Far Canal

What the papers say: Stoke

by Far Canal » 18 Aug 2012 19:11

the telegraph

Reading 1 Stoke City 1: match report

By Gordon Simpson, Madejski Stadium

6:00PM BST 18 Aug 2012

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... eport.html

Brian McDermott had cited Stoke as role models for Premier League newcomers Reading in the build-up to this game.

For much of this contest, though, it looked like the Royals had a long way to go if they were to emulate their more established opponents.

Stoke, embarking on their fifth consecutive season in the top flight, have done a fine job of silencing their doubters in recent years.

Yesterday, they again displayed enough strength and tenacity to suggest their unbroken run among the elite can continue. The inspirational return of Robert Huth from viral meningitis was testament to that.

For Reading, who were watched by new owner Anton Zingarevich, the challenge is perhaps greater.

The winners of last season’s Championship were second best for much of this opening fixture, making the jump in divisions look large.

But a stirring late display silenced some of their own doubters, as Adam Le Fondre’s last-minute penalty cancelled out Michael Kightly’s first-half effort to earn them a point that could eventually prove extremely valuable.

“Psychologically it’s important we got that result today,” said McDermott. “We know we can compete.

“I thought that was the least we deserved. We would have been disappointed to have lost the game.”

Stoke had been boosted before kick-off by the surprise return of centre half Huth, just over a week after he had been in hospital.

He displayed no ill-effects, though, turning in a commanding performance at the back.

“He trained Monday,” said Pulis. “We’re very, very pleased to have him back. He’s a great player for us.”

It was Huth’s counterpart, Royals defender Kaspars Gorkss, who had the first real chance, flashing a header from a Danny Guthrie corner just wide of the top corner.

But it was a rare effort from the hosts, with Stoke proving far more lively.

Jon Walters angled a header from Kightly’s free kick just wide of the far post, before the visitors made the breakthrough in the 34th minute.

Royals keeper Adam Federici would not have been tuning in to see the highlights of this one.

Summer signing Kightly pounced as the hosts failed to clear Glenn Whelan’s ball into the box. The ex-Wolves man dropped a shoulder to create space and hit a shot that spun off Gorkss.

It looked to be a comfortable save for Federici down at his near post, but he somehow let the ball squirm past him.

“We all make errors,” said McDermott. “He works really hard each and every day. He’s saved us many times before and he will do again in the future.”

Reading could have been handed a route back into the game just after the hour.

Dean Whitehead, already booked for an earlier foul on Guthrie, brought down Pavel Pogrebnyak on the edge of the area.

But, despite the home crowd’s protests, referee Kevin Friend refused to issue a second yellow.

Poghrebnyak headed straight at Asmir Begovic in the 71st minute – Reading’s first shot on target.

It looked like Reading’s hopes had faded, before sub Garath McCleary was brought down as he combined with Adam Le Fondre.

Friend had let play continue, as the ball spilt to Noel Hunt, whose shot was saved by Begovic. But he called play back for the penalty. Whitehead was the culprit, and this time couldn’t escape a second yellow.

“My biggest issue with this is he’s actually played on when it’s come to the lad and Asmir’s saved it and it’s been cleared then he’s called it back for the penalty,” said Pulis.

“But if he’s seen it and he thinks it’s a penalty then he’s got to book Deano.”

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: What the papers say: Stoke

by sandman » 18 Aug 2012 19:14

Was Gordy baby at Loftus Road?

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 18 Aug 2012 19:59

You've got to be kidding me, I thought we bossed the game for large spells we were just lacking in quality in the final 3rd!?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Aug 2012 20:04

^ +1

a draw against Stoke is exactly what I expected

Delighted and well done lads

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 18 Aug 2012 20:28

That report is quite frankly bollocks.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 18 Aug 2012 20:35

i see Stevie wonder is still alive and kicking ...what total balls.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 18 Aug 2012 20:51

Far Canal the telegraph

Reading 1 Stoke City 1: match report

By Gordon Simpson, Madejski Stadium

6:00PM BST 18 Aug 2012

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... eport.html

Brian McDermott had cited Stoke as role models for Premier League newcomers Reading in the build-up to this game.

For much of this contest, though, it looked like the Royals had a long way to go if they were to emulate their more established opponents.

Stoke, embarking on their fifth consecutive season in the top flight, have done a fine job of silencing their doubters in recent years.

Yesterday, they again displayed enough strength and tenacity to suggest their unbroken run among the elite can continue. The inspirational return of Robert Huth from viral meningitis was testament to that.

For Reading, who were watched by new owner Anton Zingarevich, the challenge is perhaps greater.

The winners of last season’s Championship were second best for much of this opening fixture, making the jump in divisions look large.

But a stirring late display silenced some of their own doubters, as Adam Le Fondre’s last-minute penalty cancelled out Michael Kightly’s first-half effort to earn them a point that could eventually prove extremely valuable.

“Psychologically it’s important we got that result today,” said McDermott. “We know we can compete.

“I thought that was the least we deserved. We would have been disappointed to have lost the game.”

Stoke had been boosted before kick-off by the surprise return of centre half Huth, just over a week after he had been in hospital.

He displayed no ill-effects, though, turning in a commanding performance at the back.

“He trained Monday,” said Pulis. “We’re very, very pleased to have him back. He’s a great player for us.”

It was Huth’s counterpart, Royals defender Kaspars Gorkss, who had the first real chance, flashing a header from a Danny Guthrie corner just wide of the top corner.

Jon Walters angled a header from Kightly’s free kick just wide of the far post, before the visitors made the breakthrough in the 34th minute.

Royals keeper Adam Federici would not have been tuning in to see the highlights of this one.

Summer signing Kightly pounced as the hosts failed to clear Glenn Whelan’s ball into the box. The ex-Wolves man dropped a shoulder to create space and hit a shot that spun off Gorkss.

It looked to be a comfortable save for Federici down at his near post, but he somehow let the ball squirm past him.

“We all make errors,” said McDermott. “He works really hard each and every day. He’s saved us many times before and he will do again in the future.”

Reading could have been handed a route back into the game just after the hour.

Dean Whitehead, already booked for an earlier foul on Guthrie, brought down Pavel Pogrebnyak on the edge of the area.

But, despite the home crowd’s protests, referee Kevin Friend refused to issue a second yellow.

Poghrebnyak headed straight at Asmir Begovic in the 71st minute – Reading’s first shot on target.

It looked like Reading’s hopes had faded, before sub Garath McCleary was brought down as he combined with Adam Le Fondre.

Friend had let play continue, as the ball spilt to Noel Hunt, whose shot was saved by Begovic. But he called play back for the penalty. Whitehead was the culprit, and this time couldn’t escape a second yellow.

“My biggest issue with this is he’s actually played on when it’s come to the lad and Asmir’s saved it and it’s been cleared then he’s called it back for the penalty,” said Pulis.

“But if he’s seen it and he thinks it’s a penalty then he’s got to book Deano.”

WTF!!!

I take it this Muppet is from Stoke Observer or summat!

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 18 Aug 2012 20:55

:| Can't remember in which parts Stoke looked far more lively... But for 5 min here and they I thought they were unimpressive.

Though Walters is in good form.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 18 Aug 2012 21:27

The BBC's review says much the same as this report - ie. massively unimpressed with Reading and full of praise for Stoke. I wasn't at the game (live on the other side of the planet) but that's clearly the take of the press. It's only when I came on here that I read a very different take on things.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19221348

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Aug 2012 21:37

E. Andrew
Though Walters is in good form.

One of the most under-rated players in the league, an everything player, he's like a good Jay Spearing.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 18 Aug 2012 21:40

I'm sure Pulis gets livid if Walters scores. His job is to foul the keeper at the long throw-ins

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 18 Aug 2012 21:42

The Guardian's take was a bit more accurate;

Reading stepped back into the Premier League limelight after a four-year absence and ran straight into the mean machine that is Stoke City. In a predictably dour match – for years, Stoke have successfully suffocated and stifled many better opponents – Reading needed a dramatic late equaliser to escape defeat.

Garath McCleary, a jack-in-the-box substitute, drove into the Stoke area in the 89th minute and was felled by Dean Whitehead, who collected a second yellow card – and then red – for his clumsy challenge. Adam le Fondre thumped the spot kick past Asmir Begovic to rescue a draw and, with a visit to Chelsea on Wednesday, a welcome point. Perhaps it should have been all three, such was Reading's dominance for sustained periods, but it was always an uphill slog after Adam Federici's first-half howler. That Stoke showed such a startling lack of ambition, after being gifted the opener, did not help, either.

Last season, Federici was so often the saviour as Reading secured the Championship title. This time, faced with a rare effort on target by Stoke – a tame mis-hit shot into the ground by Michael Kightly – the Australian goalkeeper went to gather the ball but succeeded only in allowing it to squirm through his grasp.

For Kightly, a £2m summer buy from Wolves, the joy. For Federici, the embarrassment. "We all make errors," Brian McDermott, the Reading manager, said. "I make errors most days. Adam's a great character, he was upset about it, but it's just part of life. I suppose I can't be too disappointed with a point. I thought that was the least we deserved. We kept going, as we always do, even though the temperatures weren't conducive to good football. Stoke have been in the Premier League for a long time so maybe we now know that we can compete [at this level]."

Tony Pulis, the Stoke manager, did not contest the penalty, given by the referee, Kevin Friend, or the dismissal of Whitehead. "It could have gone either way," Pulis said. "And if the referee has seen it, he has to book Dean, who has already been booked, and has to send him off." However, Pulis did question the time-lapse between Whitehead's foul and the awarding of the penalty. Friend had tried to play advantage, which resulted in Begovic saving a close-range Le Fondre effort, before going back to point to the spot. "It's a good rule, it gives advantage to the attacking team," Pulis said. "But we have to be consistent. When do you start it? When do you stop?"

Pulis will try to clarify the issue with Mike Riley, general manager of the referees' governing body. Even at this early stage of the season, he might have to join a queue.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... ier-league

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 18 Aug 2012 21:48

Guardian report more like the game I watched which was largely bossed by Reading.

If Fed had not made the howler I think we might have won the game but a stirring comeback can only do good for morale and so I came away happy.

One can only think that the Telegraph writer was not actually at the game.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 19 Aug 2012 00:26

andrew1957 Guardian report more like the game I watched which was largely bossed by Reading.

If Fed had not made the howler I think we might have won the game but a stirring comeback can only do good for morale and so I came away happy.

One can only think that the Telegraph writer was not actually at the game.

It may well have been written before the game with only minor amendments (like the result) done after :lol:

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 19 Aug 2012 09:02

Sporting Life:

Adam Le Fondre scored a last-minute penalty to rescue Reading from an opening-day defeat in their Barclays Premier League second coming on Saturday.
Sky Bet

The Royals looked set to be taught a harsh lesson in the realities of top-flight football after Adam Federici's humiliating howler gifted Michael Kightly a debut goal and Dean Whitehead avoided what appeared a certain red card.

But new signing Garath McCleary came off the bench to turn the game, winning the penalty that finally saw Whitehead sent off and sent the Reading fans home happy from what was their first Premier League outing for four years.

It could so easily have been otherwise and Royals boss Brian McDermott will be worried how badly out of their depth his side had looked before McCleary's intervention, his three other debutants all disappointing.

So gushing had Reading been about Stoke in the build-up to today's game, it was hard to tell whether they wanted to beat them or be them.

They certainly could not have been handed a more awkward opening fixture against a side notorious for being horrible to play against.

And they were not exactly having fun in the sun in an opening half-hour that must have had some fans pining for the Olympics.

A succession of niggly Stoke fouls ruined what little flow there was and even referee Kevin Friend's patience snapped when he booked Whitehead for tripping Reading new boy Danny Guthrie.

Ian Harte's dead-ball skills did cause a few problems but it took until the 20th minute for the first effort on goal to arrive, John Walters' pot-shot careering over the crossbar.

Both sides seemed to be wilting in the heat and took the opportunity for a drinks break while Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic was treated for a facial injury.

Kaspars Gorkss should have hit the target with a free header from Guthrie's corner and Walters was unlucky to steer his own glancing effort narrowly wide from Kightly's free-kick.

It did not matter as Reading simply gifted Stoke the lead in the 34th minute thanks to some calamitous defending and goalkeeping.

The Royals defence failed to clear a routine straight ball, which fell to Kightly, who was given an age to control and shoot.

His strike took a slight nick off Gorkss but not enough to deceive Federici, who embarrassingly allowed it to slip through his arms.

Gorkss' afternoon got worse when he was booked for bundling over Walters before an under-pressure Le Fondre could not quite get his head on Hal Robson-Kanu's cross on the stroke of half-time.

Kightly would have had a second goal shortly after the restart had Gorkss not thrown himself at Walters' hooked cross from Peter Crouch's knockdown.

Reading should have been given a lifeline on the hour mark when Whitehead was penalised for felling Pogrebnyak in full flight on the edge of the box but Friend made the highly controversial decision not to produce a second yellow card.

He also waved away two Pavel Pogrebnyak penalty appeals, which would have been equally controversial if given, before the home side threw on McCleary for Robson-Kanu.

McCleary instantly provided the guile Reading had been missing with a lovely reverse pass to Pogrebnyak, whose shot was blocked behind for a corner which saw the Russian nod the hosts' first effort on target straight at Begovic after 70 minutes.

That was the striker's final real contribution as the changes continued for both sides but Stoke looked certain to cling on before dramatically falling apart in the 88th minute.

McCleary was allowed to advance unchallenged into the area and was upended by Whitehead.

Friend allowed play to continue and fellow substitute Noel Hunt was denied by Begovic but the referee brought play back, awarding the penalty and showing Whitehead a deserved second yellow card.

Le Fondre despatched the spot-kick to spark pandemonium at the Madejski, which was almost repeated when Robert Huth gave away a stoppage-time free-kick that Harte curled inches over the top.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 19 Aug 2012 09:52

SpaghettiHoop
It could so easily have been otherwise and Royals boss Brian McDermott will be worried how badly out of their depth his side had looked before McCleary's intervention, his three other debutants all disappointing.

Another fecking tosser that wasn`t even there.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Aug 2012 10:05

Find it odd Pulis is questioning how much advantage was given. By my count Less than three seconds between the foul and the penalty being awarded.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 19 Aug 2012 10:13

I really don't think we should fool ourselves - yesterday was a disappointing performance against a team that we need to finish above if we are to stay up. Sure we had the better of the opening exchanges and were the better team until they scored but after that we let them back in and showed precious little until McCleary came on and we certainly were on top at the end. Despite good performances from Ledge and Guthrie, we looked toothless up front and the Pog in particular was a let down. There was at least one occasion when he fell to the ground appealing for a pen that he was never going to get when he could have stayed on his feet and kept the attack going. It was no surprise when he was subbed rather than Alf.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Aug 2012 10:22

windermere_royal
SpaghettiHoop

Another fecking tosser that wasn`t even there.

I was there and I have to say don't disagree with that assessment of the new signings in two of the three cases. Gunter was extremely disappointing and looked very similar to Cummings when he first joined - absolutely terrified to cross into the opposition half. True, he started to push forward in the closing stages, perhaps as we got more desparate or maybe because he had more confidence in McCleary supporting him. Guthrie showed some promise but overall was disappointing and had relatively little impact. Pog was the best of the three but suffered from a dreadful lack of service for which McAnuff, HRK and Guthrie (brought in as playmaker) must take most responsibility.

Unfortunately I also spent the majority of the game thinking the team looked a little bit out of their depth and fearing what might happen when we meet teams considerably better than what was a distinctly average Stoke side.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 19 Aug 2012 10:47

ZacNaloen Find it odd Pulis is questioning how much advantage was given. By my count Less than three seconds between the foul and the penalty being awarded.

I think it's pretty clear, let the game go on to see if there is an advantage, if not pull it back to the offence. In this case play went on for the shot, that turned out not to be an advantage so we got a pen. I'm sure Pulis will say that advantage is being allowed to take a shot, but I'd disagree.