I am not enjoying the Premiership

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: I am not enjoying the Premiership

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Oct 2012 18:57

To be honest, it was a dour 1-0 win against Fulham back in 2006/07 that first got me thinking that the Premiership was a load of over priced, overhyped, over-rated load of cack and bar a quite scincilating 3-3 draw at Ewood Park, I've not seen anything since to make me change my mind. 5 clubs fighing among themsleves in a league of their own and 15 others shittng themselves and deparately hoping they are not one of the shittest 3. Leads to a pretty unexciting and pretty un-inspiring experience.

I don't think I've been this uninterested in a season since Ian Porterfield was in charge and quite frankly couldn't give a monkeys if we got relegated.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 24 Oct 2012 19:06

To all you posters saying you hope we go down again, if it happens can I assume you will be there next season in the CC?
Now just tell me what will be your aim as you watch us every week and cheering as we are near the top of the table?
Hoping for promotion maybe so you throw your toys out of the pram when we get there again?
At the end of the day being a football supporter is about seeing your team achieving the highest standing possible which is what we are doing now.
back in the 70s when I was watching on a rainy Wednesday night against Rochdale I would have given my right arm to see us where we are now. its unbelievable we have people that actually moan about it now.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Oct 2012 20:17

The Premiership is a great case of Emperor's new clothes. It may have the profile and the money and it certainly knows how to blow its own trumpet but it takes itself far too seriously and doesn't have the sense of fun. A lot of the people I see pining for more exciting days are, like me, those who have seen Reading in Division 4 or, if not old enough, certainly been there at Elm Park.

The Premiership isn't even that entertaining a league, A 5 teams mini league and everyone else scared shitless of going down, not exciting and at £25+ a pop, I want a bit more than some overpaid ego strutting about like he's even remotely important in the grand scheme of things. I don't go to watch them, I go to watch my team, the opposition are incidental. the day I give a flying oxf*rd about any of Tevez, Robin Van Persie, Hazard, Mata, Suarez, Ballotelli, Rooney, Aguero, Cisse, Ba, Walcott, Bale, Gerard, Lampard, Toure, Fellaini, Nani, Silva, Malouda, Mikel, Kompany, Collocini, Baines, Vidic is the day they pull on a Reading shirt and if that day never comes, so what? I want to care about the Premiership like I do about the Football League but I just can't. I turn up because I always have, not because I enjoy it.

Label me parochial or small minded, lacking ambition or whatever, I don't care.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 24 Oct 2012 20:24

windermere_royal To all you posters saying you hope we go down again, if it happens can I assume you will be there next season in the CC?
Now just tell me what will be your aim as you watch us every week and cheering as we are near the top of the table?
Hoping for promotion maybe so you throw your toys out of the pram when we get there again?
At the end of the day being a football supporter is about seeing your team achieving the highest standing possible which is what we are doing now.
back in the 70s when I was watching on a rainy Wednesday night against Rochdale I would have given my right arm to see us where we are now. its unbelievable we have people that actually moan about it now.

Football is about the days out.

I'll worry about the standard of football I'm watching when I'm an old, boring kunt.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Oct 2012 20:25

windermere_royal To all you posters saying you hope we go down again, if it happens can I assume you will be there next season in the CC?

not moaning, just saying, it has its plus points in teh championship, and i find both leagues enjoyable
of course ill be there in the CC- and my aim will for reading toi be entertaining, succesful, exciting, and go up again

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Oct 2012 20:26

I don't go to watch them, I go to watch my team, the opposition are incidental. the day I give a flying oxf*rd about any of Tevez, Robin Van Persie, Hazard, Mata, Suarez, Ballotelli, Rooney, Aguero, Cisse, Ba, Walcott, Bale, Gerard, Lampard, Toure, Fellaini, Nani, Silva, Malouda, Mikel, Kompany, Collocini, Baines, Vidic is the day they pull on a Reading shirt

^this x100000

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 24 Oct 2012 20:37

All good things will come to who wait and hope....

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 24 Oct 2012 21:16

glass half full All good things come to he who wait(ro)s(e) and ho(o)ps....

I'm chuffed with that. :P :oops: :roll:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 25 Oct 2012 08:33

I've seen the days of EP and playing in division 4 but I love where we are at the moment and I want us to stay there despite the fact that it is a division of no fun, of 2 or 3 separate leagues and the media not giving a toss about anyone outside the big name clubs. Yes Divisons 2/3/4 football is more enjoyable and actually competitive but I want Reading FC to be at the top of the game.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 25 Oct 2012 08:58

Barry the bird boggler I've seen the days of EP and playing in division 4 but I love where we are at the moment and I want us to stay there despite the fact that it is a division of no fun, of 2 or 3 separate leagues and the media not giving a toss about anyone outside the big name clubs. Yes Divisons 2/3/4 football is more enjoyable and actually competitive but I want Reading FC to be at the top of the game.

Apart from when we won the league 1st time round ;)

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 25 Oct 2012 09:57

Barry the bird boggler I've seen the days of EP and playing in division 4 but I love where we are at the moment and I want us to stay there despite the fact that it is a division of no fun, of 2 or 3 separate leagues and the media not giving a toss about anyone outside the big name clubs. Yes Divisons 2/3/4 football is more enjoyable and actually competitive but I want Reading FC to be at the top of the game.

If saying "I want Reading FC to be at the top of the game" means "having a chance of winning something" rather "seeing success as not being in the bottom 3" then there's a paradox in your post.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 25 Oct 2012 10:01

I'm not fussed about the prem, as I said the main problem I have is that it's nearly November and we've had 3 home games.

That's 5hit.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Oct 2012 10:14

Alexander Litvinenko

If saying "I want Reading FC to be at the top of the game" means "having a chance of winning something" rather "seeing success as not being in the bottom 3" then there's a paradox in your post.

Why do you think we have no chance of winning anything in the Premier League?

Teams like Stoke, Bolton, Middlesbrough, Fulham and Aston Villa have all made cup finals in recent seasons with budgets similar to ours.

Bolton also qualified for Europe via their league placing.

I'm not saying we'll be able to build a squad capable of challenging for the title anytime soon (though FFP should balance things out a tad) but there's no reason we can't get on to a par with teams like Fulham, Stoke etc who have been fighting it out with the big boys for a number of seasons. Expand the stadium and then suddenly we're in a similar position to Everton, Sunderland etc.

It's also not as if 30 years ago we'd have had that much more chance of winning the title either. The Premier League has had 5 winners in 20 seasons, The First Division only had 7 different winners between 1968-1992 so it's hardly as if it was a free for all that any plucky club could come in and win. :roll:

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 25 Oct 2012 17:43

Wimb It's also not as if 30 years ago we'd have had that much more chance of winning the title either.

True, and 30 seasons ago we were on our way back own to the old 4th division. How the times have changed.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 25 Oct 2012 19:11

Great post!

VOR

by VOR » 25 Oct 2012 21:24

[quote="Snowball"]Blinkered.

The championship sometimes has sides like Scunthorpe, Doncaster, Peterboro and Rotherham
and all bar a select few of the very best Championship players are also-rans at the bottom of the
Premiership, or warm Prem benches.

People on this board slag off Liverpool whose ordinary players would be Gods in the Championship,
and seemingly overlook Johnson, Gerard, Sterling and Suarez (and that a side currently below half-way)

It is a FABULOUS league with many, many, many brilliant games and some absolutely awesome players.

Tevez, Robin Van Persie, Hazard, Mata, Suarez, Ballotelli, Rooney, Aguero, Cisse, Ba, Walcott,
Bale, Gerard, Lampard, Toure, Fellaini, Nani, Silva, Malouda, Mikel,
Kompany, Collocini, Baines, Vidici, Cole, Terry

These and a hundred more. Jeez, how can you not want to watch players like this, teams like
The European Champions?

Sure we aren't doing well ATM, but if we stay up, 14th/17th and then next season we are 10th-12th
and the season after a top ten side, that will be magnificent.

All that currently worries me is the way we pay too much respect, sit back and then look awful.

It's against our team-nature and the nature of our individual players.

If we are going to go back down, let's do it with pride and honour, fighting like Blackpool.*

I agree with a lot of this, especially the last 3 lines. Not sure this is a 'fabulous league' - it is now being left behind by the technical quality in many of the other major leagues. Chelsea's Champs League win is the exception that proves the rule. So the Prem is expensive, over-hyped - and often very ordinary. Do you really think Walcott is an awesome player? If the Prem really was full of brilliant games it would be easier to forget that life in the Championship is much more fun for all the reasons others have quoted. there wre some great memories but one of my abiding memories from 2006-7 was just how mediocre so many of the other teams were.

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 25 Oct 2012 21:34

I'm bloody well enjoying the premiership. I was at uni/worked saturdays during our first two seasons so couldn't go to any games barely. So this time round I'm taking full advantage and have been to every game except Swansea away.

Yes we've been terrible but as far as days out go, getting to go to league games at Stamford Bridge an Anfield are a huge cut above the Keepmoat Stadium or The New Den.

This is the third most successful season in the club's history already and just by being here is a major achievement overall considering the fanbase/past financial power of the club. Those constantly moaning will be the ones who are first to desert the club if we get relegated and I for one won't miss them if/when we do. Let's have a bit of perspective....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Oct 2012 21:41

The Den was great last year tbf (bar the blowing bubbles crew).

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 25 Oct 2012 21:46

sandman The Den was great last year tbf (bar the blowing bubbles crew).

Very true, but I mean just usually you go there it's a soulless ground with no one in it!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Oct 2012 21:50

VOR
I agree with a lot of this, especially the last 3 lines. Not sure this is a 'fabulous league' - it is now being left behind by the technical quality in many of the other major leagues. Chelsea's Champs League win is the exception that proves the rule. So the Prem is expensive, over-hyped - and often very ordinary. Do you really think Walcott is an awesome player? If the Prem really was full of brilliant games it would be easier to forget that life in the Championship is much more fun for all the reasons others have quoted. there were some great memories but one of my abiding memories from 2006-7 was just how mediocre so many of the other teams were.

The players were just a list off the top of my head. Frankly, I think Walcott is an under-achiever
but in the Championship he'd be a GOD!

The fact that other leagues have a few great teams isn't really the point.
After Real Madrid and Barcelona...

The Prem does have great players and many great games. week in, week out.

I agree that some teams are "ordinary" but that is partly due to the way the league is set up,
with the top 4-5 teams creaming off the "special" talents and the rest having to play percentage/survival football

What amazes me is this idea that "many" championship games are great.

2-2 H Millwall
2-0 A Leicester
0-1 A Portsmouth DIRE
1-2 H Barnsley (Can't Remember!)
0-1 A Hull POOR
0-2 H Watford CRAP
2-0 H Doncaster (Can't Remember)
1-1 A Coventry POOR
3-2 A Bristol Great Comeback but not a great game
0-0 Middlesboro Can't remember it, but score tells a story
1-0 Burnley Nothing special. Lifted by very late winner
2-2 H Derby
1-1 Saints
0-0 Crystal Palace
0-1 Forest DULL
1-0 Birmingham (Can't Remember)
1-2 Cardiff (Can't Remember)
3-2 Ipswich DUNNO
3-2 Peterborough (Can't Remember. but think we were outplayed)

etc
etc
etc

Dramatic games at West Ham and Saints, but what other GREAT games were there?