We should have bought another striker!

Jimbo

Re: We should have bought another striker!

by Jimbo » 01 Sep 2012 10:33

RFCUK We've got plenty of strikers.

Pog has the potential to be one of our best signings of recent times. It's only been two games and we're still not even sure of who to play with him. Him and Alf could end up being amazing. Him and Roberts could be even better, with Alf as an impact sub, just like last year. We haven't fully explored the options, but I'm sure next game we'd have found something that works and settle in to it.

This international break will help us train together as a team, get people really match fit and put together all the pieces in the best places.

We've got a great selection of wingers, and decent competition for centre mid. We've the greatest CB pairing from the Championship last season, so there's no reason why they can't perform again at this level. And we have three top class keepers to choose from.

Forget a striker, just give the team some time to gel.

We've drawn against Stoke, not exactly a bad result, and we played out of our skins and narrowly lost against the European Champions.. I'd say that's a pretty decent start to the season. Look at the whole picture, not just 1 point out of 6, and the millions of pounds other teams have spent.

Steady on! We don't want too many sensible posts on here.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Sep 2012 11:21

Did McCLeary play as a striker for Forest last year? My thinking is he would be an option if we get the usual injuries and suspensions etc. We are having only our third year in the premiership lets just enjoy it. I am looking forward to beating Arsenal and then all the pundits saying how sh*t Arsenal played and how we had just caught them on a bad day. Bring it on!!!!!!

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 01 Sep 2012 11:26

Pog has the potential to be one of our best signings of recent times. It's only been two games and we're still not even sure of who to play with him. Him and Alf could end up being amazing. Him and Roberts could be even better, with Alf as an impact sub, just like last year. We haven't fully explored the options, but I'm sure next game we'd have found something that works and settle in to it.

This international break will help us train together as a team, get people really match fit and put together all the pieces in the best places.

We've got a great selection of wingers, and decent competition for centre mid. We've the greatest CB pairing from the Championship last season, so there's no reason why they can't perform again at this level. And we have three top class keepers to choose from.

We've drawn against Stoke, not exactly a bad result, and we played out of our skins and narrowly lost against the European Champions.. I'd say that's a pretty decent start to the season. Look at the whole picture, not just 1 point out of 6, and the millions of pounds other teams have spent.

End of thread

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 01 Sep 2012 13:48

Still time to get Owen on a free.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 Sep 2012 14:29

CavershamRoyal Still time to get Owen on a free.

But why!? Why the hell would we do that! What would he bring that we don't already have? Roberts is old, Pog is a big name, LeFondre is a poacher, Church doesn't score goals and HRK scores goals from no-where after hours of mediocrity. Owen's main traits covered.

He would be a good signing for the Reading fans who can't look beyond press heavy names for success.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 01 Sep 2012 17:00

blythspartan I am looking forward to beating Arsenal and then all the pundits saying how sh*t Arsenal played and how we had just caught them on a bad day. Bring it on!!!!!!

Spacey likes this.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Sep 2012 17:09

By the time Tottenham rolls around we won't have played a Premier League game for nearly a month :?

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 01 Sep 2012 17:09

Spot on.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 Sep 2012 20:41

Punctuation?

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 01 Sep 2012 20:42

I think your too good to post on these forums. I agree with everything there. Why spend £10million now and get to Janurary bottom and find out your stuffed as there's no money to spend. I expect we will do something in Janurary regardless of where we are but might as well spend then when we know more about how our team is coping

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Sep 2012 20:43

Pogregbnyak and Le Fondre - Premier League standard by my reckoning, albeit two games so far.

Roberts - Good enough and obviously experienced at this level.

Hunt and Simon Church - Very debatable. Championship level strikers.

That's 3 good enough for this level then. Where's the fourth or fifth?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 Sep 2012 20:50

At what point are we going to regularly play 4 or 5 strikers? Debatable can fill in for injuries, and may well pull one out of the bag.

Jimbo

by Jimbo » 01 Sep 2012 20:54

Yes, we should have spunked 8 million on a League 1 player, who's soooo good that no other Premier League team made any real effort to sign him. Why should we give our own strikers who got us to the Premier League any sort of chance to prove themselves.

Yes, we should have thrown money at Liverpool and Andy Carroll so we can hoof the ball even more.

It was so stupid to bring in Guthrie with his Premier League experience for free. And the less said about that McCleary the better, Jesus I'm glad we didn't spend any money on him. And don't get me started on the Pog, why get someone who has scored goals in the Premiership for free when we can buy someone for millions who hasn't even played in this league.

Free transfers are rubbish, we MUST spend spend spend.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Sep 2012 20:57

Where did I say that our recent transfers haven't been promising?

We needed Zaha here. If we are in the bottom three come January, Zaha will not come here nor will other targets.

I would love to be proved wrong though. I would love all the aforementioned strikers to score us the goals to keep us up. I'm yet to be convinced.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Sep 2012 21:07

6 goals, three games :?

Cypry

by Cypry » 01 Sep 2012 21:37

LoyalRoyalFan Where did I say that our recent transfers haven't been promising?

We needed Zaha here. If we are in the bottom three come January, Zaha will not come here nor will other targets.

I would love to be proved wrong though. I would love all the aforementioned strikers to score us the goals to keep us up. I'm yet to be convinced.

So we NEED Zaha? Why? How many goals did he score last year (fewer than Church I believe)? How many assists (same as HRK)? How would he improve the team? Who are you going to drop to include him in the starting lineup (I assume if you're going to spend £6M on him then you'll expect him to start)?

Seems bizarre to me that a player who scored less than Church, and got the same number of assists as one of our current players in the same league, is suddenly this years MUST HAVE, particularly as most of those clamouring for us to buy him seem to think that neither Church or HRK are "up to" the Prmiership.....

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 01 Sep 2012 21:39

Handsome Man
loyalroyal4life only regret is not getting rid of church

How would that have helped?

If nothing else, the average ability across our forward line would have increased significantly.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 02 Sep 2012 16:56

Cypry

So we NEED Zaha? Why? How many goals did he score last year (fewer than Church I believe)? How many assists (same as HRK)? How would he improve the team? Who are you going to drop to include him in the starting lineup (I assume if you're going to spend £6M on him then you'll expect him to start)?

Seems bizarre to me that a player who scored less than Church, and got the same number of assists as one of our current players in the same league, is suddenly this years MUST HAVE, particularly as most of those clamouring for us to buy him seem to think that neither Church or HRK are "up to" the Prmiership.....

Dear me, that's an atrocious post.

Why sign Zaha? Because he is a very exciting, direct, pacy, attacking midfielder with bags of potential, that's why.

What some fans don't seem to be swallowing is that Premier League football is about having a squad of players, not just a decent starting XI plus a couple of local kids on the bench.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 02 Sep 2012 16:57

cmonurz
Cypry

Dear me, that's an atrocious post.

Why sign Zaha? Because he is a very exciting, direct, pacy, attacking midfielder with bags of potential, that's why.

+1

Zaha or Robson-Kanu?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2012 17:06

Well if you're happy to smash our transfer record to marginally improve on our back up squad that's your prerogative. But there's not a lot to show Zaha is ready to step up and into the side now. Which is what we really need, if we want to be spending that sort of money. I certainly don't see a lot to say he's a better option than Kebe, McCleary, McAnuff, Guthrie, Hunt or ALF, which are presumably the players he'd need to oust to actually get in the team.

Zaha probably has a lot more potential than HRK, but I'm not sure he's actually delivered a great deal more than HRK has in his Championship time. So he'd probably be more for next season at best, which if we get relegated wouldn't really have made the money worth it. In my view anyway.