READING'S ULTIMATE LEGEND

228 posts
Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: READING'S ULTIMATE LEGEND

by Avon Royal » 05 Dec 2012 22:27

Para Handy I can quite see how you've linked the two entirely disparate ideas together. It's because you're an idiot.

Get over yourself Grandad. :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Dec 2012 22:28

Knew that one would touch a nerve or 2. 8)

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 Dec 2012 22:28

But in fairness, Para, we knew that already.

Basically, if you weren't there, you'll never know.

You can guess, but you'll never know.

We know. We saw him. We don't need to guess.
Last edited by Man Friday on 05 Dec 2012 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 05 Dec 2012 22:29

It's like Last of the Summer Wine.......

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 05 Dec 2012 22:32

Oooh. Looks like I've been murked. Both Royal Rother and Avon Royal are now joking. Yeah right.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 Dec 2012 22:33

soggy biscuit Friday only played for the club for a short time, in the 4th division which was sh*t, at a time when football was sh*t and by most accounts acted like a oxf*rd to just about everyone and everything around him regularly not bothering to put effort in when he didn't feel like it. Oh but I forgot he got pissed a lot, dumped in someone's bag and scored from 300 yards after juggling it down the Tilehurst Road and pulling some flowers from his backside. What a leg, lol, top bantz etc etc

Another vote for Madejski here. Someone who's efforts have literally transformed the club.

Ah so you never saw him either.

P.S. He ALWAYS put the effort in. That was half the reason ALL the fans loved him. He gave his all. Every game. Well, every game I watched him which was every home game that he played in, plus half a dozen away matches.

Royal & Ancient
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal & Ancient » 05 Dec 2012 22:37

I remember Maurice Edelston very well. Not only as a footballer but as a tennis player. Captained the Pro Footballers tennis association and also commentated at Wimbledon. He played for Simmonds (the brewers for you younger HobNobbers!) in the Berkshire League at their sports ground off Berkeley Avenue. Played against him many times- very difficult to beat because of his energy, speed across the court as well as his ability. Simmonds usually won because they put a crate of beer in the opposition dressing room!!!
Top man in an era when most Reading players were local and approachable.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Dec 2012 22:38

Doubtless if Lee Trundle had quite the game after his time at Wrexham in the bottom rung of the English Leagues, then quit the game and shuffled off into a haze of drugs and booze he'd have been similarly lauded as being some kind of footballing genius.

Which would have been utter bollocks as well of course.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 Dec 2012 22:41

Barney If you talking LEGEND, then there is ONLY one. That is Robin Friday.

Let me provide you with some substance. I was fortunate enough to see EVERY game that the man played at Elm Park. I was also fortunate enough to obtain a ticket to the recently held "tribute to Robin Friday evening" held at the Reading Market place building.

So ignoring all the other threads on Mr Friday, let me provide you with some facts;

1) I was among the 10,000+ crowd when we played Tranmere in 1976. I saw the goal. I remember the goal. I can remember it now, 36 years later.
2) I was lucky enough to watch Robin play in a reserve game at home to Plymouth in 1975. He scored. He dominated the game. He quadrupled the crowd that night.
3) When his name WASN'T called out over the tannoy to start the game (pre txt, sky, ceefax and all that sh!te) the crowd would grown.
4) He was fouled beyond belief, yet was as hard as nails. In todays game, which I appreciate is faster, the current players would be out for WEEKS. Robin was hard.
5) I was lucky. I saw Friday play. He was unique. He was a lunatic, but you HAD to see him. Maniac. Super strong. Long hair. An heroic figure.
6) I've been a season ticket holder at Reading FC since 1981, and have hardly missed a home game since 1974, yet Robin Friday will ALWAYS be the most legendary player I expect to ever see at Reading.

I know that younger fans will not appreciate the continual plaudits for this man, but he was, quite simply, unique.

He was a great player. Hard beyond belief. Mad, but brilliant. Incredible skill. Dozens of ultra brave goals. Shocking disciplinary record.

The ONLY player in my 40 years of watching this game that would GENUINELY ALWAYS put bums on seats.

Legend. Mr Robin Friday. I am not religious, but thank Christ I watched this man play.

Death, Blackman, Hicks - all great great players for Reading. The LEGEND - that is the one and only Mr Robin Friday. RIP the great man.

^This. Watching Reading was never the same again after he left. The only people criticising the selection of Robin Friday are those that never saw him. Says it all.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 05 Dec 2012 22:43

Royal Rother Doubtless if Lee Trundle had quite the game after his time at Wrexham in the bottom rung of the English Leagues, then quit the game and shuffled off into a haze of drugs and booze he'd have been similarly lauded as being some kind of footballing genius.

Which would have been utter bollocks as well of course.

You're entitled to your opinion Rother. I take issue with your way of expressing it re: "No contest for the voters with morals, values and brain cells - Sir John Madejski." which seems to me to be fairly patronising, judgemental and a tad smug.

I think you're missing the point but that's only my personal opinion. Like I said before, I'll remember Robin long after I forget Madejski. I don't think the question was "who's done most for the club".

LOL at equating Lee Trundle with Friday though. Trundle being an appropriate summary.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Dec 2012 22:50

Para, it's a recurring piece of "fun" I have when Robin Friday comes up on here. I'm easily amused I suppose.

Maguire does exactly the same - and I'm sure with exactly the same motives. (Ups and Downs usually gets stuck in as well IIRC.)

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 05 Dec 2012 22:52

Para, what were your thoughts on Gareth Davies :?:

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 05 Dec 2012 22:56

Focher Para, what were your thoughts on Gareth Davies :?:

Much like yours I imagine Fochs. Ginger, bit of a twat, should never have got sent off, possible estate agent material.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 05 Dec 2012 23:04

Para Handy
Focher Para, what were your thoughts on Gareth Davies :?:

Much like yours I imagine Fochs. Ginger, bit of a twat, should never have got sent off, possible estate agent material.

yep, thats the answer i was looking for.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 05 Dec 2012 23:09

m8 ever thought of going fishing or just sitting around writing stuff in notebooks together? Like numbers or stuff...?

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 05 Dec 2012 23:13

Para Handy m8 ever thought of going fishing or just sitting around writing stuff in notebooks together? Like numbers or stuff...?

i think about doing that everyday, and it gives me a boner.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 05 Dec 2012 23:16

Focher
Para Handy m8 ever thought of going fishing or just sitting around writing stuff in notebooks together? Like numbers or stuff...?

i think about doing that everyday, and it gives me a boner.

:lol: I fear you're detracting from the thread.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 05 Dec 2012 23:21

8)

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 06 Dec 2012 05:25

Para Handy Oooh. Looks like I've been murked. Both Royal Rother and Avon Royal are now joking. Yeah right.

:lol:

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 06 Dec 2012 06:44

LUX
Para Handy Oooh. Looks like I've been murked. Both Royal Rother and Avon Royal are now joking. Yeah right.

:lol:

I know Lux, it's a great comeback isn't it? Almost Oscar Wilde like as a withering repost........ :lol:

228 posts