Goodbye to Ivar

fester_royal

Re: Goodbye to Ivar

by fester_royal » 02 Jun 2011 10:10

Royal Lady
soggy biscuit
Royal Lady if Mills also gets snapped up

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE let this be true!!!!!!

I just don't get this Mills h8 on here :cry:

I'm with you on this one RL, I really don't understand the abuse mills receives. He's improved vastly since he was signed, he's slowly growing into the captains roll and his stupid rash moments are reducing.. I think people forget how young he is

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Jun 2011 10:16

Royal Lady
soggy biscuit
Royal Lady if Mills also gets snapped up

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE let this be true!!!!!!

I just don't get this Mills h8 on here :cry:

Not a Mills fan but he's been brilliant over the past couple of months. If he matures and cuts out the gobbing off he will be an excellent centre-half. We definitely need to keep him.

As for Ivar he will always be remembered with fondness as part of our great 2005/06 team. I wish him all the best for the future.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 02 Jun 2011 10:19

Let's keep this thread solely about Ivar.

A magnificent part of our 106 team and a great servant to the club across the years. As said elsewhere, the way he just got on with his job without fuss is the best possible example of how a footballer should be. Brave, dedicated, a leader by example and committed to the cause every time he stepped on the pitch.

Good luck, Ivar, in everything you go on to do - how about a coaching role at the club?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 02 Jun 2011 10:24

A wonderfully calm and collected person off the pitch who was a great ambassador for the club. Just simply that rock we always needed and calmed many a player around him on the pitch.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 02 Jun 2011 10:26

Brilliant player that was always a rock at the back, a great club captain and a loyal servant to the club. Will be missed.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 02 Jun 2011 10:48

Nothing short of an RFC legend. And a really nice bloke too. 31st highest appearance record.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jun 2011 10:56

the epitome of the word legend.
the man is an icelandic god.
and possibly the only premiere league footballer to have lived/live in crowthorne.

cheers ivar.
next time i see you in tescos, i may break the habit of a lifetime and actuallly say something to you.
like thankyou, you were great, i shall miss you.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 02 Jun 2011 11:34

Played every minute of every game of our best two seasons in the clubs history. One of the best signings the club has ever made. Very sad to see him go a top pro and a great bloke. Good luck in the future Ivar.

Optimist

by Optimist » 02 Jun 2011 11:42

Very sad to see him go. Thanks for the years of service Ivar. Favourite moment: 04/05 season, home to Ipswich in the driving rain. 0-0 after 90mins, Ipswich take the lead in injury time, but Reading kick off and bomb straight down the other end, the ball gets played across the box and there's Ivar, in the CF's position, and he buries it in the bottom corner! Cue absolute pandemonium :D :D

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 02 Jun 2011 11:49

A great servant for the club, sad to see him go. Used to spot him regularly out and about in Crowthorne and would give him a shout. Good luck for the future Ivar. My favourite pic of him was his goal at QPR.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Jun 2011 11:58

Give it a few days and this will need printing off and sending t the great man via the club.

Your turn Brenders.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 02 Jun 2011 11:59

Great player.

Reading legend.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 Jun 2011 12:00

Ivar Ingimarsson in two words: consummate professional. A typical Reading legend - a completely uninspiring, non-descript signing of an up until then journeyman player, a somewhat quiet signing, and he turns out to be probably the most consistent man ever to pull on the hoops. His partnership with Sonko was truly outstanding at this level, and with two superb full backs by their sides it comes as no surprise that he formed part of the defensive bedrock of the best side the country has seen relatively. Many a fine moment from the man: his equalisers against Ipswich and Swansea, his cross for Sidwell's equaliser against Middlesbrough, his header against Manchester City, but what I remember most about the man is his four or five Bobby Moore-like challenges on the edge of the area. Time and again he pulled this off, clean as a whistle, waiting...waiting...waiti...now, snap, ball's gone. His personality also spoke volumes about the man - quiet, unassuming, never complained, just got on with his job. A pity the majority of players these days can't be like him. Not just a credit to all of his clubs but a credit to the sport of football. One of few players who will get a standing ovation at the Madejski should he return.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 02 Jun 2011 12:07

Bringing together this and the comments in praise of Bryn - is there a better nationality of footballers than the Icelanders?

They just seem to give the team everything, with no fuss and maximum commitment. And there's never any diving, drama or histrionics, or fights with other players or running off to the papers if they're dropped.

The ultimate, consummate professionals.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Jun 2011 12:12

Svlad Cjelli Bringing together this and the comments in praise of Bryn - is there a better nationality of footballers than the Icelanders?

They just seem to give the team everything, with no fuss and maximum commitment. And there's never any diving, drama or histrionics, or fights with other players or running off to the papers if they're dropped.

Hmmm - who was the bloke at Leicester? Joey Gudjonsson iirc?? he was a total tw@t.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 Jun 2011 12:22

Well for every Joey Gudjonssen you have a Brynjar Gunnarsson, Ivar Ingimarsson, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Heidar Helguson (who's loved wherever he goes), and to a much lesser degree Gunnar Thorvaldsson (but likewise when did you ever hear him complain?). Almost any Icelandic player is loved wherever he goes.

As with most things, there's an exception to the rule.
Last edited by handbags_harris on 02 Jun 2011 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 02 Jun 2011 12:28

I wish Ivar the best for the future, wherever it may take him and thank him for the great memories!

Has Ivar gone to Iceland?

Or was that his mum?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 02 Jun 2011 12:34

He was an utter great in our Championship and first-season premier team. But lets not forget that he's continued to do sterling work ever since, despite injuries making him slower on the turn. Check his winning team appearances this season, including during that amazing run. It's fitting his last key contribution was that super-cool lay off against Forest, when his presence of mind helped set up Kebe's goal.

I remember looking Ingimarsson up on Wikipedia a while back and being astonished at where he came from. Unlike all the other Icelandic footballers I know, he didn't come from the conurbations of south west Iceland but from a small village on the sparsely populated east coast. Iceland is a big country (wider than Ireland is long), so how he became a professional footballer from there I don't know. It's like a top British professional coming from the Shetland Islands. Remarkable bloke. Would be happy to see him back in some capacity one day, as he epitomises the Reading way.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 02 Jun 2011 12:40

Svlad Cjelli Bringing together this and the comments in praise of Bryn - is there a better nationality of footballers than the Icelanders?

Agreed! Ivar, Bryn, Gylfi -three of everybody's favourite Reading players and great guys by all accounts. More Icelanders please!

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 02 Jun 2011 12:58

Really sorry he's going - I'd always hoped he be kept on for some sort of role at the club, if only for sentimental reasons.

A rock of the best Reading side there's ever been.