We are destined to become a great club

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

We are destined to become a great club

by SpaceCruiser » 20 Apr 2012 08:14

Well, I woke up this morning from a nice dream anyway!

In 1988, when we won the Simod Cup at Wembley, our ambition burned brightly. Then we were relegated!!! So started our new ten year cycles for the next three decades. Relegations occurred in 1988, 1998 and 2008. Looking ahead today, would our next relegation occur in 2018? Considering that now, in 2012, we have just been promoted to the Premier League, does this mean that we will spend the next six years in the Premier League?

I say, why not? Consider that the first iteration we were in the third tier for 6 years and then 4 years in the second tier and flip that over to 4 years in the second tier and 6 years in the top tier. A perfect symmetry. Would have been more symmetrical if the years between 1998 and 2008 had been 4 years in third tier, 2 years in second tier and 4 years in the top tier. But hey, I'd take the 4-4-2! It looks like growing pains here. We're growing into a great club, I say. ;)

Ok, you say, 6 years in the Premier League, what about beyond that? Do we go back to being an ordinary club? I was thinking about that, we were in the second tier between 1986 and 1988, so I reasoned that we would spend two years in the Football League Championship after our possible relegation in 2018 and return to the Premier League. And beyond that? That was the point when I started to chuckle to myself. Because before 1986, we were mostly in the third tier with a couple of visits to the basement. What's above the Premier League? Europe. We're oxf*rd going to Europe!!! :lol:

I was also thinking about the years between 1998 and 2008, it doesn't look symmetrical. What's so different? We moved into the Madejski Stadium, I think. Let's just say, before 1998, we were like a little and unloved ugly caterpillar and after that we transformed into a growing beautiful butterfly that got bigger and bigger and has become loved by everybody.....

Eaststandman

Re: We are destined to become a great club

by Eaststandman » 20 Apr 2012 08:23

How long do butterflies live?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 08:24

You do realise, Spacey, that if we get into Europe we may play a French team? Would defeat to (say) Lyon provoke a Schardsesque reaction from you?
Last edited by Hampshire Royal on 20 Apr 2012 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 20 Apr 2012 08:25

I don't support a butterfly...

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 20 Apr 2012 08:26

Bloody hell spaceman isn't it a bit early to be on the meths?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 20 Apr 2012 08:27

Tokyo Sex Whale I'm all for celebration and jubilation but some of the utter shi*e posted in the past few days has been astonishing.

Tokyo, meet Spacey

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 20 Apr 2012 08:29

Hampshire Royal You do realise, Spacey, that if we get into Europe we may play a French team? Would defeat to (say) Lyon provoke a Schardsesque reaction from you?

We once beat Lyon. I don't suppose you remember that.

Eaststandman, I don't know nor do I care.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 20 Apr 2012 08:30

What about the other years Spacey? Are there any symmetrical outputs from, say, our FA Cup Semi-Final season of 1926/27?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 08:33

SpaceCruiser
Hampshire Royal You do realise, Spacey, that if we get into Europe we may play a French team? Would defeat to (say) Lyon provoke a Schardsesque reaction from you?

We once beat Lyon. I don't suppose you remember that.

Eaststandman, I don't know nor do I care.

Oh yes, wasn't that in that mickey-mouse pre-season tournement before the second Prem season?

OK, what about Marseilles then?

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 20 Apr 2012 08:35

Enjoyed reading that - its a serious point. The cycle is onwards and upwards.

Either that or its been an astonishing decade, which will be our greatest ever before we return to our natural level in the bottom two divisions!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 20 Apr 2012 08:36

Royal With Cheese What about the other years Spacey? Are there any symmetrical outputs from, say, our FA Cup Semi-Final season of 1926/27?

It would require some research and frankly, this morning, I can't be arsed to do any. Got to get ready to go to Reading later.

Signing out NOW. L8rs peeps!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 20 Apr 2012 08:37

Z175 Enjoyed reading that - its a serious point. The cycle is onwards and upwards.

Either that or its been an astonishing decade, which will be our greatest ever before we return to our natural level in the bottom two divisions!

Why, thanks, you're the first to show appreciation! 8)

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 20 Apr 2012 08:37

SpaceCruiser
Royal With Cheese What about the other years Spacey? Are there any symmetrical outputs from, say, our FA Cup Semi-Final season of 1926/27?

It would require some research and frankly, this morning, I can't be arsed to do any. Got to get ready to go to Reading later.

Signing out NOW. L8rs peeps!

I suggest you take you time over this one my friend.

Bumblebee

by Bumblebee » 20 Apr 2012 09:19

1988 to 2008 is two decades

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Apr 2012 09:22

This thread, wtf?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 20 Apr 2012 09:39

Bumblebee 1988 to 2008 is two decades

And your point is.....? We are 4 years into the third decade. :roll:

Anyway, to all those making snide comments (and anyone else who wishes to add some), why don't you put your mouth on the line? I was making a prediction that we would be in the Premier League for 6 years, how long do you think we'll be there for? A couple of my non-RFC FB friends think we'll only be there for one year, but I of course think otherwise. Nevertheless, I didn't reply to them, instead thinking that I'll let RFC do the talking!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 20 Apr 2012 09:47

I thought a few years ago that we could well become a yo-yo club, doing a West Brom between the top 2 divisions, before finally settling in the top flight for a longish period; I suspect that we are still in the bouncing phase at the moment, although IF the TSI thing is genuine, and not some sort of Pompeyesque scam, then we might well be in for a period of occupation in the Premier League.

Thats not to say the next couple of season will be a walk in the park - far from it; and as fans, we have to get used to the fact that we will lose mpre games than we have been used to losing for a couple of seasons, but thats inevitable.

What I fear are over-inflated expectations both off and on the pitch; fans expecting us to be pushing for a top 6 or 7 spot immediately, players expecting to be paid 100K a week, that sort of thing. If we can all keep our feet on the ground, then things could work out ok.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 20 Apr 2012 10:07

Mr Angry I thought a few years ago that we could well become a yo-yo club, doing a West Brom between the top 2 divisions, before finally settling in the top flight for a longish period; I suspect that we are still in the bouncing phase at the moment, although IF the TSI thing is genuine, and not some sort of Pompeyesque scam, then we might well be in for a period of occupation in the Premier League.

Thats not to say the next couple of season will be a walk in the park - far from it; and as fans, we have to get used to the fact that we will lose mpre games than we have been used to losing for a couple of seasons, but thats inevitable.

What I fear are over-inflated expectations both off and on the pitch; fans expecting us to be pushing for a top 6 or 7 spot immediately, players expecting to be paid 100K a week, that sort of thing. If we can all keep our feet on the ground, then things could work out ok.

A good post, Mr A, I welcome your comments wholeheartedly.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 20 Apr 2012 10:53

Maguire This thread, wtf?

Precisely!

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1