195 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Tim Dellor says...

by RoyalBlue » 15 Jan 2012 09:09

Ian Royal
sandman I'm not wrong Ian. From listening to him a few times at the ground that he only talks about other stuff when the ball is out of play, there's an injury or the game is flat. You just don't like it because it doesn't suit your agenda and if you're not prepared to watch or hear the same evidence for your self outside of edited material then you can't prove otherwise.

I'm willing to bet I've watched more home games on Reading Player with his commentary on than you've listened to his commentary at matches.

Maybe he didn't do it in the ones you listened to. Doesn't mean he doesn't do it. And he certainly doesn't do a good job of describing what's happening on the pitch. It's impossible to tell what's going on half the time.

Maybe you should try going to the game then!

Actually, the way we've played at times, it's impossible to tell what's going on half the time when you are there!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 15 Jan 2012 09:25

Ian Royal I'm willing to bet I've watched more home games on Reading Player with his commentary on than you've listened to his commentary at matches.

That is, without doubt, the saddest thing I've ever read on HNA.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Jan 2012 09:46

Why?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 15 Jan 2012 10:50

Just is.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Jan 2012 13:37

Royal With Cheese
Ian Royal I'm willing to bet I've watched more home games on Reading Player with his commentary on than you've listened to his commentary at matches.

He is right though I prefer to interact with real life people around me at home matches rather than sit at home, listening to the commentary, sat in front of a computer, on my own with my hands down my trousers. Each to their own I suppose.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jan 2012 13:53

sandman
Royal With Cheese

He is right though I prefer to interact with real life people around me at home matches rather than sit at home, listening to the commentary, sat in front of a computer, on my own with my hands down my trousers. Each to their own I suppose.

Gracious in defeat. Well done.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 15 Jan 2012 14:01

He is right though I prefer to interact with real life people around me at home matches rather than sit at home, listening to the commentary, sat in front of a computer, on my own with my hands down my trousers. Each to their own I suppose.[/quote]

Gracious in defeat. Well done.[/quote]

Not everyone can travel to games, I believe Ian doesn't live near to Reading. I know he has mentioned before he watches most games in full online the following week, so he does get to see them.

Some people do travel lengthy distances to games, not everyone can.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 15 Jan 2012 14:08

I listen to the radio commentary at home matches - I sit a few rows if front of the BBCRB commentary position, so their eyeline is practically the same as mine. I also listen to the home commentary at away matches where available. In comparison to some of the other commentators I've heard, Tim Dellor does very well indeed. Yes, you get some exasperating nonsense, and his banter with Mick Gooding is sometimes a bit laboured, but at least he manages to describe the game accurately and adds to the matchday experience. It's clear he is a genuine fan of Reading FC, and he has his favourite players and hate figures as do most fans. Maybe he's not the sort of person I would want as a personal friend, but I imagine he'd be decent enough company to share a pint or two.

I think he does a good job.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jan 2012 14:15

Upper West Ginger I listen to the radio commentary at home matches - I sit a few rows if front of the BBCRB commentary position, so their eyeline is practically the same as mine. I also listen to the home commentary at away matches where available. In comparison to some of the other commentators I've heard, Tim Dellor does very well indeed. Yes, you get some exasperating nonsense, and his banter with Mick Gooding is sometimes a bit laboured, but at least he manages to describe the game accurately and adds to the matchday experience. It's clear he is a genuine fan of Reading FC, and he has his favourite players and hate figures as do most fans. Maybe he's not the sort of person I would want as a personal friend, but I imagine he'd be decent enough company to share a pint or two.

I'd happily have a beer with him. My idea of what makes a good commentator is not being a passionate fan though. I expect objectivity and a focus on the football. Not something that sounds like he's down the pub with a mate watching the game.

maf82

by maf82 » 15 Jan 2012 14:22

he's a nice bloke met him in sweden on rfc tour 2006

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Jan 2012 10:01

Ian Royal
Upper West Ginger I listen to the radio commentary at home matches - I sit a few rows if front of the BBCRB commentary position, so their eyeline is practically the same as mine. I also listen to the home commentary at away matches where available. In comparison to some of the other commentators I've heard, Tim Dellor does very well indeed. Yes, you get some exasperating nonsense, and his banter with Mick Gooding is sometimes a bit laboured, but at least he manages to describe the game accurately and adds to the matchday experience. It's clear he is a genuine fan of Reading FC, and he has his favourite players and hate figures as do most fans. Maybe he's not the sort of person I would want as a personal friend, but I imagine he'd be decent enough company to share a pint or two.

I'd happily have a beer with him. My idea of what makes a good commentator is not being a passionate fan though. I expect objectivity and a focus on the football. Not something that sounds like he's down the pub with a mate watching the game.

So is what you want is an exact pass by pass description of the play?

I'm guessing you also want some tactical comment on what's contributing to the flow of the game and why one team is coming out on top? Who's playing well and who's not?

The first would be dull as dishwater and not something most people would want to tune in to. The second a lot more difficult to do if you're following the first and even as and when time is found to draw conclusions and comments they, by definition, will be personal opinion which will always be tainted by preference and experience of the team and players.

Of course Dellor has favourites, show me a commentator who doesn't. Yes he gets a little more carried away than others but I think that overall he and Gooding offer a very good blend of describing the action and also setting the scene that the games played in.

I think your expectations might be a little too high.

Lydia Dustbin

by Lydia Dustbin » 16 Jan 2012 10:42

I like Tim Dellor and I think he says it exactly right.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jan 2012 11:49

Hoop Blah
Ian Royal

So is what you want is an exact pass by pass description of the play?

I'm guessing you also want some tactical comment on what's contributing to the flow of the game and why one team is coming out on top? Who's playing well and who's not?

The first would be dull as dishwater and not something most people would want to tune in to. The second a lot more difficult to do if you're following the first and even as and when time is found to draw conclusions and comments they, by definition, will be personal opinion which will always be tainted by preference and experience of the team and players.

Of course Dellor has favourites, show me a commentator who doesn't. Yes he gets a little more carried away than others but I think that overall he and Gooding offer a very good blend of describing the action and also setting the scene that the games played in.

I think your expectations might be a little too high.

What I want is something vaguely similar to the Burnley commentator who is absolutely superb.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 16 Jan 2012 12:45

I have no particular beef with Tim's commentary , apart from one thing:
"...and it's back to one-one"

He says this everytime we or the opposition score to level the game and it gets on my tits.
You can't go "back" to one-one, Tim. You can go back to all-square, but you don't get goals chalked-off.

That is all.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 18 Jan 2012 12:52

maf82 he's a nice bloke met him in sweden on rfc tour 2006

If all it takes to be a football commentator is to be a nice bloke, then where do I apply? :wink:

195 posts