5 worst teams in Premier League history

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Reading West

5 worst teams in Premier League history

by Reading West » 19 Dec 2012 10:06

Was looking at an interesting article on the bleachers report website:-

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1037 ... ue-history

On it's stats on the 5 worst teams in PL history

Click on it and enjoy reading, and wonder based on our current form is there any chance of us avoiding gatecrashing this "elusive" group :cry:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: 5 worst teams in Premier League history

by Snowball » 19 Dec 2012 10:11

I like this bit

What some have been saying since December 2011

However there have been five teams over the last 18 years that have been so bad
it is difficult to understand how they ever got to the Premier league in the first place.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Dec 2012 10:38

Personally for me, the worst teams are the ones that have spent the money and gone down. Why we should be in that group I don't know, scored plenty of goals. If there was a "worst defence" record then possibly. For me the likes of Newcastle who went down with their beloved Shearer in charge and bags of talent on high wages, or West Ham with all the talent they had. Its a stupid article.

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 19 Dec 2012 10:40

Bleacher Report is a oxf*rd dreadful website and I refuse to pay any attention to a single word they write.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Dec 2012 10:49

Snowball I like this bit

What some have been saying since December 2011

However there have been five teams over the last 18 years that have been so bad
it is difficult to understand how they ever got to the Premier league in the first place.

Well if it helps, Leicester had been in it for six seasons. Three of the other four went up as play-off winners and only Sunderland came up automatically.

Maybe that clears things up a little.

REMTARDROYAL

by REMTARDROYAL » 19 Dec 2012 12:41

The Sunderland one's pretty funny. They went down, setting a record and then came back up again as champions shortly after (play off season in between?), only to ... set a new record low. :|

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 19 Dec 2012 13:20

I think only Derby could be considered worse than us. Interesting quote about Derby's lack of investment in the squad and the inevitability of their disastrous season. Anton, take note.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 19 Dec 2012 14:09

Big Ern I think only Derby could be considered worse than us. Interesting quote about Derby's lack of investment in the squad and the inevitability of their disastrous season. Anton, take note.

If by "interesting" you mean completely misleading then i'd agree with you.

There's a real misconception about what Derby did when they got promoted that summer. It wasn't QPR or Saints style spending but Billy Davies bought almost an entire team in that summer (and then did his usual trick of telling anyone who will listen that he needed more) and then they sacked him at great expense.They replaced him at further great expense with Paul Jewell who bought another raft of players in January. They got even worse and were relegated whereby Jewell was given even more money to buy yet another team in the Championship.

They've spent the last few seasons under Clough reducing the wage bill and paying off some of those players who were on daft money and only now are they starting to see the wood from the trees with a couple of really promising Academy prospects coming through.

I hope we do look take note of the Derby example but not in the way some on here seem to think.

REMTARDROYAL

by REMTARDROYAL » 19 Dec 2012 14:15

My memory was that they didn't quite go overboard and buy a new team in the summer but then panicked hard in the January - Laurent Robert stands out, but also Stubbs and Savage

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 19 Dec 2012 14:31

Davies bought 11 players that summer, including the likes of Kenny Miller and Rob Earnshaw for a combined 7-8 million.

Davies is always pleading poverty but this myth surrounding Derby not making money available for transfers has grown so much it needs to be corrected. You're right though, Jewell definitely spent big again and tried to bring top league experience in. That failed dismally too.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 19 Dec 2012 15:08

Vision Davies bought 11 players that summer, including the likes of Kenny Miller and Rob Earnshaw for a combined 7-8 million.

Davies is always pleading poverty but this myth surrounding Derby not making money available for transfers has grown so much it needs to be corrected. You're right though, Jewell definitely spent big again and tried to bring top league experience in. That failed dismally too.

What my Derby supporting mate said about that season.....

Our disastrous 07/08 season was down to a number of factors, one of them being in the 06/07 promotion season, we were brillinat up to January then made poor signings and crawled over the line to get up to the PL. Once there, our chairman made a big financial error, saying he was going to give us a brand new squad, which was much needed, but under estimating Prem wages. We therefore got barely anyone in, certainly no one of PL quality as our chairman wouldn't pay the money. So by the close of the transfer window I (and most rams) knew we were oxf*rd with a team low on confidence and very low on quality.

From there, we had a change of board and manager, but the rot had set in, and too many changes were made in too short a space of time, and no one good would join us because we were cut adrift by Jan, so Jewell gambeled on players like Robert, and pretty much all his gambles backfired.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 19 Dec 2012 15:27

Wimb
Vision Davies bought 11 players that summer, including the likes of Kenny Miller and Rob Earnshaw for a combined 7-8 million.

Our disastrous 07/08 season was down to a number of factors, one of them being in the 06/07 promotion season, we were brillinat up to January then made poor signings and crawled over the line to get up to the PL. Once there, our chairman made a big financial error, saying he was going to give us a brand new squad, which was much needed, but under estimating Prem wages. We therefore got barely anyone in, certainly no one of PL quality as our chairman wouldn't pay the money. So by the close of the transfer window I (and most rams) knew we were oxf*rd with a team low on confidence and very low on quality.

From there, we had a change of board and manager, but the rot had set in, and too many changes were made in too short a space of time, and no one good would join us because we were cut adrift by Jan, so Jewell gambeled on players like Robert, and pretty much all his gambles backfired.

I've actually had a quick check just to make sure my memory isn't playing tricks. They bought 10 players that summer including the aforementioned Miller for 3m and Earnshaw for 3.5m plus walking redcard Claude Davis for 3m amongst others. They also spent knocking on 4m in January on a handful of players too which is why my hackles always rise when i hear Billy Davies do his Oliver Twist routine. If you add in Jewell's January spend as well then in 12 months they coughed up a small fortune in transfer fees and bought almost a full squad of players. No idea of the wages of course and I've no doubt that Jewell's half dozen signings would have been on a heftier wedge than Davies' but 10 new Premieship players aren't going to come that cheap.

Like I say it's a bit of a myth that they spent nothing but it is worth noting given their subsequent struggles.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 19 Dec 2012 17:26

interesting article. i dont believe that we will be in the 5 worst by the end of the season. i still have some faith well come out and put together a decent run.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Dec 2012 17:56

At least we won't be pushing Swindon off the list.

Went a bit easy on Sunderland only mentioning one of their seasons. They beat their own record the year they got 15, they set it at 18 two year's before and would have been relegated in almost every PL season even if you added both year's points tallies together.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 19 Dec 2012 18:02

Ascotexgunner Personally for me, the worst teams are the ones that have spent the money and gone down.

Why??? Worst is worst, regardless.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 19 Dec 2012 18:04

Wimb

The main reason has been highlighted.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Dec 2012 19:22

Vision
Wimb

I've actually had a quick check just to make sure my memory isn't playing tricks. They bought 10 players that summer including the aforementioned Miller for 3m and Earnshaw for 3.5m plus walking redcard Claude Davis for 3m amongst others. They also spent knocking on 4m in January on a handful of players too which is why my hackles always rise when i hear Billy Davies do his Oliver Twist routine. If you add in Jewell's January spend as well then in 12 months they coughed up a small fortune in transfer fees and bought almost a full squad of players. No idea of the wages of course and I've no doubt that Jewell's half dozen signings would have been on a heftier wedge than Davies' but 10 new Premieship players aren't going to come that cheap.

Like I say it's a bit of a myth that they spent nothing but it is worth noting given their subsequent struggles.

Just for the sake of balance,did they not sell anybody at all?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 19 Dec 2012 19:33

Reading West is there any chance of us avoiding gatecrashing this "elusive" group :cry:

I can't see us beating Leicester's 28 points. Beating Watford's 24 will be tough.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 19 Dec 2012 19:54

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Reading West is there any chance of us avoiding gatecrashing this "elusive" group :cry:

I can't see us beating Leicester's 28 points. Beating Watford's 24 will be tough.

I think we need a new post. Or maybe Ill start a sweepstake at work.

How many points will we get? Numbers allowed are 10 through to 15, or 16+ :oops:

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1