11:50

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 02 Jun 2011 11:59

TBM I dont know why people are getting excited about our youth players - as soon as they make it into the first team, Madejski will be getting his calculator out and seeing how much he can get for them

Yeah, good point, he should splash his cash and have all that success Bradford and Leeds did after they did that. :roll:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 02 Jun 2011 12:06

savage 4 england http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3313242/Trevor-Brooking-introduces-Englands-new-generation.html

Obita name check here for all those who can't be bothered to click the link :?