Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

1019 posts
Stuboo

Re: Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

by Stuboo » 19 Oct 2012 15:22

Now Wenger has spoken out against Roberts' stance, as has Ferguson. This is going to be a huge news story this weekend. The papers love writing about anything race related. I don't like it. Roberts has a responsibility to RFC. I don't like this shit storm he's getting us embroiled in.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Oct 2012 15:26

"us"?

personally embroiled?

taking stick over it in the pub?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Oct 2012 15:28

melonhead
RoyalBlue
melonhead think roberts has achieved more in saying he wouldnt wear the tshirt, than lets kick it out have ever achieved
no one notices the tshirts, or thinks about teh impact of racism wghen theyre being worn
no one talks about them for days after or before teh match.

hes got global coverage, and th eissue is now top of the issue list

And once tomorrow has gone it will be quickly forgotten about as UEFA fine England and let Serbia pretty much off the hook. If Roberts really wants to achieve something he is going to have to work a lot harder and longer than merely stating he won't wear a T shirt.

killing all racists>>>>>>>>working hard long term on the issue>>>>>>>>>>>saying you wont wear the tshirt>>>>>>>>>>>just wearing a tshirt
in terms of raising the issues profile

i never said there was no better way to raise the profile, just said he had done so

Exactly. So he can now drop that bit and move onto something more productive in his own time. If he really wants the issue in the headlines, when UEFA bottle the Serbia issue - as they inevitably will - announce he is quitting football in protest.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 19 Oct 2012 15:30

RobRoyal
RoyalBlue
melonhead think roberts has achieved more in saying he wouldnt wear the tshirt, than lets kick it out have ever achieved
no one notices the tshirts, or thinks about teh impact of racism wghen theyre being worn
no one talks about them for days after or before teh match.

hes got global coverage, and th eissue is now top of the issue list

And once tomorrow has gone it will be quickly forgotten about as UEFA fine England and let Serbia pretty much off the hook. If Roberts really wants to achieve something he is going to have to work a lot harder and longer than merely stating he won't wear a T shirt.

Er... I don't think he's making out that journeyman-striker-of-advancing-years-at-little-club-refuses-to-wear-t-shirt-gate is going to be the death knell of racism in the European football.

I think he just doesn't want to wear something celebrating an organisation he thinks has seriously failed.

No, he is quite clearly intent on making it a bigger issue than that (and has stated so). He has also achieved that objective. My point remains - what is he going to do that is really meaningful?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Oct 2012 15:32

If he plays what's the betting he'll get a couple of cards for characteristically bellendish dissent?

He's a good guy but, whatever we all make of his off-pitch pronouncements, he sure behaves like a bellend on the pitch sometimes.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Oct 2012 15:46

Royal Rother If he plays what's the betting he'll get a couple of cards for characteristically bellendish dissent?

I would say extremely unlikely.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 19 Oct 2012 15:57

melonhead "us"?

personally embroiled?

No, I just think this has the potential to reflect badly on the club. He will be on duty for us as it were when he doesnt wear the shirt, if he goes ahead with it. Obs at the mo he's taking most of the heat, but if other players join in with him....?

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 19 Oct 2012 16:01

Maguire
Royal Rother If he plays what's the betting he'll get a couple of cards for characteristically bellendish dissent?

I would say extremely unlikely.

If he gets on, I predict he will give Suarez some verbals, but who knows what will happen. He'll defo be fired up. Could be good for us if he bangs some in.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 19 Oct 2012 16:59

Tokyo Sex Whale Roberts was on 5-live about half an hour ago looking like a mug for not supporting a group that campaigns for racism to be kicked out of football.

They made it clear they have no power to take any action but only raise awareness by campaigning and that Roberts decision to no longer support a group that campaigns for racism to be kicked out of football was bewildering.

He sounded like a man who made a decision in the heat of the moment, is clearly wrong but has to stick by his guns to save face.

That's the whole point. He has raised awareness by his initial statements and I am sure Brian or someone else at the club can now come up with a story that will allow him to gracefully back down and wear the T Shirt. Best thing is that, by doing that, it will create another big wave of publicity!

Simples!

Trouble is, I really don't think he is that bright at times.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Oct 2012 17:01

Wah wah wah what will other clubs think of us.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Oct 2012 17:14

Stuboo
melonhead "us"?

personally embroiled?

No, I just think this has the potential to reflect badly on the club. He will be on duty for us as it were when he doesnt wear the shirt, if he goes ahead with it. Obs at the mo he's taking most of the heat, but if other players join in with him....?

up to them

personal issue

as stated by mcdermott, who is happy for his players to have their own personality and beliefs/opinions
unlike ferguson, who prefers a squad full of sheep

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 19 Oct 2012 17:14

To be completely honest thanks to Roberts, people actually know that we exist.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 19 Oct 2012 17:24

akranes To be completely honest thanks to Roberts, people actually know that we exist.

Fair point. Up till now he has done much more good than harm to us with his media committments. Personally I hope he doesn't ruin it.

Melonhead, while I agree players should be allowed to be their own people, doing anyting that could hurt the club is not on.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 19 Oct 2012 17:26

TBH he is being a right bellend with this t-shirt business.

I fully expect him to spend the entire pre match warm up by standing on the centre spot, wearing a black leather glove and his fist in the air

#TOTP

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Oct 2012 17:37

Similar to NFA who wears a rubber glove with his fist up your arse operating you like a ventriloquist dummy.
Last edited by sandman on 19 Oct 2012 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 19 Oct 2012 17:42

M8, I'm not into blokes, get over it and leave me be

old woman

by old woman » 19 Oct 2012 17:46

Ideal
Stuboo Now Wenger has spoken out against Roberts' stance, as has Ferguson. This is going to be a huge news story this weekend. The papers love writing about anything race related. I don't like it. Roberts has a responsibility to RFC. I don't like this shit storm he's getting us embroiled in.

roberts is a oxf*rd idiot, he needs to control his womanly tantrums and stop this ridiculousness which is giving RFC a bad reputation

What's with the"womanly tantrums"- we're on rascism today not sexism :o

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 19 Oct 2012 17:56

He hasn't told anyone else not to wear them, nor has he even insinuated that those who do are supporting a duff cause - I'm split on it, I think by boycotting it he's being misunderstood, and the entire point will once again be brushed under the carpet and eclipsed by his own words.. I'm not sure he can win, and it will be reported in any way to fit other agendas. Saying that it's the FA etc to boycott, how do you do that without receiving a daft fine and so forth?

blindedbythelights

by blindedbythelights » 19 Oct 2012 17:57

not read the thread

just to say, irritating tw@ and his gob exceeds his ability

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 19 Oct 2012 18:00

I'm not sure what Roberts expects "Kick Racism out of Football" to do other than raise awareness and promote the fact it's so wrong. It's not like they can tell the FA or UEFA or anyone what punishments to dish out. Has he actually said what he thinks they should be doing, that they're not already? :|

1019 posts