Matthew Connoly

royalsroyalsroyals92

Matthew Connoly

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 20 Apr 2012 23:45

Do we have some form of option or deal in place for him, as it is unusual that a loan player stays at the loan club when they are hit with such a long term injury. Have we got him for next year maybe?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Matthew Connoly

by Rex » 20 Apr 2012 23:56

He has one year left on his existing contract and has indicated he wants to stay with Reading. He has stated he needs to talk to Mark Hughes to see what his parent club intend to do with him. Beyond that - who knows.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 21 Apr 2012 07:57

Is he a really PL quality right back?

A step up from Cummings and Griffin maybe so, but I wouldn't say he's neccessarily the best option out there.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Apr 2012 07:59

Read article that he wants to talk through his options with Hughes/McDermott - so he sounds keen.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Apr 2012 09:16

royalsroyalsroyals92 Do we have some form of option or deal in place for him, as it is unusual that a loan player stays at the loan club when they are hit with such a long term injury. Have we got him for next year maybe?

We asked QPR when we loaned him about the possibility of signing him at the end of the loan and they said no, but I understand we plan to make another approach. He's enjoyed his time here and would be very happy to stay, so it's only a matter of is he available and how much.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 21 Apr 2012 09:18

Why do we want to sign him?

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 21 Apr 2012 09:19

biscuitman Why do we want to sign him?

Because he is quite good and would add some quality to our team perhaps? Radical thought I know, but try and go with it..

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 21 Apr 2012 09:23

Did they say that he could make the move permanent if QPR stay up this year, otherwise they want him in the Championship

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Apr 2012 09:24

biscuitman Why do we want to sign him?

He's a very good centre back who can cover right back with ease. We won ever game of the 6 that he played in. He fits into the side well and into the squad as well. I imagine he wont cost much either, with only one year left on his contract. It's a win win for Reading and Connolly.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 21 Apr 2012 09:24

Not sure I'd trust him as our first-choice RB in the PL for the simple fact that he is naturally left-footed, but he could certainly be our new Bryn and provide cover/competition across the back four. He's only 24, he probs wouldn't break the bank - sensible signing if we can seal the deal.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 21 Apr 2012 09:36

He fits into the side well and into the squad as well.

The team and squad could very much change by the start of the season. I believe he played in 5 games for Reading and I wasn't THAT impressed with him. Ok, we won those games but I'm not putting it down to him. So what he's cheap! He obviously wasn't good enough to impress in the Prem for QPR and I believe there's better covering defenders around than him.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 Apr 2012 09:42

biscuitman
He fits into the side well and into the squad as well.

The team and squad could very much change by the start of the season. I believe he played in 5 games for Reading and I wasn't THAT impressed with him. Ok, we won those games but I'm not putting it down to him. So what he's cheap! He obviously wasn't good enough to impress in the Prem for QPR and I believe there's better covering defenders around than him.

By that reasoning, neither were Gorks or Legs. Connoly was steady for us, he's young for a defender (so may improve over the comming years) and can play as back-up for all of our back 4. As we have 7 subs next year, surely there's a spot for him as one of our defensive subs. We've got to remember that we've been lucky with Gorks and Pearce not picking up any injurys this year, if one of them had gone down we'd really have been in trouble. What would we have done? Recall Sean Morrison? Trust Mullins at the back?

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 21 Apr 2012 09:51

By that reasoning, neither were Gorks or Legs. Connoly was steady for us, he's young for a defender (so may improve over the comming years) and can play as back-up for all of our back 4. As we have 7 subs next year, surely there's a spot for him as one of our defensive subs. We've got to remember that we've been lucky with Gorks and Pearce not picking up any injurys this year, if one of them had gone down we'd really have been in trouble. What would we have done? Recall Sean Morrison? Trust Mullins at the back?

Well Legs came to us when they were in the Championship.
It's a massive step up to the Prem, we don't need to do the cheap option as someone mentioned, we need investment for for at least 2 defenders who will be Premier quality. Agree with Gorkss and Pearce, very lucky. It was very similar with Ivar and Sonko in the Championship and first Premier season.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 21 Apr 2012 12:30

He's not a right-back

We don't have any proven cover at CB so I'd sign him up if we can get him for peanuts. Only 24 as well - must have some pedigree having been signed by Arsenal's youth academy.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Apr 2012 20:19

Griff (sorry Andy) out, Connolly in to compete for RB and CB. A first choice RB would be nice, but is significantly down the list of priorities for me.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Apr 2012 20:21

biscuitman

Well Legs came to us when they were in the Championship.

Yeah, good argument - which leads to: Ledge was not good enough for the Championship with QPR so he's obviously not been good enough for us in it either. :roll:

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 21 Apr 2012 20:41

If your face doesn't fit etc.
There's no doubt that all of our first 16 are prem quality, or we wouldn't have just won the championship.
So QPR didn't want Leigertwood, Gorkss or Connoly, look where they are compared to swansea and norwich.
Too many changes upset the balance of the squad. I saw sign him if we can. He's not a prima-dona so will (presumably) be happy on the bench, as will mullins as midfield cover

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 Apr 2012 22:06

I'm with you for Connoly, not so sure about Mullins.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 22 Apr 2012 11:23

My argument Ian was above. He's not Premiership quality. He would be a good player for Leeds in the Championship. Better options available than him. See you at Birmingham mate.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Apr 2012 11:48

biscuitman My argument Ian was above. He's not Premiership quality. He would be a good player for Leeds in the Championship. Better options available than him. See you at Birmingham mate.

And your decision that's he's not Premier League quality, is because QPR let him go and you've seen in him, at most, 6 games.

I'll go with BMcD and the scouting team thanks.