The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

1445 posts
BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 03 Mar 2014 09:26

There is so little between them, I do feel that the club favours McCarthy as he is home grown, English and a potential black hole mega-filler in a year or two.

As far as his kicking is concerned, thats one area where he is definitely weaker than Fedders, but in contrast to last season he doesn kick the ball out of play anywhere near as much, and that kick on saturday that went to a Yeovil forward was rushed, on his left foot after Pearce (?) passed it back to him at an awkward angle.

Doesn't excuse coming 15-odd yards out of goal, with the sun in your eyes, to try and punch an innocuous looking free kick that your center half could have dealth with if you hadn't just flattened him.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 Mar 2014 10:20

I'd give McCarthy one more game but you can't blame Adkins for making a change if that doesn't go well. Federici is an international goalkeeper desperate for playing time in a World Cup year, if he's been good in training he deserves a chance the same as an outfield player would.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 11 Mar 2014 12:20

Comparing both keepers @ Brighton this season, no debate.

One of the things Alex has to learn is the organisation of his back 4. Its not just the communication, so many times we are at 6s and 7s defensively this season compared to how with Federici behind 2 years ago we were a solid drilled wall of blue and white obstinancy.

Clearly in the long term Alex is going to be a sensational keeper, and given he was thrown into a PL relegation battle, he has had a superb run with sensational shot stopping ability most games. A spell away from the relentless championship concentrating on improving his organisation and distribution will do him good in the long run.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Mar 2014 12:26

Z175 Comparing both keepers @ Brighton this season, no debate.

One of the things Alex has to learn is the organisation of his back 4. Its not just the communication, so many times we are at 6s and 7s defensively this season compared to how with Federici behind 2 years ago we were a solid drilled wall of blue and white obstinancy.

Clearly in the long term Alex is going to be a sensational keeper, and given he was thrown into a PL relegation battle, he has had a superb run with sensational shot stopping ability most games. A spell away from the relentless championship concentrating on improving his organisation and distribution will do him good in the long run.

I don't think you can attribute the defense's success or woe to either keeper with any significance.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 11 Mar 2014 12:34

Extended-Phenotype

I don't think you can attribute the defense's success or woe to either keeper with any significance.

Those two goals v Brighton and Yeovil are painful, I don't remember Federici ever letting in a goal like them. Though his hands, yeah maybe, but not with no one knowing if the keeper is coming or going.

If the keeper is irrelevant why was the defence of Federici, Harte, Gorkss, Pearce, Cummings so much more solid than McCarthy, Obita, Gorkss, Pearce, Gunter?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 11 Mar 2014 12:40

Probably Gorkss.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Mar 2014 12:43

Z175
Extended-Phenotype

Those two goals v Brighton and Yeovil are painful, I don't remember Federici ever letting in a goal like them. Though his hands, yeah maybe, but not with no one knowing if the keeper is coming or going.

If the keeper is irrelevant why was the defence of Federici, Harte, Gorkss, Pearce, Cummings so much more solid than McCarthy, Obita, Gorkss, Pearce, Gunter?

Er, yeah, you probably can attribute their individual performance to them. Though I'm not totally excited by this revelation being pointed out.

How the defence play though; I've not really seen anything to suggest either keeper have significantly more control over them that would be enough impact the game and warrant discussion.

How that defence of Feds, Harte & Co. played was down to individual performance/form, managerial tactics and instruction, and overall team form, performance, dynamic, cohesion and confidence.

Point being, it would be odd to say it was because the keeper was better at controlling them.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Mar 2014 17:38

Extended-Phenotype
Z175
Extended-Phenotype

Er, yeah, you probably can attribute their individual performance to them. Though I'm not totally excited by this revelation being pointed out.

How the defence play though; I've not really seen anything to suggest either keeper have significantly more control over them that would be enough impact the game and warrant discussion.

How that defence of Feds, Harte & Co. played was down to individual performance/form, managerial tactics and instruction, and overall team form, performance, dynamic, cohesion and confidence.

Point being, it would be odd to say it was because the keeper was better at controlling them.

Funny then that (virtually) all clubs and coaches think it really important that keepers are confident communicators who take control of their defence!

Ian Royal RB I did say his chances were running out. I'm just saying a couple more games to make amends. Federici hasn't been at top form when he has played on the whole, so I'd rather stick with the devil I know who has room to improve.

He's made mistakes, some of them bad. But every player makes mistakes. He's not regularly dropping horrific clangers. He's essentially had two or three mediocre games recently at most. Federici certainly got more patience when he's been in the side.

I believe this was said before the Brighton game! Not regularly dropping horrific clangers? That's two in two and four in four if you count gifting fowards follow up chances by failing to hold onto the ball from relatively straight forward saves. I don't believe that Feds did get that level of patience.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 11 Mar 2014 18:10

It's because Federici is an arrogant, bitter Aussie.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 11 Mar 2014 18:22

LoyalRoyalFan It's because Federici is an arrogant, bitter Aussie.

Sandman's gonna get ya!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Mar 2014 19:07

Nah, he made it way too obvious.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 11 Mar 2014 19:09

sandman Nah, he made it way too obvious.

:wink:

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 11 Mar 2014 20:14

sandman Nah, he made it way too obvious.

I thought this could turn into a libertine Versus his own imagination type war. :cry:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2014 21:31

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal RB I did say his chances were running out. I'm just saying a couple more games to make amends. Federici hasn't been at top form when he has played on the whole, so I'd rather stick with the devil I know who has room to improve.

He's made mistakes, some of them bad. But every player makes mistakes. He's not regularly dropping horrific clangers. He's essentially had two or three mediocre games recently at most. Federici certainly got more patience when he's been in the side.

I believe this was said before the Brighton game! Not regularly dropping horrific clangers? That's two in two and four in four if you count gifting fowards follow up chances by failing to hold onto the ball from relatively straight forward saves. I don't believe that Feds did get that level of patience.

All keepers make mistakes. I think you're over-egging the severity of the majority of these mistakes he's made recently.

Maybe one of them has been on the level of Federici's dives over the ball last season. The rest more on a par with his poor positioning leading to a near post weakness or ability to palm shots across him out to a striker in the six yard box

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 12 Mar 2014 11:00

RoyalBlue
Funny then that (virtually) all clubs and coaches think it really important that keepers are confident communicators who take control of their defence!

Not sure what is funny about that, to be honest. Especially as I don't recall saying anything to the contrary. Maybe you said it in a funny voice. Anyway, I reckon you just need to read what I said again - I don't think I've seen anything to suggest that McCarthy or Feds are significantly different at controlling their backline in a manner that has notably impacted results.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 15 Mar 2014 18:58

Time for some controversy!

McCarthy got a lot of praise on BBCRB for his excellent one on one save in the second half. However, I think it will be interesting to watch the footage of that incident. Yes it was a good save. However, my view at the time (which was shared by those sat near me) was that, given where play was taking place immediately prior to the killer pass, McCarthy's starting position was poor. He then compounded this by being indecisive as to whether to go for the ball or stay back. Again, I thought that if he had come fast he would have been able to clear (Kaspars' reaction suggested he thought the same). My son reckoned that their player didn't get the ball under control until it was in our area which would also suggest that had McCarthy's starting position and initial reaction been better he would have been able to clear before their player got the shooting chance. Later on Grant showed how to do it as he came racing out to clear ahead of his defender and our McCleary.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Mar 2014 21:27

Persistence paid off with a clean sheet.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 15 Mar 2014 21:35

Ian Royal Persistence paid off with a clean sheet.

Not sure how you can offer any evidence to support the claim that the clean sheet was a result of persistence. Who is to say that Federici (or even Taylor for that matter) wouldn't also have kept a clean sheet. The 'excellent' one on one save certainly isn't conclusive because, as I mentioned earlier, I suspect video footage would show that McCarthy's poor starting position and hesitance had a lot to do with the situation arising in the first place.

If it doesn't show that then I will beg his pardon but it still doesn't mean that at least Feds, who is also a very good shot stopper, wouldn't also have made the save (McCarthy stood big and I think the shot came off the inside of one of his heels which was just enough to take it wide).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Mar 2014 00:26

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal Persistence paid off with a clean sheet.

Not sure how you can offer any evidence to support the claim that the clean sheet was a result of persistence. Who is to say that Federici (or even Taylor for that matter) wouldn't also have kept a clean sheet. The 'excellent' one on one save certainly isn't conclusive because, as I mentioned earlier, I suspect video footage would show that McCarthy's poor starting position and hesitance had a lot to do with the situation arising in the first place.

If it doesn't show that then I will beg his pardon but it still doesn't mean that at least Feds, who is also a very good shot stopper, wouldn't also have made the save (McCarthy stood big and I think the shot came off the inside of one of his heels which was just enough to take it wide).

I'm simply saying that the first choice player who'd made some mistakes was persisted with and we got a clean sheet.

McClearyFuseyChop12

Re: The Great Keeper Deb8

by McClearyFuseyChop12 » 16 Mar 2014 00:34

Libertine No debate. He's our #1 and he should remain so.

Next...

McCleary should start in goal against birmingham

1445 posts