Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by leicsRoyal » 23 Jan 2012 10:19

Platypuss
Any chance of sharing that full quote?

I'm not so sure that Doncaster are that confident he will stay.

Dean Saunders,

After the game on Saturday, Saunders said: “As far as I’m concerned Billy will be staying with us until the end of season.

“That’s a great boost for everybody at the club.

“If he can win us six or seven games between now and the end of the season it’ll be worth millions to the club.

“And if he does that he’ll get Premier League clubs looking at him.

“We’ve tried everything to make him stay,” he added.

“He’s indicated to me that he is not going to Leicester - but there’s always the chance somebody else might come knocking.

“But not a lot of clubs have millions of pounds to be throwing around at this time of year.”

robb the royal

by robb the royal » 23 Jan 2012 10:22

Bandini No doubt someone's already said this, but my concern about the deal is that Madejski's got himself in a pretty difficult situation. His 49% stake is pretty much worthless unless and until TSI decide to exercise their option. To agree that he must be desperate for the money, and if he's desperate there's a greater likelihood that the various pledges made about ensuring that the buyers are right for the club etc will have assumed less importance when deciding whether or not to sell.

Wrong...his shares aren't worthless, just because he doesn't have the majority doesn't mean he is powerless. In most companies (and according to radio berks on sat, Reading included), you need 75% of the board to back any proposal...so if Sir John doesn't want it, it won't happen.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Jan 2012 10:24

Royal Lady @ cmonurz

tomrfcurz The Daily Mail tomorrow running a 'big transfer story' on RFC

Does Billy Sharp REALLY constitute a "big transfer story" then? :|

If that comment makes me "permanently drunk" so be it.

A big story, to me, would involve a much more well known player. Still, you make your little putdowns. Shows you da man.

Sorry, should I have put a winky?

Since this announcement you’ve been popping up on the Team Board with these out of character comments like ‘is anyone going to bother coming to games now?’ or a massive shrug at the potential signing of Billy Sharp – sorry if I offended you but I thought you more sensible than that. Sharp is a very decent striker at this level, will cost money we didn’t previously have, and isn’t a player we would previously have been linked with. He is also, arguably, one of the more sought after forwards in the division. For a club that a week ago might have been pondering which Simon Church will turn up next match, this is significant transfer news.

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 23 Jan 2012 10:25

It was great to hear Kingsley Royal's contribution to the big deb8 on BBC Radio Berks this morning. He certainly made some salient points.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Jan 2012 10:25

robb the royal just because he doesn't have the majority doesn't mean he is powerless. In most companies (and according to radio berks on sat, Reading included), you need 75% of the board to back any proposal...so if Sir John doesn't want it, it won't happen.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 23 Jan 2012 10:26

Unfortunatley all I managed to catch on BBC Berks this morning was Murts, they said they'd get Madejski on as well Kingsley Royal. A little disappointed all told.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jan 2012 10:27

General B It was great to hear Kingsley Royal's contribution to the big deb8 on BBC Radio Berks this morning. He certainly made some salient points.

what he say?

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 23 Jan 2012 10:29

melonhead
General B It was great to hear Kingsley Royal's contribution to the big deb8 on BBC Radio Berks this morning. He certainly made some salient points.

what he say?

I assumer it was mainly about how happy he was to see us being bought by someone with an attractive wife.

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 23 Jan 2012 10:32

mr_number
melonhead

what he say?

I assumer it was mainly about how happy he was to see us being bought by someone with an attractive wife.

Yes. He also rather cleverly widened the debate to discuss the potential impact this would have on the potential future attractiveness of player's wives.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 23 Jan 2012 10:40

robb the royal
Bandini No doubt someone's already said this, but my concern about the deal is that Madejski's got himself in a pretty difficult situation. His 49% stake is pretty much worthless unless and until TSI decide to exercise their option. To agree that he must be desperate for the money, and if he's desperate there's a greater likelihood that the various pledges made about ensuring that the buyers are right for the club etc will have assumed less importance when deciding whether or not to sell.

Wrong...his shares aren't worthless, just because he doesn't have the majority doesn't mean he is powerless. In most companies (and according to radio berks on sat, Reading included), you need 75% of the board to back any proposal...so if Sir John doesn't want it, it won't happen.

No you don't.

And what value would you ascribe to the shares whilst they are subject to TSI's option, bearing in mind that the terms of the option would prevent sale of the shares to a third party (even if a third party could be found who wanted to buy a minority stake in the company)?

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 23 Jan 2012 10:48

Fair play to JM. Offload all the best players for big money and when there are none left with any value Offload half the club for £40m. Money in his back pocket.

The best thing bout this is getting the fans excited with the prospect of big signing taking the attention away from his personal profit making.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Jan 2012 10:49

The Master ^

Take note, Kesmond.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 23 Jan 2012 10:53

TheMaraudingDog Fair play to JM. Offload all the best players for big money and when there are none left with any value Offload half the club for £40m. Money in his back pocket.

The best thing bout this is getting the fans excited with the prospect of big signing taking the attention away from his personal profit making.

:lol:

Get the yellow and green scarfs out!

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 23 Jan 2012 10:54

TMD actually spotted at Old Trafford

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 Jan 2012 11:00

Bandini
robb the royal

No you don't.

And what value would you ascribe to the shares whilst they are subject to TSI's option, bearing in mind that the terms of the option would prevent sale of the shares to a third party (even if a third party could be found who wanted to buy a minority stake in the company)?

This is my concern, he has the "status" of chairman , but ultimately no power

I think pressures his other business/property enterprises will have forced him to sell

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 23 Jan 2012 11:15

Q: Sir John this morning we've been talking about Anton Zingarevich, we are talking about the correct guy?
SJM: Yes, of course. Anton is the founder of Thames Sports Investment Limited and that's all we want to say at the moment, just because the deal is not concluded and will not be concluded until the end of March. I think he was rather hoping that he could do the deal and then he would come out and say he was behind Thames Sports Investment Limited, but obviously the name is out now.

I have wanted to be transparent with everybody and say heads of terms have been agreed and signed, that's as far as it goes until we conclude in March. Because the deal is not done, and won't be until March, he is reluctant to say much until it's been signed and settled - I respect that. We have said TSI are founded by Anton Zingarevich, so the club is in fine fettle.

As I say heads of agreement are in place and the Football Club will remain exactly the same; same manager, same Chief Executive, same director of football, same board of directors. We'll have more people on the board no doubt, but, the whole essence of why Reading has been chosen is because of the fact it's run so well and we have a prudent fiscal policy and so on. That's what they want. I'm not suggesting for one moment that they're not going to improve things, of course they are.

Q: So they will spend some money, but just not in a ridiculous way?
SJM: They're not going to go at it like a bull in a china shop, they will respect how the club is run, they will respect the views of the people at the football club and really they're only here to improve their relationship with this country and the prestige. They recognise Reading as being an incredibly well-run club and they see it as an opportunity for them in a way to go forward and something that they can get something from and we can get something from. As Chairman, this opportunity comes along once in a lifetime.

Q: Can you tell tell us how much money's coming in?
It's not a question of how much and this is where questions start to get rather silly. Once you started banding figures around, and there hasn't been a figure by the way, it's not like that. They are keen to help Reading get into the Premier League at the earliest possible moment. If it doesn't happen this season possibly it'll happen next season, but all they're trying to do is enable the manager to have the tools at his disposal in order to do that. Not by them saying you'll have this player or that player. The manager and Director of Football will run the football side, as they always have done - very well and very cleverly. They'll just have more fiscal help.

Q: I guess it's furious activity now, saying we've got more money to spend this month than we thought - let's see who's around, available and interested?
SJM: Before we get too carried away we have to remember that these people are shrewd people. They're not just going to throw money at it. We're going to carry on the same sort of ethos that we always have done, they may have the opportunity of spending money but that doesn't mean they're going to be reckless and start throwing money around.

Indeed there is a warning to other clubs - if they think now Reading has got a benefactor that's just going to throw money around like a drunken sailor then forget it. We're not, you've got to buy intelligently, wisely and so on. I think people have to realise that. The whole essence of the club is not going to change.

Q: Is part of why Anton wants Reading because of his local connections, we've read he was educated around here, or is it just a business decision?
SJM: I think everything plays its part. At the moment Anton just wants to make sure that the deal is concluded before he says anything and I understand that totally.

Q: You'll like the fact that a lot of people have been saying on the air this morning 'we trust in John Madejski, he wouldn't do wrong by the club at this stage'.
SJM: I'm glad they say that because that's absolutely spot on. People who know me, and you know me, know what I've been saying. I always said if we can find someone who can take the club forward in the right way then obviously we're interested - and you couldn't do better than this. They don't want to start meddling with the club, they want to carry on in the same way as we are - all it means is that we'll have some help. God almighty don't we need it - won't that be fantastic? For the fans, for me, for everyone that works for the football club. They've all done a fantastic job and now we're going to be able to do an even better job. It's the best news I've had.

Now I'm sharing the burden, but many a slip between cup and lip - the point is that we haven't even concluded the deal yet, that's why I'm very hesitant to say much more because if it didn't come off we'd be left with egg on our faces.

Q: Is there a part of you that's a little bit sad that this bit of Reading's history, from your taking over in 1990 until now, the most successful period in the club's history is kind of coming to an end?
SJM: No, it's going to get bigger and better, it's not as if I'm disappearing off the scene. They want me to stay on as Chairman for as long as I possibly can. That bodes well, and even when I step down as Chairman they want me to become lifetime president so I don't think there is any sort of material change. I'm just very pleased to be able to get people that are willing to understand the ethos of the club and move forward with it exactly how it is. Giving us the stability that Reading desperately needs.

Q: What happens next?
SJM: There'll hopefully be some strengthening of the squad between now and the end of the month, and the rest will be due diligence.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 23 Jan 2012 11:19

^^^^^^
Very happy with that

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jan 2012 11:21

TheMaraudingDog Fair play to JM. Offload all the best players for big money and when there are none left with any value Offload half the club for £40m. Money in his back pocket.

i realise you is fishin, and i am your fish but
40 million=the money he has put into the club isnt it.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 23 Jan 2012 11:22

Although Reading between the lines, Mcdermott has until the end of next season to get us promoted

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jan 2012 11:26

if you read stuff that isnt there or even implied between the lines. yes.

5145 posts