Rivalry

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rivalry

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 01 Nov 2012 10:37

You also have to factor in that fans can be ultra-conservative with their views about who "deserves" success - typically historically successful clubs do, and are seen as proper clubs, and everyone else isn't.

We've grown as a club. We aren't the club at Elm Park who'd get 4500 in the third tier, and that upsets a lot of people, especially those who used to be our "equals". To those who've grown up knowing us as a lower division club, they'll insist that's what we'll always be, despite the obvious evidence to the contrary.

We don't, as a club, do ourselves any favours by producing things like the stupid song sheet and clappers, but most of the criticisms levelled at us can be levelled at at least three quarters of the professional sides in the country.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 01 Nov 2012 11:02

Should we play Aldershot again, then some of our more recently acquired support will be in for a shock.

They really don't like us very much.

Royal Dee

by Royal Dee » 01 Nov 2012 11:12

Jerry St Clair Should we play Aldershot again, then some of our more recently acquired support will be in for a shock.

I didnt think much of them since im only in my 20s till i went to uni and found that people my age (18-21) hated us just because we are close in distance. In that case we should start a rivalry with Reading Town supporters. No logic.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Nov 2012 16:26

Royal Dee Aldershit actually do make me laugh, they spend their whole time talking about us rather than their pathetic excuse of a club. Heres their recent forum which was sent to me from one of there fans (not that they have many).
Cant see where all this hate comes from since most of them have never seen an aldershot Reading game... how they see us as rivals...

http://www.shotsweb.co.uk/mb/viewtopic. ... 9131b4b87b

Don't think anyone gives two shits about that shower of shit.

How have ever played Arsenal? :lol:

Ingham

by Ingham » 01 Nov 2012 16:43

larry1971
RepressedRoyal
USA_Loyal_Royal i always thought our main rivals were west ham united, or at least one of our main rivals. maybe that is a more recent rivalry then?
West Ham see us more as a recent annoyance than a rival, but I can guarantee that quite a few votes came in from them, detestable bunch that they are.

TBH, as a West Ham fan I've never really understood this "rivalry" between West Ham and Reading fans perhaps it's some thing that dates back to 2004 when Alan Pardew walked out on Reading to join West Ham and the bad feeling has just fested since then..

but I think the rivalry I've always found most curious is that between Crystal Palace and Brighton .

I overheard a West Ham fan slagging off Reading fans at work yesterday. Evidently we are ignorant etc, did not like the fact that we have "goal music (fair point), and seemed to have issues with considering Pardew as Judas in 2003. In reality I just think they do not like the fact that we have turned them over a few times in the recent past.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 01 Nov 2012 16:44

Jerry St Clair Should we play Aldershot again, then some of our more recently acquired support will be in for a shock.

Our Scorpions will fukk them in the ass! Just like their dads did back in the 1950s, when we last played them.

Bring it on! Bring it on!

Perhaps we could get the above slogan printed on our next round of cardboard clackers with "fukk off sh*ts" on the back?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2012 18:08

They've only got 2,000 fans though. I think we'll cope.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 01 Nov 2012 18:48

I hate oxf*rd Swindon Scumm

When the red red robin goes bob bog bobbing along Shoot the Bastard shoot the Bastard shoot shoot the bastard

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 01 Nov 2012 19:00

floyd__streete

Sadly the Brian Potter clip has been removed due to "multiple copyright infringements". Presumably Peter Kay sued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Og3IJSjmXs

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Nov 2012 19:58

Jerry St Clair
floyd__streete

Sadly the Brian Potter clip has been removed due to "multiple copyright infringements". Presumably Peter Kay sued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Og3IJSjmXs

No wonder they went under buying all those bed sheets from Reading Bedding.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2012 20:51

No wonder they went under.....they have miniscule support. Releg8ed again this season methinks.

Turnball ACs

by Turnball ACs » 01 Nov 2012 21:17

Mad days in Wokingham, when thay played Aldershit in the league, lots of Reading lads turned up and played up. And who can forget the copper with the turban......

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 01 Nov 2012 22:06

Aldershot as our new rivals ???? You can't make this shit up ! Aldershot are, and always have been our MAIN rivals. Even when they went bust and didn't exist, they were still our Main rivals.

Also, we are one of the neutral fans most hated clubs because our so called 'Noisy section' is monotonously irritating, boring, unimaginative and embarrassing!

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 01 Nov 2012 22:32

TheSiege You guys are really still living the past, are'nt you! Of course, if there are nearby clubs in the 92, they will be rivals in some ways, look at Man Utd and the rivalry with the non-Premiership clubs around them, look at Liverpool etc.

The worst thing in football is to not be even considered as a derby, or as competition. Stand up Oxford, Aldershot, Basingstoke - however!

RFC, with our new investment and the fact that we do'nt have a huge overdraft, our rivals are Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton etc. Have'nt some of you woken up?

We don't have a rival, nobody hates us and a few neutrals dislike us for being a happy clappy club full of middle class families.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2012 22:41

TheSiege RFC, with our new investment and the fact that we do'nt have a huge overdraft, our rivals are Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton etc. Have'nt some of you woken up?

Yes, this is true. We are of course competing against the listed clubs for a Champions League place.

Some people do WUMming with beautiful subtlety and reel in a few catches. You're not at all good at it, m8.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Nov 2012 23:22

TheSiege RFC, with our new investment and the fact that we do'nt have a huge overdraft, our rivals are Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton etc. Have'nt some of you woken up?

ALOL.

:lol:

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Nov 2012 00:12

OldBiscuit Also, we are one of the neutral fans most hated clubs because our so called 'Noisy section' is monotonously irritating, boring, unimaginative and embarrassing!

rather like about 90% of other clubs up and down the country then.