If the Russians don't bring success......

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: If the Russians don't bring success......

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Jan 2012 12:10

skipper It's not the Reading way. I would be very surprised if we spend more than 1/4 of that before the seasons out.

I know for a fact we won't be spending big this Jan. The summer is where a few eyebrows will most definitely be raised.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 23 Jan 2012 12:13

FiNeRaIn
skipper It's not the Reading way. I would be very surprised if we spend more than 1/4 of that before the seasons out.

I know for a fact we won't be spending big this Jan. The summer is where a few eyebrows will most definitely be raised.

What if *any* of our January purchases make the difference and we get promoted this year - do the summer purchases change, dependent on the league we are in?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Jan 2012 12:17

FiNeRaIn

Anyone can say that!! :lol: How do we know who we can afford in the Summer? :|

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2012 12:26

skipper
FiNeRaIn

What if *any* of our January purchases make the difference and we get promoted this year - do the summer purchases change, dependent on the league we are in?

Yeah, we won't be spending anything if we get promoted! :wink:

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 23 Jan 2012 12:35

No Fixed Abode I would expect Reading fans to still attend games if the Russians don't bring success. What I expect is Reading fans to NOT attend game if they DO bring success.

Remember how much you hate teams who buy success......................

I know this was meant to be an attempted wind up rather than a serious post deserving of a response but the main bonus of the fresh investment won't be to buy success, it will be the ability to simply keep hold of our best players. If we had been able to do that these last two seasons we'd already have achieved 'success' and been promoted, imagine that playoff final team last year with Sigurdsson and Bertrand added in, we would have achieved automatic promotion.

We are still yet to replace Sigurdsson, we just changed our system instead and Le Fondre hasn't done enough to be considered a replacement for Long, so if we sign a goalscoring striker or attacking midfielder this window then we'll be closer to where we should have been. Its just going to be refreshing to have a situation where we can take decisions in future based on footballing reasons rather than business reasons.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Jan 2012 12:59

No Fixed Abode I would expect Reading fans to still attend games if the Russians don't bring success. What I expect is Reading fans to NOT attend game if they DO bring success.

Desperate.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Jan 2012 13:50

Extended-Phenotype

DespeROFLate.

Corrected so his under developed brain can undertand.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Buying the league

by Tredder » 23 Jan 2012 14:20

Not fishing, just a curious question.

Seeing as quite a few people suggested that we bought our promotion to the Premiership, despite Warnock not spending that much money, and that it wasn't the right way to get promoted.

What are your thoughts, should you now go and buy your way to the premiership?

Would it be hollow or would you just be happy to be back in the premiership at any cost?

One last question, should the new owners want their own man in, and that person was Warnock, would you all put together a hobnob petition to over rule the decision, or would you actually welcome him as he has the credentials to get you up?

Spirit of Elm Park

Re: Buying the league

by Spirit of Elm Park » 23 Jan 2012 14:22

If Tim Dellor called him 'Colin' in every post match interview, i'd live with it.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Jan 2012 14:23

Tredder Not fishing, just a curious question.

...should the new owners want their own man in, and that person was Warnock, would you all put together a hobnob petition to over rule the decision, or would you actually welcome him as he has the credentials to get you up?

:lol:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 23 Jan 2012 14:24

I wouldn't want Colin personally, but it wouldn't be enough to stop me attending games or anything like that.

If he does a good job that would be good enough for me regardless of my feelings for the guy.

*no homo*

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 23 Jan 2012 14:25

I know the level of hostility towards him on here, so a warranted style of question.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 23 Jan 2012 14:25

I don't recall many claiming you bought the league. You didn't spend much did you? I expected you to spend a heck of a lot more than you did.

Not bothered what we spend as long as the football is good and we head in the right direction. We aren't ever going to be another Chelsea or Man City but I can live with spending big to get to the Premiership and then being a bit more ambitious than we were the last time to stay there.

If we had to lose McDermott yes, I'd love Warnock here, but only to get us in the Premiership. He seems a bit limited when he gets there.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jan 2012 14:27

personally id be more than happy in the future if warnock came in. hes a great manager at this level.
and the type of bloke id imagine the fans of the team he manages will love to bits, even if everyone else hates him

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 23 Jan 2012 14:30

Warnock is a Cnut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Jan 2012 14:31

I'd literally shake with anger if Colin was ever our manager. He's an despicable excuse for a human being and not even that good a manager if you remember not to ignore the relegations

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Jan 2012 14:33

Obviously if our new overlords feel that Colin is the right man for the job we've got bigger problems than a smarmy hateful Germaine greer lookalike patrolling our technical area

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Jan 2012 14:34

I like him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2012 14:34

I thought the animosity for QPR was more to do with fielding an ineligible player and getting away with it than them buying the league.

Surely Warnock's mainly just a pantomime villain... like Robbie Savage... he's good at his job, even if he can be an unpleasant git. Still doesn't matter as we won't be buying the league (a la Leicester) or dumping McDermott any time soon.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 23 Jan 2012 14:36

All-purpose fishing thread. Good decision.