Worst Reading Player

176 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Worst Reading Player

by Hendo » 05 May 2020 15:12

karbota Has anybody mentioned Sean Goater, I know it was towards the end of his career but woeful at Reading..

12 goals in 43 games? Hardly woeful.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 05 May 2020 15:21

Goater would have been quality if Pardew had stayed, the tactics at the start of the season were built around him and he was banging in the goals early on.

Andy Hughes almost hit double figures in 02/03, so he should be exempt.

Karacan is a truly laughable suggestion.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 05 May 2020 15:46

I know his name has already come up but surely Hope Akpan has to win this hands down. Not once do I ever remember him kicking the ball in the direction he intended to. Truly woeful. Whatever was Coppell thinking?

Honorable mention to Liam Rosenior. He might have got away with his totally limited style of play in Div 4 in 1974, but he was not a patch on his inflated ego.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 May 2020 15:53

grey_squirrel I know his name has already come up but surely Hope Akpan has to win this hands down. Not once do I ever remember him kicking the ball in the direction he intended to. Truly woeful. Whatever was Coppell thinking?

Honorable mention to Liam Rosenior. He might have got away with his totally limited style of play in Div 4 in 1974, but he was not a patch on his inflated ego.

McDermott signed Akpan in the same window as Carrico and Blackman

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 May 2020 15:55

Mid Sussex Royal
grey_squirrel I know his name has already come up but surely Hope Akpan has to win this hands down. Not once do I ever remember him kicking the ball in the direction he intended to. Truly woeful. Whatever was Coppell thinking?

McDermott signed Akpan in the same window as Carrico and Blackman

Akpan was fine, not a Premiership player at all,, but would probably have done a decent enough job for us in The Championship had he been with us for a couple of seasons.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 May 2020 16:08

Thought Rosenior looked good under Coppell and he had a good career after Rodgers released him.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 05 May 2020 16:40

SCIAG

Thought Rosenior looked good under Coppell and he had a good career after Rodgers released him.

Not only did Rosenior look good, saying he had an ego couldn't be further from the truth - a thoroughly humble and likeable chap.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 May 2020 17:26

This thread is titled worst Reading player, not average, Reading players

Players like Andy Hughes, the goat etc cant possibly be in the worst category.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 May 2020 19:05

Selective memories

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 May 2020 19:12

My shout is Marcus Williams. How many games did he play? Or if it's not too harsh on a 19 year old, Joao Virginia.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 05 May 2020 19:46

URZZZZZZZZ
SCIAG

Not only did Rosenior look good, saying he had an ego couldn't be further from the truth - a thoroughly humble and likeable chap.

PMSL

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 May 2020 22:07

AthleticoSpizz Selective memories

Yeass

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 05 May 2020 23:00

If you suggested anyone other than Malcolm Swain then you are too young to have seen him "play"

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 05 May 2020 23:21

One87One Hughes played with a lot of heart and would run all day, but was bang bang average. He was a modern day Karacan.

Karacan was a brilliant player - energetic, great tackler, scored a few. I remember him saying on a podcast that Adkins told him we would’ve gone up in 13/14 if he’d stayed injury-free. He started the season really well & would’ve been better than Guthrie. I’m stunned Jem’s been mentioned in this thread at all!

Jay Tabb from that era was far worse - an embarrassment when we were in the Prem. Legs of sand I called him, as he played alongside Legs of Wood

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 05 May 2020 23:37

SouthDownsRoyal This thread is titled worst Reading player, not average, Reading players

Players like Andy Hughes, the goat etc cant possibly be in the worst category.
j

In fact, Andy Hughes should be in the Gave it All for the Club and category. He was a player that never gave up, kept trying, even when the cause seemed lost. Chipped in with some very important goals at crucial times too. For a defender, he could skin a few, but unfortunately his attempts at crossing never really paid off.
Sadly he was a target for the Braindead's that didn’t really understand football, despite the fact that he earned his wages each week.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 06 May 2020 10:05

Drenthe
Every other player we have had has managed to last more than ten minutes without being knackered.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 May 2020 14:46

I noticed a couple of mentions for JVDB......How the hell do people get to that conclusion. He was one of the main reasons we finished third. I liked him a lot......Always committed and worked hard. Gave us a bit of bite at the back and although I preferred him as a DMF he wasn't as bad at CB as people made out. Seemed to like his cards a bit though....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 May 2020 14:53

Hendo
karbota Has anybody mentioned Sean Goater, I know it was towards the end of his career but woeful at Reading..

Yeah but he's not of the caucasian persuasion so in Karbota's vile little mind he was shit.

One87One

by One87One » 06 May 2020 17:08

Notts Royal
One87One Hughes played with a lot of heart and would run all day, but was bang bang average. He was a modern day Karacan.

Karacan was a brilliant player - energetic, great tackler, scored a few. I remember him saying on a podcast that Adkins told him we would’ve gone up in 13/14 if he’d stayed injury-free. He started the season really well & would’ve been better than Guthrie. I’m stunned Jem’s been mentioned in this thread at all!

Jay Tabb from that era was far worse - an embarrassment when we were in the Prem. Legs of sand I called him, as he played alongside Legs of Wood

You sure? Where's he now...? He had third division written all over him. A competent back up at this level only. Now at the level he's better equipped at.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 06 May 2020 17:34

sandman
Hendo

Yeah but he's not of the caucasian persuasion so in Karbota's vile little mind he was shit.

So easy in your immature fascist mind to play the race card, never said he was shit, look at my other posts re Keith Scott!.

176 posts