Avoid The Play Offs

187 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Avoid The Play Offs

by melonhead » 15 Feb 2012 11:51

even though we got stuffed, afterwards i felt like someone had ripped out my heart, couldnt watch the Sky advert which showed fed picking the ball out of his net, and im still not over it..........those minutes in the second half, where we were all over them, scored two and could have had more were among the most joyful and exciting memories of the last 5 years.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 15 Feb 2012 12:00

melonhead those minutes in the second half, where we were all over them, scored two and could have had more were among the most joyful and exciting memories of the last 5 years.

not for me, soon as we hit the post I knew it was over, then griffin gave them a free goal with a ludicrous penalty and it was goodnight. Hated that day out, never going again. Feared the worst all through the build up...knew we'd lose had the stupidity to have a glimmer of hope and that's why I was once again gutted when the inevitable defeat came. Reading football club fail at play-offs, I doubt many other clubs are as horrible as we are at them.

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 15 Feb 2012 12:05

I could quote probability of the random chance that is the play offs and point out that you are only meant to win one in four play off campaigns.

My problem is that we keep getting to the final and then going in to meltdown and therein lies the inbuilt trauma.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Feb 2012 12:08

Percy's Rocket I could quote probability of the random chance that is the play offs and point out that you are only meant to win one in four play off campaigns.

You could do but even snowball would LOL

I had a cracking day out at the playoff final last year, at least we don't have to go to Wales any more

Hemenbruff Royal
Location: North Reading. Actually very north Reading. Okay, Yorkshire.

by Hemenbruff Royal » 15 Feb 2012 12:09

There is no need to fret about a play-off final this year. Our end of season destiny is to beat Birmingham in the last game which will see us overtake them and nick second spot.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 15 Feb 2012 12:10

TBM All those that say "its a cracking day out though" can fcuk off.......if i wanted a "cracking day out" i would spend the £100+ somewhere other than Wembley

Football = A day out.

Call me crazy but getting lashed up all day long in London with thousads of others is a little bit more fun than finishing 7th

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 15 Feb 2012 12:10

If we make the play-offs I personally guarantee you all this will be the year we win them. I'll make sure of it.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 15 Feb 2012 12:11

Simon's Church If we make the play-offs I personally guarantee you all this will be the year we win them. I'll make sure of it.

Phanx

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 15 Feb 2012 12:13

No worries

And lol at anyone preferring 7th to the play-offs

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 15 Feb 2012 12:24

who are ya?
TBM All those that say "its a cracking day out though" can fcuk off.......if i wanted a "cracking day out" i would spend the £100+ somewhere other than Wembley

Football = A day out.

Call me crazy but getting lashed up all day long in London with thousads of others is a little bit more fun than finishing 7th

Lashed up all day in London is fun. Not when you have to make the hike to Wembley with thousands of other fleece wearing divvy's though. Would rather just go for a good sesh without football getting in the way.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 15 Feb 2012 12:28

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Feb 2012 12:34

Simon's Church And lol at anyone preferring 7th to the play-offs

My point is i would rather we miss out by finishing 7th, than getting to the play-offs and losing again - either way we'll be in the Championship next season

Hula-hoop

by Hula-hoop » 15 Feb 2012 12:35

who are ya?

Football = A day out.

plus all the spotteds to notch up

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 15 Feb 2012 12:37

who are ya?

Football = A day out.

Nope, I'm with TBM here. Going on a lash up for any other away game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> going on a lash up and then Wembley for the play-off final.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 15 Feb 2012 12:38

Ian Royal
melonhead whats wrong with you

football is all about the drama, and the euphoric ups and savage downs.its the rollercoatser of emotions that makes it so oxf*rd great
if it goes wrong, embrace the misery, you will possibly not feel emotion like it for years.

imo winning a play off>>>>>>>>>losing a playoff>>>>>>>>>not being good enough to make the playoffs

1st>>>>> winning a play off >>> 2nd >>>> losing a play off final >>>> losing a play off >>>>>>>>>> 7th or below.

Despite never having experienced it, I think my preference would be:
Winning a play off>>1st>>>2nd>>>>>>>>losing a playoff final>>>>>>>>>>>>>losing a play off>>7th or below.

No, hang on:
Getting promoted on last day of season>>winning a play off>>>etc.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 Feb 2012 12:48

Makes for hard readin', this.

Dunno about you, but I go to games to support the team, cheer on the lads and share what happens, not just to see us get promoted.

I don't think I've ever felt "we aren't going to win, so why bother showing up", even if sometimes the team obviously do...

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 15 Feb 2012 13:03

Extended-Phenotype Makes for hard readin', this.

Dunno about you, but I go to games to support the team, cheer on the lads and share what happens, not just to see us get promoted.

I don't think I've ever felt "we aren't going to win, so why bother showing up", even if sometimes the team obviously do...

^ This,

Anyone who doesn't should go and support Chelsea

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 15 Feb 2012 13:14

TBM
Simon's Church And lol at anyone preferring 7th to the play-offs

My point is i would rather we miss out by finishing 7th, than getting to the play-offs and losing again - either way we'll be in the Championship next season

I agree with this.

If we were going to stay in the division I would much rather finish 7th. Losing a play-off final is horrid. But I agree with brendy, from the beginning of the 2nd half to when we hit the post were some of the best minutes of football I have witnessed watching Reading for the last 14 years.

But if we did finish in the play-offs. Of course I would go, you can't miss out on days like them. I would regret it for the rest of my life if they got there, I didn't go and they won.

Same reason I went to Man City in the cup last year. If we had won I couldn't bare not being there.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 15 Feb 2012 13:20

Whore Jackie
who are ya?

Football = A day out.

Nope, I'm with TBM here. Going on a lash up for any other away game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> going on a lash up and then Wembley for the play-off final.

'greed, getting tanked up at away matches makes it all worth while following a football team, but, being at that 2nd leg in Cardiff was amazing and for the most part, the day at Wembley was a gr8 crack.

Alot of teams hardly ever get occassions like that, so just enjoy them.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Feb 2012 13:33

who are ya? Who the phuck wouldn't want another cracking day out in the play-offs :?:

If we lose again, move on and have another season in a division I like anyway. Sorted

What sort of fan are you?

Those play-off defeats hurt alot. No point going through it all over again.

They'd probably win if I didn't go anyway. :wink:

187 posts