Playing on the same side? The last taboo

313 posts
super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Playing on the same side? The last taboo

by super darren caskey » 09 Nov 2012 16:43

Yeah Justin Fashanu looked like he was facing serious jail time

**saying that ive just read the police wasnt going to pursue anything due to lack of evidence but he killed himself already :-( a very sad tale.Also his brother John disowned him for being gay...What a pcunt

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 09 Nov 2012 17:40

Starfish Do you think it will affect your support of Reading FC knowing that (potentially) almost a third of the starting line-up is openly homosexual?

This bit made me laugh, what absolute utter drivel.

harryroyal

by harryroyal » 09 Nov 2012 17:52

i wouldn't care. And if it was a crowd favourite that would be good because kids could have a role model who is gay which might get rid of homophobia. Sorry if this offends anyone but i think it's jem.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 09 Nov 2012 17:57

It is strange that this taboo still exists, but it is true that there are no openly gay professional footballers in the UK. Presumably they do exist, and do not feel able to "come out" for fear of the impact on their playing career and professional prospects. So its about time this "last taboo" was sorted out. Doubtless there will be a minority of Neanderthals who will not take kindly to this, just as there are still some racists around, but to hell with them.

Personally I don't care at all about the sexual habits of the team, providing they are legal. I'd far rather have a good gay player than an average straight one, any time.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 09 Nov 2012 18:16

Wouldnt affect my support in any way, and I think this would be the same for 99% of supporters. I would also guess it's Jem.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 09 Nov 2012 18:21

Starfish Hello everyone,
I've been posting on HNA? for just over six years now. Many details of my private life have obviously been disclosed in that time, but for those of you who don't know me, I am Irish (Reading fans' reaction to Doyle and Long was the reason I started reading HNA? in the first place), I now live in Germany, and I work in the entertainment business here. I am also one of the board's (it would seem) few bi- or homosexuals.

The city I live in, Nuremberg, is something of a centre of German football. The magazine 'Kicker' is based here, The German Academy of Football Culture, also http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_A ... all-Kultur A lot of the work I do is presenting and moderating on-stage events and I have gradually become involved in many football-related projects. One of them involves homosexuality in football and is due to become somewhat more public over the next year or so.

2013 is a summer without a major international footballing event in Europe (unless you count the Women's European Championships in Sweden) and there are hopes that homosexual footballers will make a joint statement next summer in an effort to combat homophobia in football. An individual player would face a storm of abuse but it is hoped that if a large group of players across Europe make a united stand, the challenge will be an easier one to bear. In England, the reaction has been mixed. None of the players from clubs playing in the Champions League or Europa League this season have so far been willing to 'come out'. Loss of sponsorship and what not, seem to be off-putting factors, but there has been a good response from the (apologies in advance) 'less glamourous' sides. There are two Premier League teams in which 3 current first-team squad members are earmarked to come clean about their sexuality next year. West Brom is one. The other is Reading, one of these players is (judging by comments on here) something of a fan favourite, and the club itself has been very supportive of the whole project.

So, my question, and the reason I put this thread on the Team Board at all. Do you think it will affect your support of Reading FC knowing that (potentially) almost a third of the starting line-up is openly homosexual? Would you prefer your players to keep their private lives to themselves? Do you think that being known as one of England's Gay Teams will affect the way you support your team? Opposition fans are obviously going to target this fact in future seasons, and it may well be a stigma that the club and supporters will have to carry for many years.

All feedback (positve or negative) much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I'm sure i read something about this in the Tipperary Star

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Nov 2012 18:55

I was wondering why our defence kept losing concentration. all those men in shorts running around

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 09 Nov 2012 18:59

Does anyone here remember Jimmy Rimmer?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Nov 2012 19:00

Ian Herring Does anyone here remember Jimmy Rimmer?

did he drink in the Roebuck?

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 09 Nov 2012 19:02

leon

Yes, he was known to like a John Courage and Light.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Nov 2012 19:03

Ian Herring
leon

Yes, he was known to like a John Courage and Light.

ahh the cottagers pint

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 09 Nov 2012 19:07

You know your beverages well, Leon.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Nov 2012 19:10

Ian Herring You know your beverages well, Leon.

green told me about that one

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 09 Nov 2012 19:20

leon
Ian Herring You know your beverages well, Leon.

green told me about that one

This is how it works.

PBR

by PBR » 09 Nov 2012 20:18

People say racism is a problem in the sport in the UK, which sure there might be some people who are racist but disguise it well. We don't have people shouting at Kebe "you dumb n" do we? No. Most of the racist posts on here (besides our beloved Ideal) usually were people having a relentless go at Lita or Bikey. Lita was a favorite of racists because of the rising opinion that he was lazy, a typical black stereotype that is rather sad to be wheeled out. For Bikey it was the uncontrolled primate type racism that Bikey wasn't a normal human being because he couldn't control his emotions, however no one compared Joey Barton to an upset monkey. Is there racism ? Sure... is it a problem worth warranting a society of black lawyers, multi million pound campaign to stamp it out? arguably no. For most of the footballing world and first world for that matter, England is a beacon of hope to the rest of the world. Homophobia is something I take very personal, having lost a few friends through it. I've heard casual homophobia through the stands in England when I lived there, and it really made me cringe. I'm not sure how teams like Brighton must be able to deal with it, every home game, every away game, "does your boyfriend know your here?" etc.. sure it's just banter, but it's weak banter and doesn't belong in the sport. Luckly in the MLS in the USA, we have pretty strong anti homophobic community. Boy scouts were dropped as a sponsor after only a year because of their stance of homosexuals serving in their club and even commercials featuring stars of the MLS tell people not to cross the line for racism, homophobia, etc.. in the end we can't censor everyone, everyone has a right to free speech, but once you start inpeding on others, there will be trouble. So it's time for england to finally brush off the huge ass chip on the shoulder like racism is as big as a problem as it was on a 80s, join the 21st century and start tackling homosexuality. This is PBR and I approve this message.
Last edited by PBR on 09 Nov 2012 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 09 Nov 2012 20:30

Caskeys Lovechild
Starfish There are two Premier League teams in which 3 current first-team squad members are earmarked to come clean about their sexuality next year.

Surely as an organiser of this campaign, you of all people should know better than to term this as "coming clean"..... You make it sound like its something dirty.

As far as I'm concerned, any player who comes out, is not "Coming Clean" - simply choosing to let us know more about his private life than we would otherwise have known. Like many others have mentioned, it has nothing to do with any of us whether or not any of our players (or anyone elses players) are gay, bi or otherwise orientated - the only time any sexual interest is a problem is when it involves kids.

I hope this campaign provides a platform which allows players to be open if they want to be - but it won't make me support my team any more, or any less, if they let us know or not - they're human beings - they're just as entitled to a private life as any of us, and a private life is just that.

Again I agree with this but these gay footballers must feel like they are having no sort of private life, unless it's behind closed doors. I'm sure that some gay footballers would love to be openly gay so that that can partake in pursuits, such as going to the the cinema with your partner, hand in hand walks in the parks nice meals out in fancy restaurant, late night visits to the local s&m gay sex torture dungeon, that us heteros take for granted

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Nov 2012 21:19

Quite frankly, the sexuality of anyone else is none of my business. It is a non issue in my eyes. However, considering the grunts, knuckle draggers and brain dead that frequent society, football matches and internet forums, I wonder if the campaign will get off the ground. The vitriol and venom from the likes of the Daily Mail and Daily Express will also be appalling.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 09 Nov 2012 21:31

I hope whoever it is follows Hunty on Twitter!

catfork

by catfork » 09 Nov 2012 21:42

Ups and Downs
Caskeys Lovechild
Starfish There are two Premier League teams in which 3 current first-team squad members are earmarked to come clean about their sexuality next year.

Surely as an organiser of this campaign, you of all people should know better than to term this as "coming clean"..... You make it sound like its something dirty.

As far as I'm concerned, any player who comes out, is not "Coming Clean" - simply choosing to let us know more about his private life than we would otherwise have known. Like many others have mentioned, it has nothing to do with any of us whether or not any of our players (or anyone elses players) are gay, bi or otherwise orientated - the only time any sexual interest is a problem is when it involves kids.

I hope this campaign provides a platform which allows players to be open if they want to be - but it won't make me support my team any more, or any less, if they let us know or not - they're human beings - they're just as entitled to a private life as any of us, and a private life is just that.

Again I agree with this but these gay footballers must feel like they are having no sort of private life, unless it's behind closed doors. I'm sure that some gay footballers would love to be openly gay so that that can partake in pursuits, such as going to the the cinema with your partner, hand in hand walks in the parks nice meals out in fancy restaurant, late night visits to the local s&m gay sex torture dungeon, that us heteros take for granted

Take for granted? I couldn't disagree more. Before going to the gay sex torture dungeon a lot of heteros have to sort out a baby sitter. I don't think that's an issue with both same sex couples!

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 10 Nov 2012 00:34

If a Reading footballer were to come out I would feel proud of them for having the guts. I would like to think it would lead to a domino effect of more players coming out and feeling comfortable doing so. Having said that players' sexuality is, frankly, none of anyone else's business. However, it is a sad reflection that gay/bi footballers should feel inhibited about the things heterosexuals take for granted - going out for a meal, bar, drink, movies with a partner, being affectionate in public etc.
Starfish I don't know if you are on to this but here in Oz, AFL (Australian Rules Football - which is the most popular sport in the state of Victoria with 80,000 attending the big games) recently had some of its stars take part in a an anti-homophobia campaign. It didn't involve players coming out but it was a highly respected and successful campaign - not quite sure how they measure these things but that's what they say. It is an odd thing about Australia, one of its contradictions really as in some ways it is quite conservative, but I don't think it would really cause much of a stir here at all if an AFL player were to come out. The response would probably very much along the lines of "fair dinkum' good on ya bud". Of course, there were will always be a few unreconstructed idiots with us - it's a question of shouting louder than them.
I wish you all the best in the campaign.

313 posts