Playing on the same side? The last taboo

313 posts
St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Playing on the same side? The last taboo

by St Pauli » 09 Nov 2012 13:42

Royal Dee
Starfish "2013 is a summer without a major international footballing event in Europe (unless you count the Women's European Championships in Sweden) and there are hopes that homosexual footballers will make a joint statement next summer in an effort to combat homophobia in football. An individual player would face a storm of abuse but it is hoped that if a large group of players across Europe make a united stand, the challenge will be an easier one to bear. .

Dont see why they have to make a stand and come out like its a witch hunt. In that case i expect every other player to announce their Heterosexuality too...
Might as well announce there political views while they are at it!

:|

It's not really announcing it though is it? It's making a point about not having to hide it, which is, obviously what they've had to do up until now.

Them 'making a stand' would show that there are gay players in the league, and that they can come out without fear of victimization*. This would in turn make it easier for gay players entering the professional game to not have to hide their sexuality.

Not really sure it's that hard to understand. Unless this is a WUM in which case...

*Obviously some pcunts would still do this but it would hopefully among the fans lead to a certain change in attitudes, as happened with racism.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 09 Nov 2012 13:49

Dont shiv a git, they can do what they want and Ill always support them until they start disrupting the club, (Rosenior, Guthrie?) then they can f off.

Much rather have a homosexual try harder than a straight KNOB.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Nov 2012 13:55

As the father of a gay daughter any campaign has my full support.

However, some players would I am sure prefer to keep their sexuality to themselves, so all power to those who want to make it public, but I hope that no pressure is brought to bear for any of them to go public.

In my experience of knowing many gay people through my daughter some are quite happy to be loud and proud, but others are more reserved and would probably find any attention unwanted.

Overall though I think it is quite sad in this day and age that anyone would actually see it as an issue at all.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 09 Nov 2012 13:57

I think the campaigns a good idea. It would take something like that for anyone in football to come out. Fair play to anyone who does but I do think they will get abuse from opposition fans.

Personally, Im not bothered in the slightest who in the squad is gay. And seeing as we'll probably be in the Championship next year, no one else will either.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 09 Nov 2012 14:02

Like most of you I also couldn't care in the slightest what footballers get up to in their private lives (as long as it's not animals or kids)

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Nov 2012 14:03

Ups and Downs
Fair play to anyone who does but I do think they will get abuse from opposition fans.

But that is 100% the same as racism from fans and would incur any fan found guilty with a ban for life from any respectable club – plus the risk of prosecution - so I just don’t see it happening.

There cannot be one rule for race issues and another for sexuality issues.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 09 Nov 2012 14:05

andrew1957
Ups and Downs
Fair play to anyone who does but I do think they will get abuse from opposition fans.

But that is 100% the same as racism from fans and would incur any fan found guilty with a ban for life from any respectable club – plus the risk of prosecution - so I just don’t see it happening.

There cannot be one rule for race issues and another for sexuality issues.

I agree, but is homophobia treated as severely?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 09 Nov 2012 14:08

Absolutely not. Most clubs don't accept it exists - or if they do a lot of the stewards in the stands don't acknowledge that or do anything about it. Ask any Brighton supporter.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 09 Nov 2012 14:10

Do they have separate shower cubicles nowadays or do the gay's and non gay's lather up in a communal bath - not considering this an issue?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 09 Nov 2012 14:12

Royal With Cheese Do they have separate shower cubicles nowadays or do the gay's and non gay's lather up in a communal bath - not considering this an issue?

Communal baths went out years ago - and nothing to do with sexuality. Health & safety....

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 09 Nov 2012 14:15

Starfish I work in the entertainment business...

giggle

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 09 Nov 2012 14:22

I'm out,not in a gay sort of way.....

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 09 Nov 2012 14:31

Starfish There are two Premier League teams in which 3 current first-team squad members are earmarked to come clean about their sexuality next year.

Surely as an organiser of this campaign, you of all people should know better than to term this as "coming clean"..... You make it sound like its something dirty.

As far as I'm concerned, any player who comes out, is not "Coming Clean" - simply choosing to let us know more about his private life than we would otherwise have known. Like many others have mentioned, it has nothing to do with any of us whether or not any of our players (or anyone elses players) are gay, bi or otherwise orientated - the only time any sexual interest is a problem is when it involves kids.

I hope this campaign provides a platform which allows players to be open if they want to be - but it won't make me support my team any more, or any less, if they let us know or not - they're human beings - they're just as entitled to a private life as any of us, and a private life is just that.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 09 Nov 2012 14:34

Fair play to those who do, and in the wider community scheme of things it will probably be a good thing, but I honestly don't care about anyone else's sexuality - be they a celebrity, politician, sportsman, or one of my mates. Each to their own.

But to help break down the barriers of those less liberal about the idea, this is a good thing. There's been a really good thread on AE about same sex parents, worth a read for those who've not seen it.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 09 Nov 2012 14:50

I don't see any real need for this campaign or for players to out themselves or 'come clean' as Starfish crassly terms it.

My guess is that there are quite a few gay players and it is probably well known to their fellow players.

Whether that should be broadcast to a wider audience is obviously up to the individual player concerned and if they feel that outing themself may in some way be helpful to the wider debate then fair play to them.

But I think they'll find that, like most people in the country, the majority of football fans either couldn't care less or do not have homophobic views.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 09 Nov 2012 14:52

reading_fan There's been a really good thread on AE

At that point you lost the crowd.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Nov 2012 14:57

Alexander Litvinenko
Mr Angry The sexuality of any person let alone any football player (for Reading or anybody else) is of absolutely zero interest to me, and its a sad state of affairs that in the 21st Century, in the Liberal, enlightened country that we purport to be, people still see this subject as an issue that merits debate.

That, of course is the way it ought to be.

But the fact that there are precisely zero publicly gay footballers, and that supporters of all clubs - including Reading - habitually come out with homophobic abuse based on lazy stereotypes, suggest it is still a big problem.

brighton fans are all gay
scousers are all unemployed and eat rats
reading are all middle class chelsea supporters

none of it true,(apart from the last one) just meant in jest, innit?

shirley all brighton supporters, when they hear the chants either think- yeah, fair enough, im gay, and proud, and yes my boyfriend is aware of where i am....or..... thats not true at all, i am not gay, so its therefore not aimed at me

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 09 Nov 2012 15:03

Norfolk Royal I don't see any real need for this campaign or for players to out themselves or 'come clean' as Starfish crassly terms it.

The suppression of homosexuality in football has already resulted in one death that we know of. There must be many others who have led lives of quiet misery.

This campaign seems entirely positive, although it's no surprise that there are plenty who would prefer to suppress it.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 09 Nov 2012 15:37

Bandini
Norfolk Royal I don't see any real need for this campaign or for players to out themselves or 'come clean' as Starfish crassly terms it.

The suppression of homosexuality in football has already resulted in one death that we know of. There must be many others who have led lives of quiet misery.

This campaign seems entirely positive, although it's no surprise that there are plenty who would prefer to suppress it.

Just a quick comment to add to the people saying it would make any difference in my support of the player or the club. I also agree with the above. I doubt anyone wants to come out and say publicly that they're gay, but they'd probably prefer to be able to go out with their partner without fear of being papped and having their carreer threatened.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 09 Nov 2012 15:38

Bandini

Not sure if you're referring to Justin Fashanu or not there. In fact he came out as gay on the front of The Sun in 1990 and committed suicide eight years later after he was arrested in the US for a sexual assault.

313 posts