Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by rhroyal » 22 Jan 2012 00:08

The scepticism on here is infuriating. I've always trusted Mr. Mad's caution and judgement. He was only ever going to sell to a suitable investor.

And if I'm wrong? It hardly matters. Look at Pompey. Spend money we don't have, go up, have a few good years, hit a bit of trouble. Have the whole football world pour out sympathy for us poor supporters who didn't put on any pressure to achieve or in any way contribute to the mess we're in. Take a points deduction, go back down, back to square 1.

So we can't really lose. If I'm right, we can invest sensibly and hit new heights. Consolidate like Stoke, expand the stadium etc. If I'm wrong, we lose nothing because football clubs can do what they want with money they don't have and get away with it.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 22 Jan 2012 00:31

Fantasy shopping list:
Pavel Yakolev
Rhodes
Maynard Or Koren
Bertrand
Kebe new contract

And being very unrealistic:
Fetfatzidis
Michael Owen :wink:
Ravel Morrison

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Jan 2012 01:22

Open minded about this. Inevitable it was going to happen with the chairman having his own business difficulties and we were always punching above our weight without significant investment into the team. It allows greater flexibility in the transfer window but ultimately until the deal is done and we know more about Thames Sporting Investments I'll reserve judgement.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 22 Jan 2012 02:40

urz13 Fantasy shopping list:
Pavel Yakolev
Rhodes
Maynard Or Koren
Bertrand
Kebe new contract

Fetfatzidis
Ravel Morrison

cant argue with your top list except the 1st player - who? defo Rhodes though - he's class - maybe we could get long back

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 22 Jan 2012 02:41

isnt this the same Russian that reputedly tried to buy Everton 5 or so years ago?

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 22 Jan 2012 02:48

Coppell's Right Footed 11
FiNeRaIn
Coppell's Right Footed 11
Right in with the new tradition im off for a vodka and a game of Command and Conquer

I didn't know you were playing again mate! :lol:

im not sure if i even have it anymore :lol: :lol:

The thoughts of Soviet Union, Russians, Overlords etc reminded me of it!

Right im of to bed, im sure this is all a dream.

Can i be the first to welcome his wife... wow.... she can sit with the fans.

she may sit your face but whilst she's riding my knob

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 22 Jan 2012 03:09

Right, lets get promoted, resign Gylfi and get into Europe and take on the world. Ok that was a joke.

In all seriousness though, we have the infrastructure at the club to be a top premier league side.

Reading is one of the biggest town's in the UK as well so that's always beneficial

Royal Bison

by Royal Bison » 22 Jan 2012 04:52

royalsteve

You've not really thought this through have you ?!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Jan 2012 07:34

tomrfcurz And looks like we'll hear names at the end of March, not before. Dont know what i make of that, guess its probably the best thing for all parties in the unlikely event it all goes tits up

As JM explains, it's part of the agreement while due diligence is being carried out and seems to make reasonable sense. We shall know more at the end of March when hopefully said investers and share holders will make themselves known to the media and most importantly talk to the supporters.

The close season could be one of the most interesting seen at the club.....

Oh and

Rhodes
Bertrand
& Sigurdsson

for me please.

Mind you that O'Kane bloke at Torquay looks useful and I don't see Owen getting many games at ManU....

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 22 Jan 2012 08:18

rfc2001 Right, lets get promoted, resign Gylfi and get into Europe and take on the world. Ok that was a joke.

In all seriousness though, we have the infrastructure at the club to be a top premier league side.

Reading is one of the biggest town's in the UK as well so that's always beneficial

Reading is THE biggest town in the UK

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 22 Jan 2012 08:18

royalsteve
urz13 Fantasy shopping list:
Pavel Yakolev
Rhodes
Maynard Or Koren
Bertrand
Kebe new contract

Fetfatzidis
Ravel Morrison

cant argue with your top list except the 1st player - who? defo Rhodes though - he's class - maybe we could get long back

Young Russian bloke who apparently has the potential to be very good.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Jan 2012 09:09

I'm happy to say I was wrong in being so cautious, in 2 years' time. In the meantime, until the deal is signed - I'll be wary - yesterday's game couldn't have done much to persuade the new investors that they're doing the right thing and won't have to spend much money to get us into the PL!

However, I would ask that we try and get Doyle on loan (he's on the bench at Wolves so they might let him back!) - with a view to signing him at end of season if Wolves don't want him and also that we make approaches to Hoffenheim now to enquire as to whether we could get Siggy back. Plus try and get Bertrand and that would do me for now. :wink:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Jan 2012 09:26

I have to admit that SJM's statement is the best thing that he has come out with in years. Well worded and simply put so that the tards can understand. Genuinely exciting and positive times ahead and I hope that it all goes to plan.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jan 2012 09:26

Royal Lady I'm happy to say I was wrong in being so cautious, in 2 years' time. In the meantime, until the deal is signed - I'll be wary - yesterday's game couldn't have done much to persuade the new investors that they're doing the right thing and won't have to spend much money to get us into the PL!

However, I would ask that we try and get Doyle on loan (he's on the bench at Wolves so they might let him back!) - with a view to signing him at end of season if Wolves don't want him and also that we make approaches to Hoffenheim now to enquire as to whether we could get Siggy back. Plus try and get Bertrand and that would do me for now. :wink:

1/3 being realistic

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 22 Jan 2012 09:36

After having read through all these pages of posts spunking themselves over the takeover, this image, posted by PremAddict way back on page 2, keeps coming to mind:

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 22 Jan 2012 10:11

muddyfeet
Maguire We all knew Sir John would sell sooner rather than later so the news is no surprise, all we can do is hope that he's selling to the right people rather than out of necessity.

As to whether they're the right people, nothing is going to answer that question except the fullness of time.

Wise words

Having lived through the Waller/Maxwell/Smee/Mad years, and the Iron curtain influence in my new home town nothing in football surprises me. The bottom line is if we move from being a selling club to a retaining one, I will be a happy and content little bunny.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 22 Jan 2012 10:16

The Surgeon of Crowthorne After having read through all these pages of posts spunking themselves over the takeover, this image, posted by PremAddict way back on page 2, keeps coming to mind:

Fixed it for you!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Jan 2012 10:23

Royal Lady I'm happy to say I was wrong in being so cautious, in 2 years' time. In the meantime, until the deal is signed - I'll be wary - yesterday's game couldn't have done much to persuade the new investors that they're doing the right thing and won't have to spend much money to get us into the PL!

To be honest, why would Doyle or Siggy want to return to us, given where they are now?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 22 Jan 2012 10:23

I do find the mentality of many Reading fans, as personified by Tim Dellor yesterday, bemusing. They do not dare to dream, happy in the comfort zone of being an underdog with no expectation and taking any scrap of success as a bonus. As McDermott said yesterday, if you keep selling your best players every season, that's only going to end up one way.

If the new investment enables us to keep our better players (two years too late sadly) and even enhance the squad, that can only be a good thing. And if it goes wrong, what's the worst that can happen, a crisis, a points deduction, relegation, it's all part of the rich soap opera of following a football club.

Right now, it's dull, and would only have got duller on our current trajectory, so get your gaze off the floor and dare to dream.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jan 2012 10:28

Royal Bison
royalsteve
Royal With Cheese
She can sit on my face if she wants.

You've not really thought this through have you ?!

Genuine huge LOLs!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5145 posts