Thames Sports Investment

186 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by floyd__streete » 24 Jan 2012 22:22

Friday's Legacy
Whore Jackie FWIW, I thought Chris Samuelson came across quite well in that conference. JM looked a bit shocked at his honesty in discounting press speculation of £40M for their 51% stake and, indeed, future stadium naming rights. Promising stuff.

indeed. he grew on me a lot. he certainly said all the right things. good times ahead, i just hope i don't log in one evening and see a thread titled "TSI Pull Out".

Agreed. He spoke knowledgeably and - apparently - honestly about things and when put on the spot with an irrelevant question about Tottenham's ownership he seemed knowledgeable enough about that too.

Alternatively: http://thetilehurstend.co.uk/2012/01/24 ... gence-due/
Last edited by floyd__streete on 24 Jan 2012 22:28, edited 2 times in total.

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 24 Jan 2012 22:23

What does "prudent" mean?

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 24 Jan 2012 22:27

rfc2001 What does "prudent" mean?

Careful, avoid any risks.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Jan 2012 22:34

leicsRoyal

Careful, avoid any risks.
its the Reading way

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 24 Jan 2012 22:34

Too good to be true. After watching all that. Bizarre that SJM appears to hae actually found the perfect buyer. Quite bizarre really

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 24 Jan 2012 22:37

http://thetilehurstend.co.uk/2012/01/24%20...%20gence-due/

Interesting article, one thing I would say though to the author, he seems to be expecting specific answers when at this stage of the takeover we are very unlikely to get them

I'm sure we'll find out their plans in much more detail once March comes and goes without any hitches.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 24 Jan 2012 22:41

What does ethos mean ? Is it in Greece?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Jan 2012 23:00

Ahem

No

That is all

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 24 Jan 2012 23:14

Bloody hell he came across as a perfect investor, shrewd talking no nonsense approach to the questions.

Best answer was highlighting manager asked for a transfer budget and he has been given this budget!! Looks like church will be getting a new 5 year contract :D

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 24 Jan 2012 23:16

Just seen the conference." they'll be no change at reading, the only change will be that there ismoney coming in to support it" :shock: :shock: :shock:

In my wildest fishing dreams I never thought this possible.

Someone pinch me. :lol: :lol:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Jan 2012 23:19

I watched the conference, everything sounds perfect, feels to good to be true. So what money did Brian ask for? :shock:

Scylla

by Scylla » 24 Jan 2012 23:22

LoyalRoyal22 I watched the conference, everything sounds perfect, feels to good to be true. So what money did Brian ask for? :shock:

And these takeovers always turn out so well.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 24 Jan 2012 23:33

strap
Uke The negotiations have been going on, but why the big announcements about Heads of Terms?

Quite simply because a Daily Mail reporter informed SJM/RFC that he had scooped the deal and would be pubilshing an exclusive in the following day's DM. SJM then had the choice of keeping quiet and letting the press put a spanner in the works, (a la Everton deal 2004), or agree with TSI to annouce the HoT before the DM story appeared the next day.

Oh, and quite a few other club Chairmen knew this deal was in the offing long before the press had a sniff. Football is as small and insular an industry as construction is.

This makes sense, thanks

Now tell us how desperate SJM was to sell ;)

At the moment all I hear is people saying media/fan friendly soundbites and my bullshit detectors are on amber

As I said, the same would have been said to Man City fans when Sinatra bought them, Leicester, Notts Co, Pompey (repeatedly), etc...

I don't trust Press Conferences like these which are just commercially sposored marketing messages

We can't influence anything, it'll happen anyway. But I'll enjoy/ hate/ be indifferent at various times along the ride

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 24 Jan 2012 23:35

Anybody else see the Mad man nearly sh!t a brick when he gave the exact figures for the takeover......can just hear it now "er....we don't give out exact numbers around here!"

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 24 Jan 2012 23:49

Everything sounds great... apart from John not having a phonecall with Kenwright. That's the only bit that has made me think hmmmmmmmm.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 25 Jan 2012 00:04

Drew_3 Anybody else see the Mad man nearly sh!t a brick when he gave the exact figures for the takeover......can just hear it now "er....we don't give out exact numbers around here!"

He didn't have to say a thing at all. The fact he did is worrying.

One would have thought a businessman as experienced and shrewd as Samuelson would know better, unless he wanted to shaft SJM from the start to ensure the price for the remaining 49% stayed low.

Especially as it decreased SJM's net worth by millions instantly, particularly if he's trying to get rid of other assets too.

Another level of unease added...

More concern that

Although I hope it won't as SJM doesn't deserve it

Kebab >>>>>>>>>> Pizza at this time

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 25 Jan 2012 05:21

I still cannot believe the negative vibes, SJM has sold a majority stake in RFC because he cannot invest the figures required to get back to and then push on in the Premier League, the alternative was to sit as an owner and paper of the financial cracks, he already put £500k in last financial year. As anyone has seen the cost of running just at this current level despite all the cost cutting was £35mill, still way more than the club brings in as usual income, player sales excepted. I doubt anyone expects the club to continue to groom Siggys year after year, so it would not take long for the club to need to keep cutting harder and harder, each time it would be less likely that we would get the players to sell and keep afloat at a decent level.

Well done SJM, it seems we are to be owned by someone with an interest, that will buy the club as it is and invest for the future. All in all similar to 1990, though all people wanted then was a rich buyer. SJM has moved RFC from EP to the Madstad, done it at a sensible pace, now is the time for the next step of that process.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 25 Jan 2012 06:23

FOR SALE

One pair of large shears, used for cutting cloth, well used but in vgc. Please ring Madstad and ask for SJM.

Delivery available to Portsmouth area.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Jan 2012 07:05

We don't like dirty sex.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 25 Jan 2012 07:13

Harpers So Solid Crew I still cannot believe the negative vibes, SJM has sold a majority stake in RFC because he cannot invest the figures required to get back to and then push on in the Premier League, the alternative was to sit as an owner and paper of the financial cracks, he already put £500k in last financial year. As anyone has seen the cost of running just at this current level despite all the cost cutting was £35mill, still way more than the club brings in as usual income, player sales excepted. I doubt anyone expects the club to continue to groom Siggys year after year, so it would not take long for the club to need to keep cutting harder and harder, each time it would be less likely that we would get the players to sell and keep afloat at a decent level.

Well done SJM, it seems we are to be owned by someone with an interest, that will buy the club as it is and invest for the future. All in all similar to 1990, though all people wanted then was a rich buyer. SJM has moved RFC from EP to the Madstad, done it at a sensible pace, now is the time for the next step of that process.

Cautious rather than negative

Likewise I can't understand the blind rejoicing at the new Messiahs

When has a foreign buyer ever brought success outside the safe cartel of the Prem?

If you can give examples....

186 posts