Re: READING'S ULTIMATE LEGEND

by UpThePrem » 05 Dec 2012 15:31

As a player - Steve Death or Robin Friday

Person who has done most for the club - Sir John Madejski

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 05 Dec 2012 16:42

soggy biscuit Friday only played for the club for a short time, in the 4th division which was sh*t, at a time when football was sh*t and by most accounts acted like a oxf*rd to just about everyone and everything around him regularly not bothering to put effort in when he didn't feel like it. Oh but I forgot he got pissed a lot, dumped in someone's bag and scored from 300 yards after juggling it down the Tilehurst Road and pulling some flowers from his backside. What a leg, lol, top bantz etc etc

Another vote for Madejski here. Someone who's efforts have literally transformed the club.

So how many times did you actually see him to make these stupid comments.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 05 Dec 2012 16:44

Graeme Murty

Involved from the start in our rise from div 2 to the PL and one of the most inspirational figures to ever grace the turf at the Mad Stad. Not the best player technically but gave it everything from start to finish every time he had the blue and white hoops on.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 05 Dec 2012 16:45

ankeny
soggy biscuit Friday only played for the club for a short time, in the 4th division which was sh*t, at a time when football was sh*t and by most accounts acted like a oxf*rd to just about everyone and everything around him regularly not bothering to put effort in when he didn't feel like it. Oh but I forgot he got pissed a lot, dumped in someone's bag and scored from 300 yards after juggling it down the Tilehurst Road and pulling some flowers from his backside. What a leg, lol, top bantz etc etc

Another vote for Madejski here. Someone who's efforts have literally transformed the club.

So how many times did you actually see him to make these stupid comments.

his and Maguire's posts scream "I'm so mature"

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 05 Dec 2012 20:50

Brendan Rodgers, revolutionary.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Dec 2012 21:06

Archie's penalty
Maguire
handbags_harris He is that highly regarded in these parts that even those that never saw him play, myself included, revere him...

Speak for yourself. Never saw the bloke play, he sounds like an arsehole by all accounts, and we've probably had several dozen better players since.

+1

+2 I appreciate he was amazing compared to everything people saw at the time, football (and life) was a little different back then, and he's provoked some excellent stories... but I'm not really comfortable with a club legend who was essentially a total waster who pissed his talent up the wall playing for a turd team.

Saying that though, by definition he pretty much is the club legend. I just prefer someone a little cleaner cut, like Death, Senior, Gilkes, Williams, Parkinson, Coppell, Madejski, Evans, Sidwell, Shorey, Kitson, Murty, Shaka, Sigurdsson etc.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 05 Dec 2012 21:15

Roger Smee did more for the Club than Madejski did/does in his megalomaniac dreams. Smee saved us. Period.

However, I would still plump for Friday. Whatever league we were in, however shlt, as previous posters have said, I have never known fans to pay and turn up just to see one player play. Me being one of them.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 05 Dec 2012 21:18

Ian Royal [+2 I appreciate he was amazing compared to everything people saw at the time, football (and life) was a little different back then, and he's provoked some excellent stories... but I'm not really comfortable with a club legend who was essentially a total waster who pissed his talent up the wall playing for a turd team.

Take it that you saw him play and knew him then did you Mr Know-it-all? No thought not.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Dec 2012 21:21

The usual mix of balls about Robin Friday and people who think it is SOOO fcuking funny to "vote" for complete non-entities.

Some things never change.

No contest for the voters with morals, values and brain cells - Sir John Madejski.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 05 Dec 2012 21:22

Robin Friday the most naturally gifted player I have ever seen or am ever likely to for that matter. Quite remarkable.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 05 Dec 2012 21:27

Gunnar Thorvaldsson

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 05 Dec 2012 21:28

Lolz. You clearly never saw Robin play. Not put effort in.. that's a laugh. Not sure where you get the "acted like an oxf*rd from". Is it secondhand from a book or something?

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 05 Dec 2012 21:36

Royal Rother The usual mix of balls about Robin Friday and people who think it is SOOO fcuking funny to "vote" for complete non-entities.

Some things never change.

No contest for the voters with morals, values and brain cells - Sir John Madejski.

Ha ha. You smug twat. When I'm in my dotage (shortly), I think, rightly or wrongly, I'll be reliving memories of Robin Friday rather than Sir John Madejski.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 05 Dec 2012 21:37

James Harper

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 Dec 2012 21:54

Maguire
handbags_harris He is that highly regarded in these parts that even those that never saw him play, myself included, revere him...

Speak for yourself. Never saw the bloke play, he sounds like an arsehole by all accounts, and we've probably had several dozen better players since.

Talking from a position of complete ignorance as usual.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 Dec 2012 21:55

higher Robin Friday the most naturally gifted player I have ever seen or am ever likely to for that matter. Quite remarkable.

Agreed.
Fans adored him. 'nuff said.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 05 Dec 2012 22:10

Shirley, Maurice Edelston is worth a mention.

An England international despite being of amateur status and a Reading career that lasted 13 years.

Anyone here see him play? He retired from playing in 1952. My father spoke of him in glowing terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Edelston

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 05 Dec 2012 22:12

Man Friday
higher Robin Friday the most naturally gifted player I have ever seen or am ever likely to for that matter. Quite remarkable.

Agreed.

Fans in the 70's also adored the National Front, insulting black players and beating the shit out of each other. The fact they adored Robin isn't much of a recommendation to be honest.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 05 Dec 2012 22:20

Far Canal Shirley, Maurice Edelston is worth a mention.

An England international despite being of amateur status and a Reading career that lasted 13 years.

Anyone here see him play? He retired from playing in 1952. My father spoke of him in glowing terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Edelston

Nope, Maurice Edelston was a bit before my time. Edelston Sports was a good shop though.

Joking apart, there's plenty of Reading players that deserve iconic status for us Reading fans. Parky, Murty, Gilkes, and the earlier players like the aforementioned Maurice Edelston, Maurice Evans and Gordon Neate who only played 99 games but served the club for a lifetime and is a bloody nice bloke to boot.

However, if I had to choose one player that I remembered most out of my lifetime it would be Robin Friday. Clearly, this makes me short of brain cells and lacking in moral values :roll: . That's my opinion.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 05 Dec 2012 22:23

Avon Royal
Man Friday

Agreed.

Fans in the 70's also adored the National Front, insulting black players and beating the shit out of each other. The fact they adored Robin isn't much of a recommendation to be honest.

Yeah, exactly, the good old days :roll: . I can quite see how you've linked the two entirely disparate ideas together. It's because you're an idiot.

228 posts