We should have bought another striker!

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: We should have bought another striker!

by Royal Ginger » 03 Sep 2012 21:29

Maybe he has a fitness or a focus problem that we don't know about. I can't see why else he's struggled for team time so badly. Work rate perhaps?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Sep 2012 21:59

Royal Ginger Maybe he has a fitness or a focus problem that we don't know about. I can't see why else he's struggled for team time so badly. Work rate perhaps?

It's pretty obvious for me. In the Championship there wasn't a lot between him and Hunt. Hunt worked harder, off the ball and hassling keepers, plus had a great cross and a proven goalscoring record. ALF was unproven and would be anonymous for large parts of a game, but if he could make the step up would score bags of goals and had some cracking movement and passing.

At the time Roberts joined, ALF had been in the team on a barren run partnered with Church, so Hunt got the nod as the established man to play with him. Roberts and Hunt excelled, so ALF was restricted to subs. It was just one of those close calls that had to go one way or the other.

For all we know, he may end up starting 30 PL games this year.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Sep 2012 22:07

Royal Bahamas ^^^This.

He has shown some awesome flashes of brilliance in the past, and I believe that we shall see those flashes more often in the Premier, as long as he gets the play......

Flashes is it though. He had 4 or 5 opportunities against Stoke and failed though. Hopefully that was just the occasion getting to him and he'll come good once he gets used to better standard and learns what he needs to do to beat the better defenders.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Sep 2012 22:09

Hoop Blah
Royal Bahamas ^^^This.

He has shown some awesome flashes of brilliance in the past, and I believe that we shall see those flashes more often in the Premier, as long as he gets the play......

Flashes is it though. He had 4 or 5 opportunities against Stoke and failed though. Hopefully that was just the occasion getting to him and he'll come good once he gets used to better standard and learns what he needs to do to beat the better defenders.

He did beat the defenders though. He just missed the target by yards.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 04 Sep 2012 10:27

Should have got cox back

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 04 Sep 2012 10:28

lol

Davezk

by Davezk » 05 Sep 2012 21:49

Pog will grab some goals. If you look at his record at Fulham, it's not that impressive given he got 3 of the goals against a very poor Wolves side (my Dad is a Wolves fan, poor guy). I hope he'll get enough.

I don't think Hunt will get many if he couldn't score often in the championship.

Roberts is a great guy, always good to hear an articulate footballer. I don't think he's ever been prolific in the prem.

Le Fondre might poach a few but it's a massive step up from Rotherham now but maybe he'll follow suit like Lambert, Holt etc. even if he's a different type of player.

I'd be surprised if Church even gets a goal.

But who would we have signed anyway? When Rhodes is worth £8 mil, that just shows how inflated the market is. A foreign player is more often than not a blind punt. Let's hope West Ham striker Maiga proves me right.

harryroyal

by harryroyal » 06 Sep 2012 19:08

Davezk

But who would we have signed anyway? When Rhodes is worth £8 mil, that just shows how inflated the market is. A foreign player is more often than not a blind pcunt. Let's hope West Ham striker Maiga proves me right.

bit racist

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 06 Sep 2012 20:18

I'm happy with our forward options;
Pogregynak, Roberts, Le Fondre, Hunt, Church.
That's 4 decent forwards plus church, who should improve with the current squad to be a better player.

Liverpool have only 2 senior forwards, and we're above them in the table!

I'm very happy with our squad and think the scouts and board have done very well to obtain/ keep our squad.

Davezk

by Davezk » 06 Sep 2012 22:57

harryroyal
Davezk

But who would we have signed anyway? When Rhodes is worth £8 mil, that just shows how inflated the market is. A foreign player is more often than not a blind pcunt. Let's hope West Ham striker Maiga proves me right.

bit racist

Haha typical that the rare use of the word 'punt' is seen as the deliberate mispelling of ****.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 22 Sep 2012 16:52

Anyone care to disagree with me now?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Sep 2012 16:57

LoyalRoyalFan Anyone care to disagree with me now?

Cue the RTGs!

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 22 Sep 2012 17:08

You DO realize it's nearly impossible to disprove this sentiment? The fact that the hypothetical striker would be class, and improve/work well with the team is implied/assumed. So yes, assuming Abramovich-type money, we should have bought an extra hypothetically-class striker.

John Peel

by John Peel » 22 Sep 2012 17:42

True, but I laugh when I see someone like Church on the bench. If we thought Hunt and Church are premiership strikers then we are very naive.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 22 Sep 2012 17:46

John Peel True, but I laugh when I see someone like Church on the bench. If we thought Hunt and Church are premiership strikers then we are very naive.

It would be funny but McD ruins the joke by putting them on.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 22 Sep 2012 18:18

It's not the strikers who are the problem, it's the lack of service. I back Roberts/Pog/Alf to take chances.

However Pog was poor today; didn't hold the ball up, work the channels well or win many headers. We need to see that side from him with our style of play.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 22 Sep 2012 18:23

Le Fondre and Pogrebnyak are Premier League quality.
Roberts is past his best (and that was never exactly prolific) but will still add some much needed experience.
As for Hunt and Church well.....Maybe we should have loaned Church out and brought in another striker but I still have faith in our options.
We need a good team performance and win, so the strikers actually have a few chances to take. The confidence has taken a knock and that would get some back.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 22 Sep 2012 18:37

I don't believe we need another striker. For me, that's a nice to have, not a necessity. Anyway, we don't have one, so we have to use who we have.

I agree that Le Fondre is very promicing. He is and excellent goal poacher and makes great runs off the last defender - would have had a goal from this today, if he wasn't kicked in the head. For me though, he is not as much of a team player as Hunt, and doesn't link up with Pog very well, or create much for his strike partner.

Hunt is the opposite - he will make important tackles in midfield, gaining possession for the team, and create chances for his strike partner. He combines better with his partner and teamates and I suspect he might help Pog get a few more chances.

So, for me, I'd start Hunt up front with Pog, and bring Le Fondre on as a super sub, to score late goals, as he did last season.

When Robert's comes back? Not thinking that far ahead at present.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Sep 2012 18:41

LoyalRoyalFan Anyone care to disagree with me now?

I do and will, no striker can score goals without half decent service, which has been non existant again today!

Cypry

by Cypry » 22 Sep 2012 20:24

Don't get the negativity about Hunt - he played well against Spurs, put the through ball in for ALFs cross for our goal, and did more today than Pog did in the whole of the rest of the game....