Tense, nervous headache?

105 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Tense, nervous headache?

by floyd__streete » 09 Aug 2012 12:54

Despite the RFC Social Media's laughable attempts to count down to the season by way of Sesame Street-esque pictures of the numbers on players shirts :| , I don't get much noticeable feel of the buzz there was 6 years ago when we kicked off our first Premier League season. I shall venture some reasons (imo) for this:

- It's been done. Nothing much new or exciting about the Premier League product for us.

- Pricing prohibitive. I understand that we haven't sold out season tickets, nor the Stoke match itself. I am a season ticket holder so don't tend to pay too much attention, but I am told that tickets for the Spurs game (first 'big name' home fixture) are around £40. Steep. And imo this all further reinforces my belief that stadium expansion should be shelved until we at least secure a third successive term in the top flight. Count the empty seats at Wolves, for example, next season.

- National backlash against football. We've seen our Olympians perform brilliantly, humbly and with good humour.....with the exception of Daniel Sturridge who behaved like a petulant brat when he tried to show off with his penalty in the shoot out and boy didn't that highlight the self-important, ignorant attitude of 'the football bubble'. England's performances in Euro 2012 were also largely terrible and most of those involved can FOAD as far as I am concerned.

With an excellent Olympic games and a largely enjoyable Euro 2012, I cannot think of a summer in which I have less missed football. I'll still be there on Saturday week of course, but I wonder if you are all as feeling largely indifferent to it all as I am?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Tense, nervous headache?

by Green » 09 Aug 2012 12:59

Bit indifferent for a long time tbh but I hear you floyd.

My main excitement at promotion was the prospect of having three away games within walking distance of my flat but even that's been tempered by the realisation that Chelsea are charging £50 for tickets. Fvck that for a game of football.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Aug 2012 12:59

Dunno about everyone else but I'm getting increasingly excited as the season approaches.

Obviously the Euro's and Olympics have proved a welcome distraction to the monotomy of pre-season, but I think once this week is over and done with excitement will start to build.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 09 Aug 2012 13:01

Green Bit indifferent for a long time tbh but I hear you floyd.

My main excitement at promotion was the prospect of having three away games within walking distance of my flat but even that's been tempered by the realisation that Chelsea are charging £50 for tickets. Fvck that for a game of football.

We can now triangulate and locate Green's flat

btw are Green/Red/The Rouge different posters

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Aug 2012 13:03

And Blue Hooped Moose.

Red was before your time surely creative?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Aug 2012 13:06

I missed out:

- Mind the gap. The disparity in wealth and resource means we are hardly likely to do anything other than struggle in 'the big league'.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 09 Aug 2012 13:08

Not particularly looking forward to this season at all, the prospect of knowing you're going to lose game after game and only run a few teams close just leaves me apathetic. Maybe we'll do OK, but more likely we'll struggle against fitter, faster and more skillfull players and experience their better standard of cheating.

Still we get to be last on MOTD and suffer Lauro's inane comments.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 09 Aug 2012 13:08

Green And Blue Hooped Moose.

Red was before your time surely creative?

I've been lurking for ages couldn't get registered for about 18months, i tried again the other night and they let me straight on.

Esteban

by Esteban » 09 Aug 2012 13:16

I'm sure there are lots of reasons why the excitement seems to be less, but for me it's that:

1) We have Stoke up first game, which I expect to be a pretty drab game

2) The biggest reason is that I just can't afford to go to games any more. £25 seemed a lot more affordable.

Having said that, I'm sure I'll be nervous and excited when it all kicks off.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 09 Aug 2012 13:34

floyd__streete Despite the RFC Social Media's laughable attempts to count down to the season by way of Sesame Street-esque pictures of the numbers on players shirts :| , I don't get much noticeable feel of the buzz there was 6 years ago when we kicked off our first Premier League season. I shall venture some reasons (imo) for this:

- It's been done. Nothing much new or exciting about the Premier League product for us.

- Pricing prohibitive. I understand that we haven't sold out season tickets, nor the Stoke match itself. I am a season ticket holder so don't tend to pay too much attention, but I am told that tickets for the Spurs game (first 'big name' home fixture) are around £40. Steep. And imo this all further reinforces my belief that stadium expansion should be shelved until we at least secure a third successive term in the top flight. Count the empty seats at Wolves, for example, next season.

- National backlash against football. We've seen our Olympians perform brilliantly, humbly and with good humour.....with the exception of Daniel Sturridge who behaved like a petulant brat when he tried to show off with his penalty in the shoot out and boy didn't that highlight the self-important, ignorant attitude of 'the football bubble'. England's performances in Euro 2012 were also largely terrible and most of those involved can FOAD as far as I am concerned.

With an excellent Olympic games and a largely enjoyable Euro 2012, I cannot think of a summer in which I have less missed football. I'll still be there on Saturday week of course, but I wonder if you are all as feeling largely indifferent to it all as I am?

Spot on! The Olypics to me have shown what a bunch of overpaid pansies really are.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Aug 2012 13:37

To be honest, I have been so absorbed by the Olympics, I've just not had a chance to think about football. It's been nice! I think when they are over, I'll start getting a bit more excited.

I've also been a little concerned with our pre-season performances (I know, I know, it's just about fitness...) and have a bit of an apprehensive feeling towards the new season, we kind of snuck in at the end there last season - and while it was more thrilling, I'm not sure how we are going to fare when we aren't riding on the back of annihilating everyone the season before.

Time will tell...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Aug 2012 13:41

The Olympics are great for 2 weeks, but there's a reason why these sports aren't watched week in week out by millions of people.

I confidently predict that this thread will produce many fLOLoyds when we're a couple of months into the season.

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 09 Aug 2012 13:42

I'm quite mixed about the new season

Positives:
* More TV time, Sky sports will be more worth the price I pay
* MOTD rather than 2 min clips on FLS
* Good away days out to London clubs, mainly Fulham

Negatives:
* Ridiculous hike in ticket prices for 90 mins of football, essentially
* There will be an influx of children, families & day trippers singing embarrassing songs
* Due to not having a season ticket I'll have to move away from the East Stand, meaning i'll have to sit down the whole game in silence
* Constant diving and stupid penalty decisions

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Aug 2012 13:43

floyd__streete Despite the RFC Social Media's laughable attempts to count down to the season by way of Sesame Street-esque pictures of the numbers on players shirts :| , I don't get much noticeable feel of the buzz there was 6 years ago when we kicked off our first Premier League season. I shall venture some reasons (imo) for this:

thats mostly bollox- obviously its not going to be as exciting the second time as the first.
but id put 99% of the lack of build up purely down to the lympics, and that alone

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Aug 2012 13:45

PieEater Not particularly looking forward to this season at all, the prospect of knowing you're going to lose game after game .

hasnt that been the prospects for the vast majority of reading seasons ever though?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 09 Aug 2012 14:10

genome To be honest, I have been so absorbed by the Olympics, I've just not had a chance to think about football. It's been nice! I think when they are over, I'll start getting a bit more excited.

I've also been a little concerned with our pre-season performances (I know, I know, it's just about fitness...) and have a bit of an apprehensive feeling towards the new season, we kind of snuck in at the end there last season - and while it was more thrilling, I'm not sure how we are going to fare when we aren't riding on the back of annihilating everyone the season before.

Time will tell...

^^^ This

But without the getting a bit more excited part

A general sense of trepidation has set in and pre-season has nothing to jolt me out of it

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 09 Aug 2012 14:31

I think the Euros and the Olympics have played a big part in not being excited about the new season - we haven't had the time to be bored and itch for the season to start.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Aug 2012 14:32

I actually think January will be the most interesting - I will be curious to see what Zingarevich will do if we are staring down the barrel.

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 09 Aug 2012 15:01

genome To be honest, I have been so absorbed by the Olympics, I've just not had a chance to think about football. It's been nice! I think when they are over, I'll start getting a bit more excited.

Time will tell...

Yep, this for me too.

Last time there was a lot of excitement as it was all a bit unknown. My fear is that this season will be a lot closer to our last one in the Premier League.
I'll celebrate each and every point far more than if we were still in the Championship though. As someone that grew up on Div 3 and 4 football, it's little old Reading competing in the top division and that makes me smile, a lot.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 09 Aug 2012 15:17

genome I actually think January will be the most interesting - I will be curious to see what Zingarevich will do if we are staring down the barrel.

your the voice try and understand it, make a noise and make it clear

wooooaaah ooooah ooooooahwwwooooooaaaaahh

105 posts