Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by TheLawnMowerMan » 03 Jun 2012 20:08

It surprises me how many people think we are about to splash the cash like a drunken sailor all of a sudden.
My reliable sources lead me to believe that the club will be run in the same way as before and that the most important thing is that any player we sign will be the right fit and that they want to come and play for Reading.

We know that the stories that come out into the open are nearly always leaked by the other clubs (which is why the Mariappa one sounds like it has legs, as does the Sanchez one).
There's a lot of BS being spread around on this thread which belongs on UG&R.

BTW - I hear that Tevez is going to make his mind up after his holiday and after he's found out if LSQ2 is any good. I know that because somebody posted it on Twatter. I also saw some real ugly bloke in Morrison's who wasn't speaking English so I think that could have been him.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 03 Jun 2012 20:26

paultheroyal
bigmike Things still seem to be chugging along nicely with the deals that I know of even the long shots are coming in to play

Long was mine and Big Foots call so naff off! :wink:

Stick to your Gylfi prediction which is sinking by the hour!!!

I think you will find that my statement was that there would be a significant signing that will cause this message board to go into meltdown. I didn't name any names as the previous day I pissed my source of by telling you all when the takeover would be completed and that there was a deal being worked on for Gylfi. I won't confirm or deny that it is Long... I can confirm that it's not Drogba

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 03 Jun 2012 20:39

bigmike I can confirm that it's not Drogba

I can confirm that as well :roll:

BTW - if you are worried about the board going into meltdown why don't you help Graham out by subscribing?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 03 Jun 2012 21:18

For me making offers to big name players and not signing them does not equal intent.

Signing big time players does equal intent.

Were/are we being overly optimisitc in whom we will sign? Prolly. Do we need to sign Premier League quality talent is we expect to stay more than one season? Prolly. And it is gonna take some real and serious money to do that. The other way is the "Blackpool Way" as described in an article in The Guardian, which is make it to the Premier League, don't invest the required money in talent to strengthen the team, pocket the money, go back down but be on sound financial footing.

Is that who all those whom are wishing we don't spend the money wish we would emulate? We just won what is called "The £100M prize", plus we now have new owners who have much more money available to them and it seems people still want us to be run the same SJM cloth cutting ways of the past. Mainly, it seems, because people are afraid that we might recklessly overspend and implode if we try to do what is necessary to stay in the Premier League.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 03 Jun 2012 21:29

People can wish all they want - it isn't HNA? posters who call the shots.

FWIW - I hope we smash our transfer record, and I expect it as well. However I'm not sure we are going to be signing any big time Charlie's quite yet.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 03 Jun 2012 21:40

We won't sign Defoe, Long or Gylfi and I'd to put money on it. I've been on a high all week since the takeover and believed it could happen when all the rumours were flying around on Thursday/Friday but I'm drifting back to the real world now.

We're favourites for relegation amongst bookmakers.
The players mentioned above could walk into most teams in the PL.
We've alienated 2/3 of them by forcing them out the club to balance the books.
We're little Reading.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Jun 2012 21:48

bigmike
paultheroyal
bigmike Things still seem to be chugging along nicely with the deals that I know of even the long shots are coming in to play

Long was mine and Big Foots call so naff off! :wink:

Stick to your Gylfi prediction which is sinking by the hour!!!

I think you will find that my statement was that there would be a significant signing that will cause this message board to go into meltdown. I didn't name any names as the previous day I pissed my source of by telling you all when the takeover would be completed and that there was a deal being worked on for Gylfi. I won't confirm or deny that it is Long... I can confirm that it's not Drogba

Of course there will be a significant signing, got 15 million to spend! You are stating the bleeding obvious by saying we have a big name signing and basically you have been on a long old wind up! Unfortunately for you no decision is forthcoming to say you were right!

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 03 Jun 2012 22:02

paultheroyal

Long was mine and Big Foots call so naff off!

Paul, TheWearing has stolen your login m8.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Jun 2012 22:07

Simon's Church
paultheroyal

Long was mine and Big Foots call so naff off!

Paul, TheWearing has stolen your login m8.

Ta

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Jun 2012 22:08

How have we alienated either Gylfi or Shane?

There is a picture in the Promotion book of Shane at training after he left and he's been to games several times since he left. Gylfi has been back several times also most noticeably for the play-off semi against Cardiff and his family are still around the club.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 03 Jun 2012 22:35

sandman How have we alienated either Gylfi or Shane?

There is a picture in the Promotion book of Shane at training after he left and he's been to games several times since he left. Gylfi has been back several times also most noticeably for the play-off semi against Cardiff and his family are still around the club.

As you say, they clearly love the club as they keep coming back. If I was happily playing for the club I love, whilst being close to my family and putting down roots, only to be shipped out one day to a country I've never lived in before or worse, up north, I'd feel some resentment towards the club.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jun 2012 23:05

blueroyals

As you say, they clearly love the club as they keep coming back. If I was happily playing for the club I love, whilst being close to my family and putting down roots, only to be shipped out one day to a country I've never lived in before or worse, up north, I'd feel some resentment towards the club.

Yeah, if I remember correctly Hammond forced both players to leave at gunpoint. There was no desire from either of them to prove themselves in one of the best leagues in the world or earn two or three times what we could offer them.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 03 Jun 2012 23:42

SCIAG
blueroyals

Yeah, if I remember correctly Hammond forced both players to leave at gunpoint. There was no desire from either of them to prove themselves in one of the best leagues in the world or earn two or three times what we could offer them.

Either way, they're not coming back.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 03 Jun 2012 23:59

^ Agreed. Long had a decent first season and will want to kick on, not sure he could instantly make the transition back to us. Gylfi, IMO we're definitely bottom of the three confirmed contenders.

Unless we can buy players into the TSI long-term plan that we're more than just a relegation candidate, the level of signing could be lower than what's currently being predicted. It's good to see us making bids/enquiries for these players but only a few will come off.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 04 Jun 2012 00:17

blueroyals We won't sign Defoe, Long or Gylfi and I'd to put money on it. I've been on a high all week since the takeover and believed it could happen when all the rumours were flying around on Thursday/Friday but I'm drifting back to the real world now.

We're little Reading.

We're not any more. More like Readingrad on the Thames. And I think this fact scares many people who want us to remain "Little Reading".

We will be signing players of note. We will prolly even get back a former ex-player. Whom? I don't know but it'll prolly be one of the following three listed in order probability of return; Long, Sigurdsson or Bertrand. We will also sign a player or two whom in the past we would have never dare dreamt of getting. We won't be "splashing the cash" like we're Manchester City or Chelsea but we will be spending like a proper Premier League club should.

Sorry to hear you came down off your high. I was never on a high, or dreaming, when discussing the potential players we would/could and will in some cases get. I am looking at this rationally and based on reality. This is a new era, with new owners, you can throw what has happened in the past with the club right out of the window. A £15M transfer budget (just for starters could go higher I imagine if need be and opportunity presents itself), of which less than £1M has already been spent, tells me not to live in the past.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Jun 2012 00:27

blueroyals

But the fact they keep coming back shows that they don't hold any malice towards the club.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 04 Jun 2012 01:12

Libertine
blueroyals We won't sign Defoe, Long or Gylfi and I'd to put money on it. I've been on a high all week since the takeover and believed it could happen when all the rumours were flying around on Thursday/Friday but I'm drifting back to the real world now.

We're little Reading.

We're not any more. More like Readingrad on the Thames. And I think this fact scares many people who want us to remain "Little Reading".

We will be signing players of note. We will prolly even get back a former ex-player. Whom? I don't know but it'll prolly be one of the following three listed in order probability of return; Long, Sigurdsson or Bertrand. We will also sign a player or two whom in the past we would have never dare dreamt of getting. We won't be "splashing the cash" like we're Manchester City or Chelsea but we will be spending like a proper Premier League club should.

Sorry to hear you came down off your high. I was never on a high, or dreaming, when discussing the potential players we would/could and will in some cases get. I am looking at this rationally and based on reality. This is a new era, with new owners, you can throw what has happened in the past with the club right out of the window. A £15M transfer budget (just for starters could go higher I imagine if need be and opportunity presents itself), of which less than £1M has already been spent, tells me not to live in the past.

The problem is we might get that one "dream" signing but if we don't do well this year, will they want to jump ship? What if Long/Gylfi doesn't come off straight away when they come back? I think we need 3 or 4 top calibre signings, ones that make the other teams in the league take notice. It's too early to just throw bundles of cash at players and clubs, it needs to be done progressively. And I'm sure it will be.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 04 Jun 2012 01:40

Pardon my ignorance but where has talk of a 15m budget come from?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 04 Jun 2012 08:23

M-U-R-T-Y Pardon my ignorance but where has talk of a 15m budget come from?

Again, the media

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Jun 2012 09:16

This thread continues to dish the LOLz I see, bluesroyal is a welcome addition to the mongfest

5145 posts