Thames Sports Investment

186 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Jan 2012 10:21

Who saw Wayne Bridge earlier again and where was it? Could have sworn I just saw someone who looked like him. :shock:

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 25 Jan 2012 10:24

Any mention of exactly who will own the stadium/hotel etc? Is it job lot, or just RFC? Not seen it mentioned in the above, but have skimmed the last few pages and not seen it mentioned.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 25 Jan 2012 10:30

The due diligence process involves the following

Rock or ConAir? - Subjective, see what sort of man he is

Is the mini cheddar a crisp or a biscuit? Factual knowledge, make sure he's not a spaz

Present him with a picture of some girls and ask him to r8 them - Process. See how he manages a task

philM

by philM » 25 Jan 2012 10:30

Uke
Platypuss Successful, but not successful enough to get promoted to the Prem? Tough criteria, Uke!

It's hard to think of any foreign owned clubs with "rich owners" doing well and surviving outside the Prem though

Care to name any?

Millwall, Derby? (US)
Birmingham? (Hong Kong)
Cardiff? (Malaysia)
Hull? (Egypt)
Leicester? (Thailand)
Southampton? (Swiss)

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 25 Jan 2012 10:30

Agent Balti Any mention of exactly who will own the stadium/hotel etc? Is it job lot, or just RFC? Not seen it mentioned in the above, but have skimmed the last few pages and not seen it mentioned.

If they are currently assets of the club, then they will be part of the deal I would imagine. It would be very odd (and worrying) if the assets were being separated.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Jan 2012 10:33

Friday's Legacy
Man Friday So, all those years that Madejski "invested" in the club turned out to be loans. Anybody can loan money. I'd have more respect had he invested as he implied he was doing. Could it be that the reason he struggled to sell before was that no one was prepared to repay his loans? Very, very disappointing. Typical false messiah stuff I guess.

a little harsh but i tend to agree. the black holes of recent years i believe are a mix of the clubs losses, due to a competitive wage bill, but also to partly repay john madejski, thus reducing the loans outstanding to him (debt) and making us more appealing to a potential buyer.

or not.

thats not true though
he didnt take any money back from his loans, in fact converted much into shares in the club(that he already owned)

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Jan 2012 10:41

Red
1871 Royal Very pleased with things after watching the press conference. When he mentioned European football, my heart skipped a little bit. In my 12 years of supporting this club I would never have thought something like this would happen.

In reality isn't European football (outside the champions league) just drab ties against Eastern European opposition in half empty stadia?

Say Reading did a Fulham, and perhaps reach a UEFA cup (or whatever it's called these days) final, even then there's a lot of dull rubbers to get through on rainy Thursday evenings.

:lol:

i can see why villa fans, and liverpool fans are all sniffy about the uefa cup, but not us.
but id be going to every fecking away game i could get to if we ever got there

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 25 Jan 2012 10:46

melonhead
Red
1871 Royal Very pleased with things after watching the press conference. When he mentioned European football, my heart skipped a little bit. In my 12 years of supporting this club I would never have thought something like this would happen.

In reality isn't European football (outside the champions league) just drab ties against Eastern European opposition in half empty stadia?

Say Reading did a Fulham, and perhaps reach a UEFA cup (or whatever it's called these days) final, even then there's a lot of dull rubbers to get through on rainy Thursday evenings.

:lol:

i can see why villa fans, and liverpool fans are all sniffy about the uefa cup, but not us.
but id be going to every fecking away game i could get to if we ever got there

Agree 100% with brendy.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Jan 2012 10:47

exileinleeds
Uke I don't disagree with you though, this could well be good for the club

Rich benefactors (whatever nationality) don't seem to work these days. In fact SJM is perhaps one of the few that did

The new group is not like SJM - they are a faceless consortium (TSI) which can go broke just like any other limited Company - we only know two people who work for this "group".

It is better he sold now and managed the transition, but as Baines also pointed out about 50 pages back, he may have been under pressure to sell from his interests outside the club.

I'm just more concerned about the greeting of the new Messiah. I'm happy to welcome him, but won't hail him as such yet.

He may just be a very naughty boy, given the track records of other Messiahs

TSI may be a "faceless consortium" to us, but I am guessing they are not to SJM.
It was suggested early that a DM scoop prompted the outing of this deal ahead of their intended release date- that is plausable. It is unlike SJM to conduct business in public, however it is great to know of the HoA. It also apparently has convinced JK to commit- and who knows who else it might be being dangled in front of....
For those unaware of the term, it is a statement of agreement of the deal they want. It will contain details of funds, responsibilities, expectations- and evidence based. I cannot imagine SJM signing on a promise that funds will appear.
He will also be around (as will everyone else) to oversee what happens. He is not known for taking excessive risks, and I can see no way he would be talking to people who think it a good idea to mortgage/sell the ground to have a pop at CL football. Nor can I see Nicky Hammond suddenly spending £5m on an unknown son of a arms dealer, who never seems to make the bench.

For the record, many on here seem to confuse "Due Diligence" with some sort of "fit and proper" test. It isn't. Due Diligence is a task undertaken by lawyers and accountants that is essentially going through all the books and contracts and ensuring that things are as they have been presented.
SJM will have valued the club based on the assets and liabilities- an army of pen pushers will be checking that these are accurate, making sure they are aware of add-on clauses, on-going payments due on previous transfers....that the photocopiers are owned and not leased. Both sides will be making sure that there are no nasty surprises.

<<Pedant mode on>>
SJM was born in Stoke and named John HUrst. He changed his name. He is as Polish as my left gonad.
<<Pedant mode off>>

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 25 Jan 2012 10:47

The idea of drab ties in half empty Eastern European stadia gives me a semi.
It'll be even more exciting because we won't be able to get tickets for home games any more because the likes of Kes will be there instead...

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Jan 2012 10:51

I can't for a second see what's wrong with jollies to Bratislava and Helsinki*!

*apart from trying to get it past the missus of course!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 25 Jan 2012 10:51

My opinion of Dirks post on Tilehurst end, talk about rewriting history?

Madejski financed this club with a mixture of wages and infrastructure and purchasing power to get us promoted. And this is exactly how these guys claim they are intending to finance the club. When they say they won't break the wage structure and the ethos will remain the same, whilst investing in the academy stadium etc that is exactly what they mean.

And this is exactly what John Madejski did, but for a much smaller club that grew under his tenure.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Jan 2012 10:53

FiNeRaIn Who saw Wayne Bridge earlier again and where was it? Could have sworn I just saw someone who looked like him. :shock:

I don't think a left back is a priority right now, even if your imagination does.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Jan 2012 10:53

Friday's Legacy
Ian Royal
Friday's Legacy
I thought we still finished high enough to apply for one of them but didn't bother.

perhaps, i don't recall it though but my memory is terrible. it would have meant a horrendous pre-season regime though, then the long hard season with little summers rest. not the best prep for what we expected was a tough season.

coppell has since said he really didnt want it but kept it to himself, but the players very much did

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Jan 2012 10:54

My take on this is of mild optimism. Sure, there are a number of questions to be answered regarding the detail but I would expect that there will be further announcements in the weeks to come. I like the talk of prudence and keeping the concept of the Reading Way intact. Also, the investment in the infrastructure is noting short of common sense. In short,

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 25 Jan 2012 10:54

Silver Fox I can't for a second see what's wrong with jollies to Bratislava and Helsinki*!

*apart from trying to get it past the missus of course!

thats a positive about being a female fan, the bf wouldnt have any objections

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Jan 2012 11:00

ZacNaloen My opinion of Dirks post on Tilehurst end, talk about rewriting history?

Madejski financed this club with a mixture of wages and infrastructure and purchasing power to get us promoted. And this is exactly how these guys claim they are intending to finance the club. When they say they won't break the wage structure and the ethos will remain the same, whilst investing in the academy stadium etc that is exactly what they mean.

And this is exactly what John Madejski did, but for a much smaller club that grew under his tenure.

I think you're right about re-writing history but in another way as well.

In the championship perhaps we've gone about in a more prudent manner but in the 3rd tier we paid way above what would be considered prudent in order to get into the Championship. It was a calculated risk but it was not far off the same gamble as we criticise others for doing and indeed the sort of thing people seem worried about us doing now.

Not saying they're not right to voice some concerns but it's a bit hypocritical and smacks of selective memory too when it comes to Madejski's MO under Burns and Pardew in the 3rd tier.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 25 Jan 2012 11:01

^ a calculated gamble, but with lower stakes.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 25 Jan 2012 11:02

With Maccy D being given "the exact transfer budget" he asked for, but "not being allowed to break the wage structure", will he do the thing you used to be able to do on Champ Man, and offer massive signing on bonuses to make up for a short fall in wages?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Jan 2012 11:03

Bandini ^ a calculated gamble, but with lower stakes.

Indeed but equally with higher rewards now though.

186 posts