Arsenal: Back from the procession

197 posts
Lacoste

Re: Arsenal: Back from the procession

by Lacoste » 18 Dec 2012 13:19

melonhead
runrunrunrungilksey The TSI investment wasn't sold to us a new owner that has no money to spend, it was sold to us that they were a new owner taking us to the next level, one that cannot be reached without investment in premiership quality players, so what was the point of the sale?

their words were quite clear- we would carry on in our usual way, spending what we could afford
but we would have an owner who had some money to finance things here in terms of fees/wages/keeping best players, where JM had no money at all to give us.

ok, since hes joined hes only spent 10 million on the team, but thats 16 million more than jm could have

No wonder you haven't made anything of yourself in life, you fcuking yes man.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 18 Dec 2012 13:20

Snowball I thought Arsenal were BRILLIANT last night, awesome.

Not only did they have 3 midfielders who could play, speed, strength, movement
they also tackled like hell. They were so fast at closing down most of the time
and won ball that most sides wouldn't win.

I thought going forward we were quite good and we missed two gilt-edged chances, Pog early on
and McAnuff in the second half.

I WASN'T disappointed. Feds showed a bit of form, so did Pog, so did Jimmy
and Alf got another goal, HRK starred.

I had presumed a 4-goal defeat, so 2-5 was about where it should have been, or 3-6

I should like to hear Spacecruiser's thoughts on this sage analysis.

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 18 Dec 2012 13:25

melonhead hence why its an improvement

going into a prem season with harte as our only left back
cummings our only right back
church as one of our 3 strikers
only two CDs
and kanu and mcanuff our only two wingers
wasnt really an option was it

and given 5 million quid, how would you have sorted that mess out any better?

Along the lines of

Steven Whittaker Free
Michu £2.2
D Murphy Free
Hugo Rodallega Free
Claudio Yacob Free

There were plenty of other opportunities that we would have missed out on because we were chasing and looking at championship players and I still would have gone for

Guthrie Free Mid
Shorey Free LB
Pog Str

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 18 Dec 2012 13:36

Here's an Arsenal fans thoughts........

To be honest when I saw the line up’s and saw the Reading line up as a 4-4-2, I did think, no chance, Sky have got it wrong they will not play 4-4-2 but that’s exactly what they did but I think (there is a chance the system still could have worked). This is just my opinion but I’m sticking the blame squarely on the players shoulders, however they do seem average championship players. Where was Guthrie, i rubbed my hands together when I saw your midfield ?

Your strikers made me livid, Arsenal were winning but I was p!$$ing and moaning at the telly at the Reading players…..my mate who I was watching the game with even said ‘what the f do you care about Reading and what they are doing’ but I just could not believe what I was seeing, you got 2 in midfield and McDermot has blatantly told the strikers they need to help but their lazy strolling around and token closing down was ridiculous. Had the strikers pressured Arteta more, your actual 2 midfielders could have applied a bit more pressure on Cazorla and Wilshere and then when you establish possession you’ve now got two strikers to go one on one with our centrebacks, that is what I believe McDermot was trying to do and it was bold but against a brittle, mistake ridden Arsenal defence you could justify that boldness.

Also your matey on the left hand side of midfield should be shot!! How dare he not track back, you’re playing 2 in midfield as it is and do not have a spare man to help the full backs so it’s critical the wide man comes back, but tracking back was too good for him…..in my opinion these are the things put together that cost Reading possession and the game! After all this though, I would not stop believing you will stay up because you have something that most teams that go down struggle with and ultimately are the overriding factor that take them down, your team has goals and you could argue the defensive side is relatively easier to fix than the scoring of goals. Should’ve done Chelsea, went 2-0 up against manure and if the strikers had doen their job last night, who knows! One last thing your boy Alfie needs to start as in ALWAYS! I would have him at Arsenal - classy!

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 18 Dec 2012 15:42

Scutterbucketz I got back in time to hear Gary Neville nail exactly why we keep getting tonked and suggesting a way to stop it, by not not playing 442. Anyone else hear it on Sky Sports?

Missed the game due to illness (luckily!! ) and watched Sky. Even before the game Gary Neville was amazed at the formation we were likely to play and showed several example of our defending and how easy we are to play against. Said there was no way even Man U lined up for games as we do, particularly against a team like Arsenal.
We as fans can see it, pundits can see it, why on earth does McD persist. He says he will get newdefenders in Jan but they will be under exactly the same pressure if we carry on playing the same system. I live in Bristol and it is downright embarrasing trying to defend the team after displays such as this. I can take losing, after 50 years of supporting I can say I have had my share of pisstaking but we look completely amateurish at the moment

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Dec 2012 16:38

I wonder how many fans going to the game would have been thinking "Arsenal play 3 in midfield and are such good passers that we have to at least match them and go with 3".
How obvious is it?
How naive are our coaches and manager?
And yet we had to get to 4-0 down before they did the bleedin obvious and went like-for-like.
Surprise, surprise for a few minutes we were not completely over-run and with Arsenal starting to go through the motions and cruise we actually got a couple of goals.

This is not the Arsenal of a few years ago brimming with confidence,this was an Arsenal beaten by Swansea and Bradford in the past few days so obviously the manager must have told the players to get at them as their confidence would be low-what do they do?
They stand and admire and the inevitable happens not once,not twice but three times just in the first half.

I listened to our manager on Radio Berks afterwards.
He is such a nice bloke that it is impossible not to like him and becauuse of that nobody wants to see him out of a job but when he goes on again about the great effort and where we have come from blah,blah,blah it is just a number of meaningless words especially when we "move on" and "we are always better after Christmas"-surely we can't be any worse,can we?.
He also said that if we bring players in during January they have to be ready to hit the ground running and know what the Premier League is all about-IMHO that means more oldies of the Gorkss and Ledge variety or maybe another Bryn or Ian Harte.
No Brian we want young and energetic players as our overall play is so slow all over the pitch apart from when we get the ball to our wide men.

Apart from the poor set-up of the side (4-4-2) there are two things that my brother and I latched onto last season as bad habits.
Firstly we let teams run at us through the middle inviting them to shoot-in the Championship we got away with it generally because the shooting was poor but at this level it is openly asking for trouble.
Secondly this nonsense of the right-back in particular tucking-in alongside the centre-back,leaving acres of room out wide.
We did it then and we continue to do it and continue to make life so easy for the opposition.

A Sunday League manager would recognise these two dreadful limitations in our play so no wonder opposition managers spot these weaknesses and make the most of them.
I bet Wally Downes would recognise these faults and I just don't get why,with all the video equipment etc. Messrs Gibbs and McDermott don't see it.
I have come to the conclusion that their coaching and management techniques are centred around having a happy ship,whack the ball forward as quuickly as possible and hope that there might be somebody handy to take advanntage now and again.
It is all very amateurish and they are all falling short of what is needed at this higher level-it worked for a while for the Crazy Gang at Wimbledon and longer than it will for us because their players were also aggressive with it whereas our lot are just a bunch of softies.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 18 Dec 2012 16:48

Victor Meldrew I listened to our manager on Radio Berks afterwards.

'Well at least we saw 7 goals today, the crowd were entertained'

Another rather pathetic statement from McDermott.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 18 Dec 2012 16:51

LoyalRoyalFan
Victor Meldrew I listened to our manager on Radio Berks afterwards.

'Well at least we saw 7 goals today, the crowd were entertained'

Another rather pathetic statement from McDermott.[/quot

Probably the worst thing that happened was getting the two goals back, it left the door open for unwarrented statements about spirit and matching them 2nd half. We were dreadful and 24 hours later other than getting home quickly I still can't think of a positive from last night.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 18 Dec 2012 17:05

Genuinely embarrassed last night; not so much at the result but at how we looked totally unprofessional and failed to compete.

We are getting dangerously close to becoming a team that is pitied by other fans, and that is even worse than being ignored.

If we are to go down this season (as is all but a certainty) then please lets go down by giving it a real go, as at the moment, we are going to be relegated without so much as a whimper and that is simply unacceptable.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Dec 2012 17:05

runrunrunrungilksey
melonhead hence why its an improvement

going into a prem season with harte as our only left back
church as one of our 3 strikers
only two CDs
and kanu and mcanuff our only two wingers
wasnt really an option was it

and given 5 million quid, how would you have sorted that mess out any better?

Along the lines of

Steven Whittaker Free
Michu £2.2
D Murphy Free
Hugo Rodallega Free
Claudio Yacob Free

There were plenty of other opportunities that we would have missed out on because we were chasing and looking at championship players and I still would have gone for

Guthrie Free Mid
Shorey Free LB
Pog Str

ill give you michu as the only one we cou,ld have afforded who would have added alot to this team - but he was already going to swansea

milyondollasmile

by milyondollasmile » 18 Dec 2012 17:10

First of all let me put some of you twats straight! I'm not happy about what happened last nite. I have spoken to a reliable source in the club.

1. McDermot doesn't review past games at all! (Crazy if you ask me )
2. McDermot doesn't do any specific defensive work,drills,etc...
3. McDermot doesn't have a clue about tactics or planning, patterns of play, tactical subs etc.....
4. Before the game McDermot said to the squad' we're not gona change the formation we're gona stay 4-4-2 because that's the Reading way.'
5. Before each game the squad have 5-10 min discussion on the opposition?

Now to the game

We started brightly and really should of been 1-0 up. For me pog should of smashed it from there. The main battle was in Midfield, with the quality of arsenals three no one gave ledge of tabby any help? so what are you meant to do? The strikers didn't help enough especially the pog. And one of the centre half's has to step up to squeeze up the space. McDermot changed it at half time by that time it was too late!
Let's discuss some of the players:
Gorks/mariappa- both too reactive didn't read the game and organise, also they kept giving the ball away straight back to arsenal
Cummings- had a poor game positionally all over the place and distribution was awful.
Kebe- how the hell are people not slating him? Alrite he scored but he done absolutely fcuck all! (Waste of space)
Ledge- I felt sorry for ledge he hasn't been great so far this season but he can't be blamed for yesterday yes he gave the ball away but more then anyone else I don't think so, a couple of times I think he should of held the ball and wait for something to develop but like others he was forcing the pass. Why? Because he wasn't given any options the wingers and strikers were not moving to support ledge or tabby quick enough. And because of how they lined up they were chasing shadows. Let me ask you? How many teams in the prem can play two CM against santi,arteta and wilshire?
Jobi- was having a bit of joy against sagna but overall not a great display he wasn't very effective when he moved inside but worked hard and should of buried that chance towards the end.
Noel/pog weren't totally effective, tried but were too slow to support the midfield its like they only know how to run forward
Hal- excellent when he came on a breath of fresh air not everything came off but he was exactly what was needed showed good feet and vision at times.

For me we lost that game before it started. if Mcdermot doesn't work on our weaknesses doesn't plan or give decent instructions and is too rigid to make tactical changes then we might aswell start getting ready for the championship. That's my rant over if you chose to reply its up to you but I don't give a flying fcuk I call it how I see it!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Dec 2012 17:11

3. McDermot doesn't have a clue about tactics or planning, patterns of play, tactical subs etc.....
4. Before the game McDermot said to the squad' we're not gona change the formation we're gona stay 4-4-2 because that's the Reading way.'

i know for a FACT that 3 of those are utter rubbish

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Dec 2012 17:27

melonhead

You are becoming ever more tedious by your constant standing up for all things that the club does or does not do and have become as boring as Spacey (and that takes some doing).
Why do you immediately question what this poster has written?
Why can't you find it withn yourself to think that he is right and is just passing on what he has heard?
BTW which THREE do you know to be rubbbish and when replying you can perhaps inform us fully about what goes on before games as you clearly know all that happens within the inner sanctum of RFC?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Dec 2012 17:28

Lacoste
melonhead
runrunrunrungilksey The TSI investment wasn't sold to us a new owner that has no money to spend, it was sold to us that they were a new owner taking us to the next level, one that cannot be reached without investment in premiership quality players, so what was the point of the sale?

their words were quite clear- we would carry on in our usual way, spending what we could afford
but we would have an owner who had some money to finance things here in terms of fees/wages/keeping best players, where JM had no money at all to give us.

ok, since hes joined hes only spent 10 million on the team, but thats 16 million more than jm could have

No wonder you haven't made anything of yourself in life, you fcuking yes man.

how rude

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Dec 2012 17:29

royalsteve Gorrks 1 - woeful league 1 at best

empty, short-memoried rhetoric like this makes me sad. He isn't a woeful league one at best player. He's won the Championship twice and proved he's a top quality Championship player. Just because he's having a bad season and not good enough for this league doesn't mean all his other achievements suddenly didn't happen.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Dec 2012 17:30

Victor Meldrew
melonhead

You are becoming ever more tedious by your constant standing up for all things that the club does or does not do and have become as boring as Spacey (and that takes some doing).
Why can't you find it withn yourself to think that he is right and is just passing on what he has heard?
BTW which THREE do you know to be rubbbish and when replying you can perhaps inform us fully about what goes on before games as you clearly know all that happens within the inner sanctum of RFC?

It's probably because it's obviously a pile of horseshit and being unhappy about how things are going doesn't mean accepting ever pile of steaming bullshit someone wants to make up to beat the club with.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Dec 2012 17:34

Victor Meldrew
melonhead

because i know for a fact that three of them are not correct, or misplaced.
but thanks for taking an interest, and speniding time informing me of your thoughts.

1. is not correct at all.
2. is technically correct, but gibbs is the defensive coach, so he takes those sessions
5. im sure this is true,they will have a discussion before the game, but its on top of alot more info on the opposition they are given and drilled on, not in isolation

3. is subjective, and can only be known by someone who inhabits brians head
4.is unknowable unless you are his made up "source", either that or it has been made up by his source

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 18 Dec 2012 17:36

runrunrunrungilksey Here's an Arsenal fans thoughts........

To be honest when I saw the line up’s and saw the Reading line up as a 4-4-2, I did think, no chance, Sky have got it wrong they will not play 4-4-2 but that’s exactly what they did but I think (there is a chance the system still could have worked). This is just my opinion but I’m sticking the blame squarely on the players shoulders, however they do seem average championship players. Where was Guthrie, i rubbed my hands together when I saw your midfield ?

Your strikers made me livid, Arsenal were winning but I was p!$$ing and moaning at the telly at the Reading players…..my mate who I was watching the game with even said ‘what the f do you care about Reading and what they are doing’ but I just could not believe what I was seeing, you got 2 in midfield and McDermot has blatantly told the strikers they need to help but their lazy strolling around and token closing down was ridiculous. Had the strikers pressured Arteta more, your actual 2 midfielders could have applied a bit more pressure on Cazorla and Wilshere and then when you establish possession you’ve now got two strikers to go one on one with our centrebacks, that is what I believe McDermot was trying to do and it was bold but against a brittle, mistake ridden Arsenal defence you could justify that boldness.

Also your matey on the left hand side of midfield should be shot!! How dare he not track back, you’re playing 2 in midfield as it is and do not have a spare man to help the full backs so it’s critical the wide man comes back, but tracking back was too good for him…..in my opinion these are the things put together that cost Reading possession and the game! After all this though, I would not stop believing you will stay up because you have something that most teams that go down struggle with and ultimately are the overriding factor that take them down, your team has goals and you could argue the defensive side is relatively easier to fix than the scoring of goals. Should’ve done Chelsea, went 2-0 up against manure and if the strikers had doen their job last night, who knows! One last thing your boy Alfie needs to start as in ALWAYS! I would have him at Arsenal - classy!

Now this is a really good assesment of what we have at Reading. It is also just about verbatem of what we DID DO last year. Brian got a team together last year who where prepared to do the work as a TEAM! That just jas not evolved this year in the Prem.......... The PLAYERS need to get their act together.....NOW!

I also agree about ALFIE. The more he plays, the better he gets. I still believe that Europe will come calling for him ......

Hertfordshire Royal

by Hertfordshire Royal » 18 Dec 2012 18:06

milyondollasmile First of all let me put some of you twats straight! I'm not happy about what happened last nite. I have spoken to a reliable source in the club.

Now to the game

We started brightly and really should of been 1-0 up. For me pog should of smashed it from there. The main battle was in Midfield, with the quality of arsenals three no one gave ledge of tabby any help? so what are you meant to do? The strikers didn't help enough especially the pog. And one of the centre half's has to step up to squeeze up the space. McDermot changed it at half time by that time it was too late!
Let's discuss some of the players:
Gorks/mariappa- both too reactive didn't read the game and organise, also they kept giving the ball away straight back to arsenal
Cummings- had a poor game positionally all over the place and distribution was awful.
Kebe- how the hell are people not slating him? Alrite he scored but he done absolutely fcuck all! (Waste of space)
Ledge- I felt sorry for ledge he hasn't been great so far this season but he can't be blamed for yesterday yes he gave the ball away but more then anyone else I don't think so, a couple of times I think he should of held the ball and wait for something to develop but like others he was forcing the pass. Why? Because he wasn't given any options the wingers and strikers were not moving to support ledge or tabby quick enough. And because of how they lined up they were chasing shadows. Let me ask you? How many teams in the prem can play two CM against santi,arteta and wilshire?
Jobi- was having a bit of joy against sagna but overall not a great display he wasn't very effective when he moved inside but worked hard and should of buried that chance towards the end.
Noel/pog weren't totally effective, tried but were too slow to support the midfield its like they only know how to run forward
Hal- excellent when he came on a breath of fresh air not everything came off but he was exactly what was needed showed good feet and vision at times.

For me we lost that game before it started. if Mcdermot doesn't work on our weaknesses doesn't plan or give decent instructions and is too rigid to make tactical changes then we might aswell start getting ready for the championship. That's my rant over if you chose to reply its up to you but I don't give a flying fcuk I call it how I see it!

Is this Danny Guthrie??? :shock:

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 18 Dec 2012 18:20

I really hope the coaching staff recorded all of skys coverage last night (start and end) as Gary Neville was completely spot on with everything he said - he even highlighted pre match how many goals we'd conceded from low crosses from the left pulled back from the byline for opponents making late runs.

197 posts